Harrison Bailey

I know you're gone and all, but if CPJ had listened to literally anyone, he would have been able to modify his offense enough to keep defenses on their toes and would have focused more on recruiting. This is coming from someone who loves CPJ.

Wasn't that exactly what happened in 2013? Didn't 2014 prove that it wasn't necessary?

I think it could've worked going by modifying it, but i think it would've meant leaving the flexbone instead of trying to do more formations. Considering the importance of timing to that offense, I don't think he could do both and I don't think he was going to abandon the flex.

That's a lot of why I think monken is the right choice. He's willing to adapt to the new looks but use the same concepts.

I know a guy that works for the Athletic department up here in Knoxville. He said Bailey was a solid talent, but supposedly was struggling with grades maybe. He also heard that all the QB's were asked to study the playbook and he basically didn't as the other competitors did.
If that’s the case, and I’m not saying it is, it’s not worth the effort. UT is a dogshit school. If any athlete is struggling there academically it’s a nonstarter for us. Hopefully that’s not the case with Mr Bailey with the competition being king and whatnot

Wasn't that exactly what happened in 2013? Didn't 2014 prove that it wasn't necessary?

I think it could've worked going by modifying it, but i think it would've meant leaving the flexbone instead of trying to do more formations. Considering the importance of timing to that offense, I don't think he could do both and I don't think he was going to abandon the flex.

That's a lot of why I think monken is the right choice. He's willing to adapt to the new looks but use the same concepts.
Yeah people who complain about not modifying the offense don't remember pistol and diamond and Vad Lee transferring away and a whole bunch more of the saga. And people who complain that CPJ couldn't recruit forget a whole bunch of great RB's that signed with us but who ended up not contributing for various reasons having little to do with their 'talent.'

CPJ got wore down, and when he wasn't winning at the level he wanted to, his grumpy old man schtick started to get under everyone's skin really fast (including the players). I have a friend who worked very closely with CPJ who decided to leave after working with him for just a few years because he could be such a jerk.

And I'm sure the fact that option football is not played in the NFL played a part in all the problems, too. But there were lots others.

Yeah people who complain about not modifying the offense don't remember pistol and diamond and Vad Lee transferring away and a whole bunch more of the saga. And people who complain that CPJ couldn't recruit forget a whole bunch of great RB's that signed with us but who ended up not contributing for various reasons having little to do with their 'talent.'

CPJ got wore down, and when he wasn't winning at the level he wanted to, his grumpy old man schtick started to get under everyone's skin really fast (including the players). I have a friend who worked very closely with CPJ who decided to leave after working with him for just a few years because he could be such a jerk.

And I'm sure the fact that option football is not played in the NFL played a part in all the problems, too. But there were lots others.
CPJ came from a place (Navy) where any discipline issues were pretty much taken care of for him. He had come from a place (Ga. Sou) where there were little restrictions on recruiting. Tech offers all the best of both worlds: We require that football players actually go to class and take a relevant math class, yet we also require that we compete with the Clemson's and UGA's of the world. When have you last heard of a UGA or Clemson player not playing because of being academically ineligible? Not very often. At Tech? yep. "Off the field" issues have different meanings at the factories. Basically, Tech is a coach killer.

CPJ came from a place (Navy) where any discipline issues were pretty much taken care of for him. He had come from a place (Ga. Sou) where there were little restrictions on recruiting. Tech offers all the best of both worlds: We require that football players actually go to class and take a relevant math class, yet we also require that we compete with the Clemson's and UGA's of the world. When have you last heard of a UGA or Clemson player not playing because of being academically ineligible? Not very often. At Tech? yep. "Off the field" issues have different meanings at the factories. Basically, Tech is a coach killer.
When’s the last time a Tech player has been ineligible? James Graham?

I think that's ridiculous and an example of the self-defeating attitude that has held GT back for a very long time.

Georgia Tech has been historically good until Bill Lewis practically wrecked (pun not intended) the program.

I think it’s ridiculous too. But it’s true. Pretending an issue does not exist does not make it go away. I rely on 40+ years of tech fandom for this statement.
I'm a long time Tech fan too (so what? that's irrelevant), and pretending the issue exists does not make it so. Whatever effect curricular limits and academic demands had on Tech's success in years past has little to do with anything going on these days.

Back