Haynes King

Love Haynes King. He's a baller. Best thrower since Godsey, no question.

IMG_3050.jpeg

How so?

I guess you wanted us to call more touchdowns and long gains?

Very thoughtful post.
He has many, many still frequently unused strengths. No play is guaranteed to work, but we should at least try a more varied approach to what he can do. I don't remember seeing any crossing routes last night. Did I miss one? And we really haven't seen many at all in the first 4 games. I would also love to see more option plays, and not just the RPO.

He has many, many still frequently unused strengths. No play is guaranteed to work, but we should at least try a more varied approach to what he can do. I don't remember seeing any crossing routes last night. Did I miss one? And we really haven't seen many at all in the first 4 games. I would also love to see more option plays, and not just the RPO.
Yes, for instance, where was the speed option last night the quick toss off the snap. It seemed it was either up the gut or a throw wide. And why so much lateral stuff? We were gashing them vertically when we tried. King did try to force a few passes deep and one got picked off. Maybe they were just not wanting to risk the INT with such a tenuous lead.

Yes, for instance, where was the speed option last night the quick toss off the snap. It seemed it was either up the gut or a throw wide. And why so much lateral stuff? We were gashing them vertically when we tried. King did try to force a few passes deep and one got picked off. Maybe they were just not wanting to risk the INT with such a tenuous lead.
Probably because we have speed and we're wanting to get speed in space. We aren't a power back team. If we can clean up edge blocking and make the correct reads, those plays are big hit plays.

Probably because we have speed and we're wanting to get speed in space. We aren't a power back team. If we can clean up edge blocking and make the correct reads, those plays are big hit plays.
We definitely don’t have a power back. I’m not sure if it’s an ability or a want issue, but we do not have that guy and we need him.

I think next year Singleton judges that ball differently and either catches it our prevents an INT. GREAT QB’s have receivers that make that throw a non issue.

I think next year Singleton judges that ball differently and either catches it our prevents an INT. GREAT QB’s have receivers that make that throw a non issue.
Yep. On the one miss in the EZ, Singleton slipped as he was coming back to the ball. That tactic is almost impossible to defend and almost all top WR can do it.

Anyway, King is a very solid QB. The best all-around QB since JT5 with a much more accurate arm.

I don’t think we want King running many option plays. He slightly built and not a natural runner. Can’t have him taking hits

Yep. On the one miss in the EZ, Singleton slipped as he was coming back to the ball. That tactic is almost impossible to defend and almost all top WR can do it.

Anyway, King is a very solid QB. The best all-around QB since JT5 with a much more accurate arm.

One of the replay angles showed him turn to the right as the ball was in the air, so he had to turnaround and go back to the left. Not sure if that’s on him or King.

31 yds to Avery Boyd which opened up the deep ball to Junnuh later that drive. It was there all night if we stopped taking the vertical shots every time we passed.

In play calling and thoughtfulness in moving the ball. There were many moments in the last three drives where the play calling was questionable.
Not sure I'd label this regressive because it seems to be a common and consistent theme. Maybe we are having difficulty readjusting to the 2nd half adjustments. Haynes King seems to bail the offense out with his.legs when the offense needs a spark, but no doubt the play calling seems questionable at different high stress times during the game when our lead should have been more comfortable than we all knew it was.

Not sure I'd label this regressive because it seems to be a common and consistent theme. Maybe we are having difficulty readjusting to the 2nd half adjustments. Haynes King seems to bail the offense out with his.legs when the offense needs a spark, but no doubt the play calling seems questionable at different high stress times during the game when our lead should have been more comfortable than we all knew it was.
Except that this is a recurrent theme this season, I can see why CBF went to a "hold the ball" approach in the 2nd half:
1. Wake's O was on the field a lot and the D was showing some signs of fatigue (that we've seen in previous games?).
2. Wake's O is built around holding the ball and grinding out TD's. They may have wanted to force them into a quick strike approach, thinking we could pin our ears back and attack the QB and force TOs. If so, then that worked - but that's just a guess on my part.

In play calling and thoughtfulness in moving the ball. There were many moments in the last three drives where the play calling was questionable.
The last 2 possessions before the half were abysmal. Both were on the short side of the field , one inside the 20 y/l. We got no TD , but 2 field goals to make it 20 to 3 at the half! BS play calling, could have cost us the game!

One of the replay angles showed him turn to the right as the ball was in the air, so he had to turnaround and go back to the left. Not sure if that’s on him or King.
In my uneducated opinion, King was throwing to a spot, trying to throw Singleton open. WR read it too but slipped in the change of direction to get to the spot. This kind of stuff is impossible to defend so I like the try and have to assume our guys eventually get the reads and timing down.

We got way too conservative in the second half. You can't bleed the clock the entire second half unless you have at least a 4 TD lead. We ran the ball on first down way too many times in the second half and unable to get any yardage. Wake knew it and was loading the box. The short pass plays were there and could have gained us some big plays if Buster would have taken the chances. Again, we have to learn and improve each game moving forward and so do our coaches.

Back