Haynes King

But on the few occasions when he has run it, he gained yards every time.

For sure. I think his runs are going to be very strategic, for really important plays, like when he kept it on the option to ice the game in the 4th.

Have we gone a single season since 2007 without a QB getting hurt? Would be nice to keep #10 healthy all year

We got way too conservative in the second half. You can't bleed the clock the entire second half unless you have at least a 4 TD lead. We ran the ball on first down way too many times in the second half and unable to get any yardage. Wake knew it and was loading the box. The short pass plays were there and could have gained us some big plays if Buster would have taken the chances. Again, we have to learn and improve each game moving forward and so do our coaches.
Have we passed the ball at all on first downs this year? Other than that ridiculous wide-out (or whatever it's called) to a man already standing face to face with a defender? That was the first offensive play of the game last night, and, as usual, it went nowhere at all. In fact, in all the times that Buster has called that play this season, I can only think of one time that it actually worked and gained yardage.

Have we passed the ball at all on first downs this year? Other than that ridiculous wide-out (or whatever it's called) to a man already standing face to face with a defender? That was the first offensive play of the game last night, and, as usual, it went nowhere at all. In fact, in all the times that Buster has called that play this season, I can only think of one time that it actually worked and gained yardage.
Some plays are run expressly to set up other plays. That play keeps the defender tight to the line. I'd have to go back and rewatch to be sure of the details but our first TD pass was to that side of the field, maybe to the same WR and maybe out of the same formation.

I'm guessing about the "setup" idea but it might make sense.

Some plays are run expressly to set up other plays. That play keeps the defender tight to the line. I'd have to go back and rewatch to be sure of the details but our first TD pass was to that side of the field, maybe to the same WR and maybe out of the same formation.

I'm guessing about the "setup" idea but it might make sense.
We used to run plays out of the option for the same reason. And people bitched about it.

I think even King would agree that game was not up to where he wants to be. That would have been a great game for most prior GT QB's. King has established he is better than that.
I agree with your assessment. I'll also add that his football 'IQ' is above average also. When he does tuck it and run, it is purposeful. When he throws the football, he's aware enough to know that a 'bad' throw won't kill us field position wise....hence his overthrow interception last night.

I think whats being missed as it relates to the offense having some 2nd half issues are:

1. Year 1 in the 3rd new offense / OC in 3 years.

2. GT while deep at WR, isn’t at the level they want it to be from a size standpoint. If GT can hold on and sign Canion, Young and Horne, I think the staff will be exited about the WR room going into 2024. Both Canion and Horne have the size. Young is the slot type. The wild card is Greco. I know he’s coming in as a DB, but is a very good WR. Doesn’t look like GT will need to go to the Portal for any WR’s this year, unless someone leaves.

3. TE position still needs an upgrade. Maybe GT can add an impact transfer here.

4. GT does not have a bruising back. Of the 3 commits, only Maddox fits the mold.

5. OL is still a work in progress. While we’ve seen growth this year, the consistently especially with run blocking should improve over time. GT has 3 solid commits along the OL.

I expect the 2024 offense will be even better than what we’ve seen so far this year. For all the complaints some have had, Faulkner has done a pretty damn good job turning the liability of the last 4 years into a solid offense. And Haynes King has a LOT to do with it.

For sure. I think his runs are going to be very strategic, for really important plays, like when he kept it on the option to ice the game in the 4th.

Have we gone a single season since 2007 without a QB getting hurt? Would be nice to keep #10 healthy all year
that was avery good call by the coaches. We needed one like that in Louisville game but give them credit this time - nice call.

I like King - does a good job. For the most part very accurate passer and has good mobility. Occasionally will not get his feet under him properly before throwing but in general throws with a high degree of accuracy. I'm still not sure what happened to the offense in the 2nd half but seemed to me just got too conservative such that Wake knew what the next play was going to be for us. Need to keep the foot on the gas. The prime example was in last minute before half when I though we had a chance to go for the jugular and we ran the ball and let the clock run down. We were ina spot I thought we should have let it fly.

This is going to sound trivial, but I noticed he stopped using his crutch phrase "at the end of the day" in the presser last night. I figure someone mentioned it because it was distracting and he took the advice. I like that. He has talent all over and if he is also capable of taking constructive advice/suggestions he is only going to get a fuller and fuller range of skills.

Ain't that the truth? There are always two defenders in the flat, the other receiver fails to get the block and the receiver who makes the catch does not have time to make the cut to elude the other defender and it gets blown up before it ever has a chance. I imagine if it ever breaks there are not many other defenders to stop a big play, but it never seems to work for us. Like you say it's just a wasted down.

Ain't that the truth? There are always two defenders in the flat, the other receiver fails to get the block and the receiver who makes the catch does not have time to make the cut to elude the other defender and it gets blown up before it ever has a chance. I imagine if it ever breaks there are not many other defenders to stop a big play, but it never seems to work for us. Like you say it's just a wasted down.
Maybe this is CBF playing the long game. Gonna open the uga game with a pump fake to the flats as Singleton goes deep.

Those plays are all timing. Getting the ball out to the slotback in less than about 1.5 sec is key. He then has a chance to make the DB miss, and if he misses then it’s off to the races.

Those plays are all timing. Getting the ball out to the slotback in less than about 1.5 sec is key. He then has a chance to make the DB miss, and if he misses then it’s off to the races.
It's also a low risk play that gets the QB settled in.

Back