Here we go again. Conference expansion

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
According to Paul Finebald this is a done deal.
The Big 12 and Longhorn network must have gotten a horrible financial outlook. And with TAM rising, Texas must be looking to reverse the path they are on.

It is still going to be a political nightmare. OSU, TT, and Baylor would be huge losers if UT and OU leave.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
The Big 12 and Longhorn network must have gotten a horrible financial outlook. And with TAM rising, Texas must be looking to reverse the path they are on.

It is still going to be a political nightmare. OSU, TT, and Baylor would be huge losers if UT and OU leave.
It will undoubtedly have a huge effect. I could see the big 10 and ACC trying to form a second super conference. They will have to find someway to balance the money.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
This is a blatant "buy your way in" scenario. The math on this is easy for the SEC.

1 conference champ + at least 3 of the remaining 6 at-large bids = 4 teams in the playoffs every year. They will win the national championship most years.

The one saving grace here is that the playoff expansion hasn't been approved, and obviously the remaining AD's will NOT vote for the recently proposed model until this is settled. At a minimum, I would expect someone to introduce a rule that sets a limit on the number of teams selected from a single conference.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
They haven't gotten in anywhere because they don't expand the footprint of any conference and thus they don't add revenue to the conference. SEC? Already got Florida. ACC? Already got FSU and Miami. The only 'big' conference that they would help is the Big12 and geographically it would be a worse fit for them than WVU.
Yep, that's ACC commissioner type thinking right there. If you think FSU and Miami have the Orlando market you might be of the mindset that FSU and Miami will fight it out for the ACC Championship every year; so keep the divisions as they are and hold the conference championship in Tampa. Think of it this way, Clemson is significantly closer to Atlanta than either Miami or FSU are to Orlando.

You are right about the SEC and UF though, UCF and UF are too close together to benefit the SEC. UF is about 1.5 hours from Orlando, it is sort of like UGA being in Atlanta.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
UCF would bring more to the ACC than Louisville long term. UL caught lightning in a bottle as they were just past their peak when Maryland bolted.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
I think both UCF and West Virginia would "work" if the ACC went to 16 teams. It's just not really a home run when talking tv money and they're hardly sexy picks either.

How many times has tech reached out to join the sec? We could take Clemson with us lol
Having the SEC block the B1G's ability to expand into the south is probably a best case scenario. The SEC's order of preference is probably something like Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Louisville, NC State, Miami, North Carolina.

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader
Is there any chance of us rejoining the SEC, or is that even an option?
My understanding was that the gaggers had a mutual agreement with a couple of other sec schools to block Tech ever coming back in, in exchange for the gaggers voting no for the other schools.

theDude47

Dodd-Like
We’ll definitely pick up West Virginia, which should have come in with Louisville because the ACC gave up on the academic reputation. Notre Dame will be the wild card. The new 12 team playoff works well for them, so we’ll need some other incentive to get them to become a full football member.

theDude47

Dodd-Like
No reason to bring a 3rd Florida team. Take Cincy if you have to dip into the AAC.
Cincy makes the most sense if we can’t force Notre Dame’s hand. They have many historical rivals in the ACC and would open up Ohio for us. They’re still somewhat of a commuter school but they’ve been making big advances over the last 10 years to overcome that.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Yep, that's ACC commissioner type thinking right there. If you think FSU and Miami have the Orlando market you might be of the mindset that FSU and Miami will fight it out for the ACC Championship every year; so keep the divisions as they are and hold the conference championship in Tampa. Think of it this way, Clemson is significantly closer to Atlanta than either Miami or FSU are to Orlando.

You are right about the SEC and UF though, UCF and UF are too close together to benefit the SEC. UF is about 1.5 hours from Orlando, it is sort of like UGA being in Atlanta.
Not disputing the geography, but is the Orlando market really that coveted? And the ACC Network is already available there, right?

aeromech

Dodd-Like
No reason to bring a 3rd Florida team. Take Cincy if you have to dip into the AAC.
I see your reasoning there. I really wish we had added UCF instead of Miami. I think Miami had already peaked whereas UCF has potential for substantial growth.

Neither WVU or Cincy excite me much, they are about like Memphis to me. I guess WVU has a more significant program history?

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
Here's my perfect 60 team super conference. I'll break it down by divisions. No intra divisional play count for conference record. Must play all teams in your division. No conference champion - only divisional champs. Division champs and division standings are set by contracted bowls. No computers. No playoff. Vote by the coaches and media on a MNC. Argue for eternity on a mythical matchup that never happened. Both sides dig in their trenches. Both sides now cheer for the other side to lose every game from this point forward...decades after the fact even.

Like God intended...

Big MidWest Division
OSU
UM
MSU
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa

Atlantic Division
GT
FSU
Clemson
Duke
UNC
NC State
Wake
UVA
Maryland

Southern Division
UF
UGA
UT
Kentucky
Auburn
Bama
Ole Miss
MSU
LSU
Vandy

Southwest Division
UT
A&M
Baylor
TTU
Arkansas
TCU
SMU
Houston

Big VIII Division
NU
OU
OSU
ISU
KU
KSU
CU
Mizz

Pacific Division
UCLA
USC
Arizona
ASU
Stanford
Cal
OU
OSU
UW
WSU

Indy Division (they can schedule whomever they want)
ND
PSU
UM

Can't Find Your School Listed Division
Go back to FCS where you belong. KTHKBI.