Honest question....B. Lewis vs C.Gailey

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
I liked it when Tech hired Bill Lewis in 92. Sharp dresser, handsome, college pedigree, and Tech ties. Although he was a boring speaker, he came across as an intelligent man who knew the big picture of college football. Was an above average recruiter, and was easily accessible to the media and alumni groups. His 5-6 seasons were the first cracks in his armor, but what really did him in, in my eyes, was the players dissent that led to many guys quitting and/or causing internal team problems. Lewis never gained control of his team, and it eventually bite him in the ass.
In the end, Lewis was gracious in his firing, showing great emotion and love for Ga. Tech. He went as far as to apologize to Tech people for his shortcomings.
Bill Lewis was a failure at Tech, but a good guy who appreciated the opportunity he was given, and seemed to do his best to the end.
Gailey has many similarities with Lewis, and many differences. His hire came as a complete surprise to me. I had never heard of him before he was hired, so I didn't have an opinion (good or bad) at the start. I didn't ever get any warm fuzzies from any of his limited comments to the press. He seemed distant then, and he continues to appear distant and removed. The modern college game seems to be a puzzle to him, that hopefully he has finally figured out. He shows no apparent love for Ga. Tech, and does not know, or has he taken the time to learn, its great football history.
As Gailey prepares for his 2nd season, I would rate him far below where I rated Lewis at the start of his 2nd season. Don't get me wrong, Lewis's firing was needed, and it came late, as the wheels had fallen completely off the Tech wagon by that time.
I fear the same scenerio happening again, quite frankly. Surprise...Surprise. But I am interested in how StinGTalkers compare and contrast the two coaches. To me, the similarities outnumber the differences, and that is a very bad thing for Tech fans.
BOO

BDG,

Ask after game 5. Until then, it's all just a re-re-re-hashing of all the old Gailey arguements, pro and con.

Bet you knew that when you posted this topic....

My sentiments are similar to 71 Yellowjacket, I do indeed have my fears based on some awful scenes from last season. Conversely, I don't know all the factors that brought that about. To Chan's credit he has brought in new blood and completely reorganized his staff and to me that signifies that he himself was not too overjoyed
about the things he saw a year ago. Another factor that certainly didn't help Chan was his boss's putting constraints on him and making many
things harder on him than they should have been. I wonder if he had a free hand in choosing his staff or if Dave made some strong suggestions about some that Dave wanted to keep and conversely
he could have wanted Chan to fire some of O'Leary's staff that CG would have retained. Anyway we do know that we wound up with a staff that continually had our team ill prepared to play as well as some wierd play calling.

After saying that, I do have some trepidations about both the short term as well as the long term
success of our team. I wouldn't be as worried about our team if we had a strong AD but we are going to be in trouble if we have to make a coaching change with Dave in command.
Another factor that is of great concern to me is that we have such a tough schedule along with our shaky QB and RB situation. I fear we could start 0-4 or 1-3 and the team will lose it's confidence but we all know that in football that the best team doesn't always win so maybe if we can spring
an upset our team could be emboldened to have a decent year.

In any event I too will withhold judgment until I see how we play. We won't have to go 4-0 for me to be proud of this team, for all they have to do is to play hard and smart and this Tech NUT will be proud of them. However, if we see our team look like a rerun of 2002 I will be very discouraged.

Hadn't heard of Chan before we hired him? I've always thought of Chan as a good coach. Was excited when the Cowboys hired him and thought they made a mistake when they got rid of him. Of course Jerry Jones is a bonehead and had previously run Jimmy Johnson off. Of course, he is a Georgia native and I am partial to him and Dan Reeves. Bill Lewis has nowhere near the football smarts that Chan Gailey has. Lewis didn't have the connections Chan has. Chan has put some real good assistants on our sidelines.

I don't follow pro ball, so I didn't know Gailey before the hire. I did not mean that noone had heard of him.

Personally, I don't think Bill Lewis and Chan Gailey's styles of coaching or their circumstances are the same except in one area.

I think Bill Lewis had some internal player dissatisfaction due to the choice of the quarterback he played. I think he had good enough players to succeed, but the internal problems of the team did him in

It is possible, these internal problems were of his own making from reading between the lines of posters both here and on The Hive. Then again, maybe he was the victim of circumstances.

I believe Gailey has the best coaching credentials of any first time coach to ever come to Tech, even Lewis. I am aware, potential is only that, and does not guarantee success. He has been successful every place he has coached so far.

I think Gailey's probems have also been internal to the dissatisfaction of some of the players on the team. I am convinced that was the main problem with last years team, and the failures of some of the athletes in the Spring quarter.

I believe Gailey was urged by Braine to keep both O'Brien and Roof. I think Braine probably told Gailey some of the present football players would leave the team if O'Brien and Roof were not retained.

It would have been better if Gailey had put Nix in charge of the offense and sent O'Brien packing. I am not sure about Roof at this time. He may have worked out staying, but not as the DC. Gailey did what he had to do, and Roof did what he had to do. No harm, no foul.

Sure, some of the players loyal to O'Leary, O,Brien, McWhorter, and others probably would have left the team, but then everyone would have known the reason why. It would have come out in the papers and publications at GT.

Some of the players have probably left for this same reason. I would not be surprised if McHargue and Pena left because O'Brien was given the axe and some of the remaining players in the Spring Quarter got to them because of the release of other key personnel and coaching staff.

I would not be surprised if some of the players did not fail on purpose. It has been stated on the boards that some of them quit going to classes.

I believe the problems with last years team was strictly internal with some dissatisfied players.

I believe the dissatisfied players on the team, and a core group of Tech people in sympathy with O'Leary, O'Brien, McWhorter, McHargue, Pena, and others were trying to oust Gailey.

There were some other key personnel released from Tech in sympathy with the ones mentioned above. This core group of people all seem to have one thing in common. I think they banded together to try and oust both Braine and Gailey because of the release of all these key people and football staff.

I don't know if the fact Gailey was Baptist had anything to do with it or not, but it probably did not help his cause in this case with this core group. I feel sure the release of O'Brien and other key personalities did not help his cause with this group.

I suspected this when a certain poster on Stingtalk continually bashed Gailey before he ever coached a down at Tech. I accused him many times on Stingtalk of having another motive for bashing Gailey. The bashing started as soon as Gailey was hired. I am sure most know of whom I am referencing.

Last year's squad was a ticking time-bomb with the players because of the releases of a lot of key personnel who were close to like minded players on the team. It is a wonder we won any games last year.

Now, if you want to chase rabbits, reload your guns and make sure you know what you are shooting at. Don't shoot at the first thing you see. Some of these people don't have on their bright orange safety jackets.

All of the above is my theory based on some investigations I have made plus some assumptions on my part. There are more key angles, but it is left to you to find them out.

Now, find out why there was a core group of posters trying to oust Gailey and have continued to do so even though it is obvious he will be here this year to coach the team.

I will admit their silence this past week has been deafening. It is possible they have gotten wind the true reason for their dislike of Gailey will be discovered.

wink.gif

NCJacket, you can downplay any cabal for your own reasoning, but it does not mean they do not exist.

wink.gif

Let me restate that asho, I don't believe your hypothesis. I'm sure there are people who don't like Gailey as our coach and wish someone else had the job. But you sound like Hillary on this one and I'm not buying.
smile.gif

Ahso,

Why even load your gun with the religious faith reference if you did not expect to have targets w/ this conspiracy theory?

IMHO, assumption is the correct word on your part.

hitit.gif

Pjjacket, you are doing the same thing that 71 is assuming. You are assuming it has to do with Gailey being a Baptist.

I have not stated that, however, it is slightly possible that may have a little part in it. I really don't know about that part, but knowing human natue, I can see why it could possibly have a minor role in this particular situation.

I included it, because it could well play a minor role.

At any rate, don't aim your guns at that aspect of it. I am assuming, from much I have read from the boards and the news articles, things have not always been peachy with O'Leary and the present administration.

There was probably no love lost between Braine and O'Leary when he departed. Since we all know Braine and/or Clough changed the academic tutoring system immediately after O'Leary left tends to indicate the system was abrasive to both parties.

It seems the cleaning house of a certain segment of the population at Tech might have ruffled a lot of feathers among some of the players and those losing their jobs in the house cleaning.

Remember the poster I mentioned who immediately began his tirade against Gailey as soon as he was hired, and who was loyal to McWhorter, O'Leary, and O'Brien. Remember the poster only liked one remaining coach on the staff and it was O'Brien.

Aim your guns in the direction of the house cleaning and those it affected. I believe this to be the core group wanting Braine and Gailey outsted.

Do they have a right to feel as they do? That might also be possible from their side of the fence, but I believe this to be the catalyst for the attempt to remove both Braine and Gailey.

Does Braine need to be removed? I really don't know? Does Gailey need to be removed? My only opinion on this is a coach has to have some time to overcome obstacles, as possibly a situation such as the above.

drinking.gif

1. Bill Lewis's decision to bench the top rated HS QB in the country in favor of a mediocre transfer was a headscratcher. I wasn't around for it but I would think that was a disasterously boneheaded move that could split a team right down the middle. It certainly seemed to be a pre-cursor of the events that followed. The team did quit.

2. Gailey's surprise/shocking announcement by DB was an extremely ill-conceived move. One that appears to have not been given much thought at all. "It's a secret but I think it's somebody everyone will like" or something to that effect is the way I remember it. Would have made a lot of difference the way things panned out if CG's name could have been in the hat with all the other names earlier on. There never was a opportunity for public debate until after he was hired! Well, thanks a lot Dave! Did you think we just wouldn't care?

3. Gailey's transition with several popular staff out and a bunch of staff, 'greener' at TECH than the players, in makes for a bittersweet situation. I'm sure some of the players were disappointed, if not crestfallen, and I've got $20.00 that says many thoughts and feelings were shared and discussed. Not surprised there was some instabilty and/or loss of enthusiasm in the ranks. It's ashame CG couldn't have done more to shore up the boat but unfortunately the bright side in situations such as this is that it could have been a lot worse. The bar was probably set a little too high last year CONSIDERING THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

4. Bobby Ross resigned to go to the NFL, arguably a professional football coach's dream. Look at Steve Spurrier. He was set for life at UF but just had to give it a try. Competitive people are like that (especially when you have a boy wonder throwing tons of cash at you as in SS's case). George O'Leary's departure got worse and worse as it went along turning into a disgrace that I'm sure hurt many people other than just GOL. The whole O'Leary debacle and passing of the baton was extremely traumatic. We can be proud that we kept our heads up but normally a mess like that requires a re-adjustment (read: healing) period.

5. Gailey and Lewis are similar in temperment. Their situations were unique. Both men are fine, upstanding people and will be successful in life regardless of their coaching records at TECH. Gailey's test continues this season and it hasn't gotten a whole lot easier. Some of the wounds will have healed, fresh faces will meet not so fresh faces and new people will step forward. It won't be easy but it will be a new day at Georgia Tech. With a balance of prayer and vigilance CG could very well avoid the fate that befell B*** L****.

Ahso, you are a very respected poster but you lost me on this one. Do you have any evidence of
dissension in our ranks or were you throwing mud against the wall to see how much would stick? I am aware that you qualified some of your assertions but you came across as if you were very convinced that we were torn by internal discord.

I know that any time there is a coaching change that there will always be someone unhappy but you just blindsided me with some of your observations.
Do you have credible contacts that have informed
you of this division or is this just logical deductions from the things gleaned from newspapers
and message boards? I too have wondered if things were clicking between coaches and players and of course I had thoughts that the players may not all
be on the same page but the scenario that you
portrayed is disturbing if true.
I would appreciate it if you would elaborate more fully why you feel the currents are running that strongly and why.

I am not bringing your rectitude into question, but buddy you have me concerned.

No way you can compare Lewis...yet. He may or may not have similarities, but this season will tell all. For the sake of our program, let's hope not, but I'll not be surprised.

Sadly, I have the same fears regarding Gailey but I also fear the academic situation even more. I am worried that Gailey, Braine, and Clough will undue in 2 years what it took O'Leary and his staff 5 years to build. I hope that I am wrong....

Ahso, it sounds like you are trying to open your own "Mystery Dinner Theatre"

I think what you have written is absurd. Giving clues, and then instructions on how to find the bread crumb path.....but not so fast, my friend, watch out for false clues, its all so ridiculous!

If you had the facts (something you berate on those that you don't agree with), you would share them. Using your own logic, your statements are void of facts, and therefore are simply opinions, which are meaningless.

Part of the reason that this so called anti Chan debate goes on is the same as the democrats defending Clinton in the face of his detractors.
The detractors would like to move on, if they could.

Chan had a real bad year. 7-6 notwithstanding, it stunk. No discipline, no organization, biggest blowout loss to our rival, dissention, flunkouts, etc............

Its a new year. You trying to create Techgate with no FACTS is a negative that nobody who cares about Tech needs.

LLCoolJacket, You state my post is absurd and rediculous. Those are not facts, just your opinion.

I believe, if you read my past posts, you will find I have stated my respect for other's opinions. I challenge poster's statements as facts when they are actually untrue. I then post facts to prove they are untrue.

You will note in the post, I said I believe, think, etc. I gave my opinion, which you have a right to refuse to believe. Even if I could prove some of these statements, I offered them as opinions, so I don't have to prove them.

You can do the same as I attempt to do in my posts. If I find something that is untrue, I will gather the facts to prove they are untrue.

Your remaining rhetoric means little. If my opinions are false, prove them false. Have fun!

wink.gif

Thats not the point ahso, at least not mine. I hope that we (Tech fans collectively) are using this place to converse about, and learn more about Tech football via the opinons and FACTS that all the posters may have.

I really, really believe (stupidity intended) that you use this place to play with people, and Tech football is just a medium for it.

You attempt to be the Shivas Irons of football chatgroups, without the appropriate quaintness.

What are you like in real life?

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:

Part of the reason that this so called anti Chan debate goes on is the same as the democrats defending Clinton in the face of his detractors.
The detractors would like to move on, if they could.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually it's the detractors of Bush's VooDoo Economics who would like to move on...to Clinton's balanced budget.

(Couldn't resist
)

Back