Honest Question for GT fans from a UGA fan

dogworking

Varsity Lurker
You guys have always given us crap for hiring and firing our coaches so fast when they don't get the job done but now a lot of you guys want CCG gone after one year. You laughed at CMR last year for his freshman coaching mistakes. Do you think that UGA made the right desicion with CMR or not.

I think Mark Richt has done an excellent job at UGA. When I watch him in interviews or listen to him speak on the radio, he is very humble yet he also speaks with a subtle confidence. He has made some very brave calls in his short tenure - some have worked (Tenn., Clemson) some have not (Auburn, BC). This year they have all worked out, but I think eventually one will bite him. He has also kept his team very humble throughout this season. All you hear is the opponents talking smack - you don't hear UGA players opening their mouths. I feel he might have a serious quarterback debate come a SECC or National Championship game and next season. It would not be a huge surprise to see Shockley transfer. He appears to be a good recruiter as well, though right now alot of these players are Donnan's. He inherited more talent than Chan and appears to be off to a better recruiting start in his tenure. UGA always has and always will have better talent than Tech, but I think the reason Tech has had the upper hand recently is because of the execution of the players. Donnan's players failed miserably at this and O'Leary's took advantage. I also think Richt is a much better motivator than Donnan. That is what Tech lacked last year at the end. I think Richt is off to a great start, but a job down at FSU might be looming. It will be interesting to see what he would do if and when the opportunity came. My bet is that he stays because he doesn't want to follow a legend.

MR is a good hire for Georgia. He brings 2 things that Donnan lacked...PR skills and the ability to keep the team focused. The attitude of the players over there has changed drastically under Richt, and it's for the better.

He was a good (but not great) coordinator at FSU. He's made some good and bad calls since coming to UGA. But I don't think that stuff is as important as keeping the team focused and preparing them during the week.

His recruiting skills seem to be very good.

Overall, UGA has hired a winner with CMR. It looks like you guys are about to even the score and then some with alot of your rivals that consistently beat you during the Goff/Donnan years. I just hope that Gailey can do for us what MR seems to be doing for Georgia.

Ugag will be happy for years to come that they were smart enough to pass on Chan Gailey and then hire Mark Richt.
The jury is obviously still out on how good Richt will be for the long term, but for the short term Richt was clearly a superior choice. Richt did not require the extensive Division 1 college learning curve that we are painfully going through with Gailey.
Mainly due to the different coaching hires, Ugag's expectations are very high and Tech's are virtually nil. Sad, really.

Originally posted by beeware:
Ugag will be happy for years to come that they were smart enough to pass on Chan Gailey and then hire Mark Richt.
The jury is obviously still out on how good Richt will be for the long term, but for the short term Richt was clearly a superior choice. Richt did not require the extensive Division 1 college learning curve that we are painfully going through with Gailey.
Mainly due to the different coaching hires, Ugag's expectations are very high and Tech's are virtually nil. Sad, really.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Beeware, since when did you start being harsh on Gailey? This must be new stuff from you.

Originally posted by beeware:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I for one do not agree with this opinion... and I think you will find that the majority of the Tech family are quite happy with CCG... and look forward to great success in the future.

The dogs made a terrific hire in Richt, he seems to be sharp and he doesn't make the same mistake twice. Our situation seems to be different, we hired an experienced coach who seems to lack the burning desire to win as your coach does. The jury is still out on Chan-he has never headed a big time college program before and he will be judged based on how quickly he can grow into the job. I am hopeful but not ecstatic.

I think that Richt was a good (not great) hire by UGAg and he's done pretty good, B+. He is an A+ recruiter and that is his most obvious strength to me at this point.

UGAg has been a very good little gig for Richt, preparing him well for his triumphant return in December as head coach of the Criminoles.

Big Buck, I can understand someone questioning Chan and you have made it very clear you don't like him. But where do you get that he doesn't have a burning desire to win? How does one judge that in another person? Just because he doesn't exhibit something in a way that you would or that you recognize doesn't mean it doesn't exist. To me that's a bigger insult than most of what BeeWare says and one I don't think you have any evidence for or reason to say.

Absolutely, the decision to hire CMR was an excellent one. Speaking of those who are/were ready to terminate Chan, I seem to remember last year that there were several times that such sentiment (firing) deluged your message boards as well. CMR has done a splendid job, and absolutly the most important thing he has done is hire the right staff. It has been said a million times, but it remains to be true (and sometimes overlooked) that a coach will be no greater than the staff he has. Everything rises and falls on the staff's abilities. I will be more impressed if CMR loses some of his present staff and hires equally good ones in their place.

I like Richt, and I like the way Gailey has performed in the past.

I will have to wait until the end of the year to give my honest opinion of Gailey's first year. It will have a lot to do with the rest of the season, and the changes made at the end of the season. Also, the recruiting results will have a bearing.

Georgia's problem may be keeping Richt from FSU.

drinking.gif

wink.gif

Ok, some puppy-breath has asked for our opinion of their soon to be gone HC and many of our best and brighest have shared their's with him.

But let's not get carried away and ask for a dog's opinion of our coaches.

Good grief....He is only a mutt

pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

Originally posted by Big Buck:
The dogs made a terrific hire in Richt, he seems to be sharp and he doesn't make the same mistake twice. Our situation seems to be different, we hired an experienced coach who seems to lack the burning desire to win as your coach does. The jury is still out on Chan-he has never headed a big time college program before and he will be judged based on how quickly he can grow into the job. I am hopeful but not ecstatic.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Big Buck... I have to laugh here... just what burning desire does Richt exude? It amuses me how people point out his lack of emotions on the sideline as being a positive... and in the same breath acuse Gailey of lacking a burning desire?? Just how have you made the determination that Gailey doesnt have this burning desire... and Richt does? I am anxious to hear how you arrived at this conclusion... and to say that Richt doesnt make the same mistake twice... I think there were more than one game managment issues last year... I think the real difference is that UGA got behind Richt, even dismissed his mistakes last year... For some reason, some Tech followers can never seem to fully get behind their program...

Originally posted by jacketguy:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Big Buck:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Big Buck... I have to laugh here... just what burning desire does Richt exude? It amuses me how people point out his lack of emotions on the sideline as being a positive... and in the same breath acuse Gailey of lacking a burning desire?? Just how have you made the determination that Gailey doesnt have this burning desire... and Richt does? I am anxious to hear how you arrived at this conclusion... and to say that Richt doesnt make the same mistake twice... I think there were more than one game managment issues last year... I think the real difference is that UGA got behind Richt, even dismissed his mistakes last year... For some reason, some Tech followers can never seem to fully get behind their program...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Very good Jackeyguy

Jacketguy, I can answer why we are reluctant to stand up for CG as this point.He hasn't won as well as Richt( especially with a win over Tech).When CG does that it will show me something.

To all Jacket fans, be nice to the bulldog posters and lure them into a false sense of secutity, before we play them.

wink.gif

Back