House V. NCAA

As has already been alluded to-

Player X - joins the class’s action lawsuit - gimme my reparations!

Player X’s school - we can’t afford this! hey wait, what about the cash, car, job Player X got paid for that he never had to show up to. Let’s confess to our past crimes and save $$$ today.

More from Player X’s school - tuition, meals, room n board, academic assistance, tutors, gear, plane rides, etc. We don’t owe Player X jack öööö!

As has already been alluded to-

Player X - joins the class’s action lawsuit - gimme my reparations!

Player X’s school - we can’t afford this! hey wait, what about the cash, car, job Player X got paid for that he never had to show up to. Let’s confess to our past crimes and save $$$ today.

More from Player X’s school - tuition, meals, room n board, academic assistance, tutors, gear, plane rides, etc. We don’t owe Player X jack öööö!

What about the back taxes, interest, and penalties owed on all those N-I-L payments that will suddenly start flowing?

Is a S-A's scholly now income? Are S-A's now legally paid employees?

Lots of unintended consequences. Be careful what you wish for......

Maybe being a (former) walk-on isn't so bad after all.:coolugh:

There is very recent precedence for this.

The argument is that the schools didn't want players to be paid more than the cost of attendance, so they got together and agreed not to do that, even going so far as to write rules punishing schools who were found to pay players too much.

Regardless of morality or the unique nature of college football, this is very clearly an antitrust violation.

In the mid to late 2000s, tech worker salaries were increasing greatly. Executives at the tech companies made an informal agreement with each other not to actively try to hire each other's employees in order to keep the cost of hiring down.

In 2010 the Justice department launched an investigation into this, and a civil action was filed. Eventually the major tech companies settled for about half a billion dollars, which was distributed to workers at those companies during the time period in question (and to the lawyers, of course.)

Given that this isn't an informal agreement but literally a written set of rules with the stated purpose of capping compensation at the cost of attendance, I'd say there's definitely a chance the NCAA loses or ends up settling.

Oh boy, another "look at me" lawsuit that will never get off the ground.

How would they quantify their earning potential to say you made me miss out on X amount of dollars? It’s not like there was an exchange of services to dollars that was being withheld. I don’t think anything is gonna come of this.
Yeah I was wondering about that too. Even if the NCAA loses the lawsuit, there would still be a big fight over what damages are. Hard to argue with certainty that someone would of made a specific amount of money of NIL 20 years ago.

There is very recent precedence for this.

The argument is that the schools didn't want players to be paid more than the cost of attendance, so they got together and agreed not to do that, even going so far as to write rules punishing schools who were found to pay players too much.

Regardless of morality or the unique nature of college football, this is very clearly an antitrust violation.

In the mid to late 2000s, tech worker salaries were increasing greatly. Executives at the tech companies made an informal agreement with each other not to actively try to hire each other's employees in order to keep the cost of hiring down.

In 2010 the Justice department launched an investigation into this, and a civil action was filed. Eventually the major tech companies settled for about half a billion dollars, which was distributed to workers at those companies during the time period in question (and to the lawyers, of course.)

Given that this isn't an informal agreement but literally a written set of rules with the stated purpose of capping compensation at the cost of attendance, I'd say there's definitely a chance the NCAA loses or ends up settling.
This. There’s a similar lawsuit against realtors because they all agreed, then jointly enforced, that the cost to buy a house is 6% of the sale price, split evenly. They’re going to pay billions and it’s estimated that 80% of realtors will leave the industry, which probably needs to happen.

Similarly the schools will get hit hard and 80% of programs will shut down. That probably needs to happen anyway.

It all stopped being about “college” about 60 or so years ago.
I figure it stopped about the time the service academies became irrelevant.
They have a way more athletic student body that a typical school so they won big when scholarship athletes tended to have more in common with the rest of the student body. Then everybody brought in ringers.

Actually I know there were ringers probably within 5 years of the sport being invented.

I think I am going to sue Microsoft because they didn’t sell me their latest DOS before they had it.

And I’m suing them for not selling it to me first when they did.

Take from the more successful students and give to the less successful ones. Unelected governing body takes most of the money.

:coffee2:

Didn’t read the details but what does any of this have to do with the schools if they’re supposed to have nothing to do with NIL? Isn’t this just an NCAA issue?

Oh boy, another "look at me" lawsuit that will never get off the ground.

Wouldn't be so sure about that.

Mainly referencing this case.

However, the House case is much more significant, as it opens the door for direct pay to athletes by seeking the elimination of the NCAA’s NIL rules. One SEC president describes its outcome as financially “catastrophic.” There is talk of FBS schools each chipping in upwards of $5-10 million in potential settlement payments.

Back