How Can We Get Tech Football OFF Bally Sports, MASN, Blackout Zone, etc.?

I love watching Tech games so I'll do what it takes to make that happen. I bit the bullet and got DirectTV Stream at the start of the season. But it does, indeed, suck. Poor compatibility with my smart tv. No compatibility with my PS4. Can't even cast recorded games/programs to my Chromecast for some reason (I get an error message saying they're "working on" this functionality. WTF, this is 2021 and you're a streaming service. Ridiculous.) The second Hulu or YoutubeTV pick up Bally I'm dropping DirectTV like a bad habit.

I know that's what you said. I have WOW stream, and it's still a cable stream. How is DirecTV stream not a satellite stream? Not trying to be obstinate here. It's a serious question
DirecTV stream come through whatever internet provider you have (whether that’s DSL, Cable, Satellite, Fiber, or 4G/5G). It’s not satellite because you do not have to have a satellite receiver to pick it up.

That's because the Braves are paid millions by Bally (formerly FSS) to carry their games. Its not some sort of relegation it's the Braves choice to have their games there. Braves also play about a dozen games in ESPN or Fox each year. We watch almost every game. MLB is totally different than CFB.
Or we win so much we get an exclusive and lucrative deal with Bally like notre dame and nbc

I love watching Tech games so I'll do what it takes to make that happen. I bit the bullet and got DirectTV Stream at the start of the season. But it does, indeed, suck. Poor compatibility with my smart tv. No compatibility with my PS4. Can't even cast recorded games/programs to my Chromecast for some reason (I get an error message saying they're "working on" this functionality. WTF, this is 2021 and you're a streaming service. Ridiculous.) The second Hulu or YoutubeTV pick up Bally I'm dropping DirectTV like a bad habit.

I've been using DirecTV Stream (formerly AT&T TV) for about 18 months, and it has been just about flawless. I'm on AT&T fiber so that probably helps.

I use it on my phone, tablet, computers, several Roku devices, a FireTV stick, and two different smart TVs (Sony and TCL).

Roku has probably the best functionality outside of their streaming box they used to provide, and I highly recommend picking up a cheap Roku stick.

I've been using DirecTV Stream (formerly AT&T TV) for about 18 months, and it has been just about flawless. I'm on AT&T fiber so that probably helps.

I use it on my phone, tablet, computers, several Roku devices, a FireTV stick, and two different smart TVs (Sony and TCL).

Roku has probably the best functionality outside of their streaming box they used to provide, and I highly recommend picking up a cheap Roku stick.
I really don't think it's a bandwidth issue. I've used many streaming services (Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, PSVue (RIP), Disney+) and never had the issues I've had with DirectTV. I have to literally cold-reboot my TV to get it to work sometimes. I've seen online that the DirectTV app and Samsung just don't play well together for large numbers of people. Samsung. Top-selling TV in the US. They should maybe do something about that.

This is the answer, but it's annoying we have to go to these lengths. OP has a point, but I dunno the solution.
Yep. This Is The Way. Hope any mid-Atlantic Croots, families, buddies, girlfriends, etc. figure this out.

IMO, it should be very near TStan's top priority to pressure/lobby/influence the ACC to end this. It is an unforced error for our program.

Umm, I live in Northern Virginia. I have Cox Cable and added a modest sports package and I have not missed a Tech game in like 20 years. My package includes Fox Sports South, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, ACCN and some other stuff. On those rare - very rare- occasions when Tech is not on a Cox Cable channel, Cox includes a login to ESPN III that I can use.
I had Cox Cable (I also used to have Verizon). I still have Cox high speed Internet. $45/month.

Apparently I would need to add the Cox Contour TV Ultimate service to get ESPN, MASN, NFL Red Zone, etc.

Just for grins I went through the process to get to the final "discounted bundle" price for this. Out the door is $193.92/month. WITH a 12 month contract.

Fubo + Cox Internet runs just under $130/month. Has all the channels I care about that are in Cox Countour TV Ultimate EXCEPT ni MASN.

So that is $64/month just to see a few Tech football games on TV. Nothing else extra.

I'm sure all the Croots. Croot families, Croot friends, etc. are doing that. Definitely.

You are so far out of touch it isn't even funny.

$85 whole dollars, OMG.
Yes. $85 WHOLE dollars.

Every ööööing month. $85 month after month.

An extra $85/month JUST to watch maybe 3-4 Tech football games on TV. Literally provides NOTHING else.

Annually, that is more than $1000/year just to watch maybe 3-4 Tech football games on TV.

I am sure all our Croots, Croot families, Croot friends have an extra G kaying around for that.

Talk about out of touch . . . look in the mirror, moron.

IMO, it should be very near TStan's top priority to pressure/lobby/influence the ACC to end this. It is an unforced error for our program.

Football games have been on regional sports networks for a long time (remember Jefferson Pilot or Raycom Sports?). The big networks can’t or don’t have financial incentive to carry everything live, especially low-to-mid tier games of regional interest at best. There’s not much that GT can do about that other than get better so our games are more interesting.

The TV environment has gotten more fractured and confusing in recent years with streaming and cord cutting. It’s unfortunate, but luckily we’re a bunch of super smart engineers with high paying jobs that can figure it out.

The biggest issue for GT is that ACCN games aren’t available in our home market on the largest cable provider in the area. That’s the #1 problem that needs to get fixed, and it’s a huge embarrassment for the conference that ACCN is still not on Comcast.

You could just adopt my solution and go to (nearly) every game. :-) (I’m skipping Miami because we’re too mediocre for me to go to a stadium I hate when I can keep the GF happy by going to her nephew’s wedding reception in KC, get some good BBQ, and hopefully watch the game on my laptop. I was hoping for ACCN for that game…)

JRjr

Football games have been on regional sports networks for a long time (remember Jefferson Pilot or Raycom Sports?). The big networks can’t or don’t have financial incentive to carry everything live, especially low-to-mid tier games of regional interest at best. There’s not much that GT can do about that other than get better so our games are more interesting.

The TV environment has gotten more fractured and confusing in recent years with streaming and cord cutting. It’s unfortunate, but luckily we’re a bunch of super smart engineers with high paying jobs that can figure it out.

The biggest issue for GT is that ACCN games aren’t available in our home market on the largest cable provider in the area. That’s the #1 problem that needs to get fixed, and it’s a huge embarrassment for the conference that ACCN is still not on Comcast.

You could just adopt my solution and go to (nearly) every game. :-) (I’m skipping Miami because we’re too mediocre for me to go to a stadium I hate when I can keep the GF happy by going to her nephew’s wedding reception in KC, get some good BBQ, and hopefully watch the game on my laptop. I was hoping for ACCN for that game…)

JRjr
And yet the PAC-12 has figured this out. I have SEVEN PAC-12 channels on FuBo. If a Utah game is not on CBS, ESPN or FOX, I will find it on one of those channels.

ACCN? ONE lousy channel. So they can't and don't carry all the games that "the big networks" don't want to carry. And so they have farmed games out to these POS regional cable channels.

Yeah, of course I watched many games from Jefferson-Pilot and Raycom. They were all carried free over the air, often on some nosebleed UHF channel, like channel 50 or channel 20, etc. Not on some BS cable-only pay channel like MASN (which BTW is owned by one of the biggest a-hole shyster lawyers in all of sports, Peter Angelos).

Look, the fact is that ALL of these ACC games are already being telecast somewhere. It's not a problem to get announcers, cameras, production personnel . . . it's just a matter of getting the AV feeds distributed in a cost effective manner to the widest potential audience . . . For these games that "the big networks" don't want to carry the goal should just be to break even if possible. You know, growing your fanbases and reaching Croots.

Honestly probably better that Tech is hard to find. Might help with recruiting
Or we win so much we get an exclusive and lucrative deal with Bally like notre dame and nbc
ACC controls GT media rights. Tech could win every game between now and 2035 but still can't negotiate their own deal.

The solution is to make the ACC more attractive in football which would make the conference as a whole more attractive to media rights. Lets say today you could choose between watching a game featuring the #3 team in the sec easts play the #3 team in the sec west. OR you could choose to watch a game featuring the #2 team in the atlantic play the #2 team in the coastal. You'd be picking between watching Florida vs Auburn, OR watching NC State vs Virginia. Be honest which matchup are you more interested in seeing? What matchup is more interesting to the general public? Fact is the only ACC games I ever watch are GT games. If I see UNC vs Syracuse I might stop to check the score. But if I see Ole Miss vs LSU that's going to keep me longer.

Can TStan fix this? Does he have the power?
Short version: NO! The RSN deal is going to last at least through 2026-2027, left over from the media rights extension when Pitt and Syracuse joined. Those games are still produced by Raycom.

link

Short version: NO! The RSN deal is going to last at least through 2026-2027, left over from the media rights extension when Pitt and Syracuse joined. Those games are still produced by Raycom.

link
Thanks. I bet they could do a buyout, but maybe don't have the cash.

ANYWAY, TStan should do whatever he can to persuade, lobby, pressure, cajol Phillips to end this crappy arrangement as soon as possible. No renewal. Get every ACC team on free TV or ESPN or the ACC Network (which should include multiple channels). It's called advertising.

Drive to the top of the nearest hill then change the AM dial until you can hear the game through the noise

ANYWAY, TStan should do whatever he can to persuade, lobby, pressure, cajol Phillips to end this crappy arrangement as soon as possible. No renewal. Get every ACC team on free TV or ESPN or the ACC Network (which should include multiple channels). It's called advertising.
I think... the plan is to not renew the after 2026-27 and put those games on ACCN & ESPN+ and our ESPN Contract will increase in theory.

Last edited:

Long story short, ESPN sub-licensed the vast majority of the ACC games they were guaranteed by the ACC-ESPN contract(s), that among others, each year included 30 ACC football games and 60 ACC men's basketball games. They sub-licensed them to Fox RSNs( Fox Sports South now Bally Sports South?) and thus the collection of Fox Sports RSNs and affiliated non-FS RSNs as a group of "ACC RSN" affiliates. This was entirely separate from the Raycom Sports based ACC Network. Whenever talks heated up about an ESPN-based ACC Network, these sub-licensed games were inevitably the stumbling block, and how to get them back. ESPN insisted that if they didn't have the rights to all ACC games, they weren't interested in forming an ACC Network, a la their SEC Network. Eventually they must have knuckled under on this point of contention, or maybe the ACC sweetened the pot enough overcome their reluctance, but we'll probably never know what that was. No doubt, the good ol' boys at Raycom Sports probably got something, too, for simply bowing out gracefully. But apparently there was no way to get the rights back to the subset of games that they sub-licensed as RSN games, so we're still stuck with those, probably until the previous ACC-ESPN contract they were negotiated under end in after 2026-27. This is why we still have a handful of RSN football and men's basketball games.

Long story short, ESPN sub-licensed the vast majority of the ACC games they were guaranteed by the ACC-ESPN contract(s), that among others, each year included 30 ACC football games and 60 ACC men's basketball games. They sub-licensed them to Fox RSNs( Fox Sports South now Bally Sports South?) and thus the collection of Fox Sports RSNs and affiliated non-FS RSNs as a group of "ACC RSN" affiliates. This was entirely separate from the Raycom Sports based ACC Network. Whenever talks heated up about an ESPN-based ACC Network, these sub-licensed games were inevitably the stumbling block, and how to get them back. ESPN insisted that if they didn't have the rights to all ACC games, they weren't interested in forming an ACC Network, a la their SEC Network. Eventually they must have knuckled under on this point of contention, or maybe the ACC sweetened the pot enough overcome their reluctance, but we'll probably never know what that was. No doubt, the good ol' boys at Raycom Sports probably got something, too, for simply bowing out gracefully. But apparently there was no way to get the rights back to the subset of games that they sub-licensed as RSN games, so we're still stuck with those, probably until the previous ACC-ESPN contract they were negotiated under end in after 2026-27. This is why we still have a handful of RSN football and men's basketball games.
handful? Seems like a LOT

Thanks. Some good info, here.

I wonder how many Clemson football games wind up on Bally?

Swofford made sure his son, working at Raycom, got T3 rights from the ACC when the ACC re-upped with ESPN until the end of time (~late 2030s). So, what you are enjoying today with GT being on Bally's is the legacy of Swofford foregoing a larger payday to make sure his kiddo got a good paycheck from the ACC at Raycom. There's no escape until the 2030s unless ESPN buys out the T3 rights from Ballys. Well ... that's not strictly speaking true. Bally's gets last pick from the ACC inventory. So you could avoid Bally's entirely by simply not being an unattractive team to watch with a deep losing record.

Back