How do we judge success in 2003?

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
Well 71, I'd have to vote for C, and playing as a well prepared and enthusiastic team for 60 minutes. One more....make effective half time adjustments, but most of all C (no excuses not to)....if not now then when? Imagine the impact on ANY of our teams the past 3 decades if we lost: the entire OL,top RB,top WR, and starting FB on "O" AND best by far DT and all 3 starting LB's on "D"!? THWG

Success in competition should be measured in number of wins. I expect Chan would say the same thing. A 1-11 season beating UGA would not be a success.

Honestly...I want a 7th consecutive bowl bid and
a solid 2004 recruiting class. If we get those, I
am not going to obsess over individual wins or
losses as they'll take care of themselves.

Well Wrecked, 1-11 is a bit extreme, but I'd take 5-6 with a win over ugag vs. a 7-5 season with another dumpy bowl any time and all the time! THWG

Yes, I know it's a tad early, but with all the discussion on how important this season will be, I'm curious what others view as the criteria for measuring success over the upcoming season. Is it:

A. # of wins?
B. # games where we beat the spread?
C. Beating UGA?
D. Getting ranked?
E. Going Bowling?

Some combination of measurements or results?

For me, it is A, C, & E. I will not count going bowling a success unless we win the bowl game. Going bowling means nothing to me unless we win the bowl game.

wink.gif

Only on Stingtalk...
Do I agree with CrackerJacket.

A bowl bid next year would be surprising and impressive. Not to beat a dead horse, but he have a ridiculous schedule and some serious issues at QB. I'll be more than happy with a bowl appearance. (For future reference, I am not a fan of bowls such as the Silicon Valley Classic, but I say I'd be happy making a bowl because I'm assuming this will take 7 wins next season.)

The way I see it is A and C being the most important. Those two options will take care of option D and E...win many get ranked and go bowling....win few forget it. As for option B, it would be great to beat the spread but a W is a W not matter how we get it! Finally, I'd rather have C over A any day...Beat UGAg and who cares what they say about the rest of our season!!!

OK, I have taken a shot at a grading system for the 2003 football season.

Wins = 25 points
Losses = (15) points
UGA counts double.

At the end of the regular season:

>90 points = A
80-89 points = B
75-79 points = C
<75 points = F

Less than 75 points, new coaching staff for 2004.

edited 2/26/03

if gailey doesn't throw a touchdown this coming season, IMO the season can be written off as an abject failure

Originally posted by ylojk8:
there's no tying in (college) football
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dang, I thought it was "no crying in baseball"...

Thanks Ylojk8, tying is no longer in.

didn't mean to hijack the thread 71bee ..

a 6-6 season with a loss to UGA = 45 points
a 6-6 season with a win vs UGA = 85 points
a 7-5 season with a loss to UGA = 85 points
a 7-5 season with a win vs UGA = 125 points
a 8-4 season with a loss to UGA = 125 points
a 8-4 season with a win vs UGA = 165 points

oops not counting the bowl game .. this is the regular season analysis

i think (for the regular season):
8+ wins = A .. win vs UGA or not
7 wins = B
6 wins = C with win o'er UGA, D without
5- wins = F

Here's how it lays out:
1)6-6 or worse, no Bowl-GT fans are in an uproar. Most will see the program as definitely slipping. Heat will be intense on Braine to do 'something'. 6-6 & Braine may hang with Chan 1 more yr, less than 6-6 & Braine may pull the trigger.
2)7-5 & lose Bowl game-Same quagmire as this yr. GT fans are split, divided & STILL extremely 'touchy'. Bickering will be even louder than now. It will be awful on GT boards with very few fence sitters. Braine will stubbornly give Chan a 3rd yr.
3)7-5 & win Bowl-Sign of slight improvement. Bickering won't be quite as bad. Many fence sitters, still. Braine will let Gailey have a 3rd yr as who can fire a GT coach with 2 winning seasons?
4)8-4 & Gailey is safe for a 3rd yr, even if he loses Bowl, which will not be forgotten by GT fans proud of Bowl record. Gailey 'better' win Bowl in 3rd season. Chan looks better to most fans.
5)8-4 & wins Bowl-All is much better. Fence sitters jump to Gailey's side to join with Bowl record fans who are now there. GT is on a march for the ACC.
6)Better than 8-4 & Gailey is the toast of the town, state & certainly Tech fan base. No probs now as we are getting there again.

GT Ace, sounds about right. What will happen if we go 10-2 or better and win the bowl game?

What if we go 10-2 or better and win both the UGA and bowl games?

What happens if we go undefeated?

wink.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
GT Ace, sounds about right. What will happen if we go 10-2 or better and win the bowl game?

What if we go 10-2 or better and win both the UGA and bowl games?

What happens if we go undefeated?

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahsoisee,

If we go 10-2, Gailey is back in the NFL and GO'L is submitting a revised resume for consideration.
wink.gif

Originally posted by GT Ace:
Here's how it lays out:
1)6-6 or worse, no Bowl-GT fans are in an uproar. Most will see the program as definitely slipping. Heat will be intense on Braine to do 'something'. 6-6 & Braine may hang with Chan 1 more yr, less than 6-6 & Braine may pull the trigger.
2)7-5 & lose Bowl game-Same quagmire as this yr. GT fans are split, divided & STILL extremely 'touchy'. Bickering will be even louder than now. It will be awful on GT boards with very few fence sitters. Braine will stubbornly give Chan a 3rd yr.
3)7-5 & win Bowl-Sign of slight improvement. Bickering won't be quite as bad. Many fence sitters, still. Braine will let Gailey have a 3rd yr as who can fire a GT coach with 2 winning seasons?
4)8-4 & Gailey is safe for a 3rd yr, even if he loses Bowl, which will not be forgotten by GT fans proud of Bowl record. Gailey 'better' win Bowl in 3rd season. Chan looks better to most fans.
5)8-4 & wins Bowl-All is much better. Fence sitters jump to Gailey's side to join with Bowl record fans who are now there. GT is on a march for the ACC.
6)Better than 8-4 & Gailey is the toast of the town, state & certainly Tech fan base. No probs now as we are getting there again.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTAce,

Yep, that seems about right, only difference I would see, is 6-6 with a win over UGA, we all move forward together for one more year.

I ALWAYS MEASURE A COLLEGE TEAMS SEASON WITH ONE THING IN MIND... WERE THEY BETTER AT THE END OF THE SEASON THAN IN THE BEGINNING???
To be totally honest... after what I considered to be a dismal season past... All I want to see is the team play with discipline, improve week to week, and see some maturity amongst the returning QB's ... I will be mildly surprised if we go 2-1 against our SEC opponents, split 4-4 in the ACC, and Lord only knows in the opener against BYU... It is not out of the question that the team is 0-4 when they go up to Nashville to play Vandy...
with that in mind the discipline will be very important because IF Gailey et al can coach... the team win or lose should be showing improvements that will only show fruition in time...
If the team returns to a bowl (ON THE EAST COAST) I will consider the season a success...

my judgement is about the same as always, win at least 8 games,beat uga, be competive in every game,with sometimes competing for the acc crown.

Back