How long will Bobinski last?

I think Bobo is the next in line of "professional" AD's. He'll move on in a few years to a "bigger" job and if he can't he will take up fly fishing in Montana.

While I agree with you, I'm not so sure about the email part. In this day and age of social media and instant contact through emails, Twitter, Facebook, etc, I think the new era AD's are going to be forced to interact with donors in these types of manner.

No, I don't think it's the AD's responsibility to respond to every individual email. However, when it comes time for raising money and they're looking for donations from people who give annual money, those people (me included) do actually like to feel like our money is appreciated. If the only time that you ever hear from the AD is when he's doing an interview once a week on a sports radio talk show, it doesn't actually give you the sense of "he gives a crap".
NAILED IT. My donations are not the highest, however Ma Tech gets a good share from me annually an stands to get a really nice gift when I go on to meet Bobby Dodd. Serious and week written emails OR snail mail should always be recognized an responded to...I am asking nothing more than to be recognized as an a Tech Alum/supporter. Nothing more...nothing less.

While I agree with you, I'm not so sure about the email part. In this day and age of social media and instant contact through emails, Twitter, Facebook, etc, I think the new era AD's are going to be forced to interact with donors in these types of manner.

No, I don't think it's the AD's responsibility to respond to every individual email. However, when it comes time for raising money and they're looking for donations from people who give annual money, those people (me included) do actually like to feel like our money is appreciated. If the only time that you ever hear from the AD is when he's doing an interview once a week on a sports radio talk show, it doesn't actually give you the sense of "he gives a crap".

Bingo

If you write a $100K check I bet you could get invited to his house for dinner.

you have the process 100% backwards...he is selling to us. if he wants the 100k check, he has to hustle and earn it. we are the customer with discretionary income...he has to convince US why his product is more deserving of it than the other options we have.

yo Mbob....my car is in need of a waxjob. and I have an extra $8.17 this month. Ya want me to send it to tech or take the lil' lady to Krystal's for a biscuit and coffee in the morning?

I read on this very board that a sting talker was waiting on the elevator in the west stands to go to his box during a game. The attendant told him he would have to wait to get on. When he asked why, he was told that Bobov liked to ride by himself because he didn't want to talk shop in public.
Hey, I ain't making this up. In my humble opinion, he has been here too long already. We are a FB school and need an AD with a FB background, who can talk and walk the talk.

Has the AA ever called you guys asking for donations?

I've never been called. The wife and I are both GT grads and we've been season ticket holders for several years since moving back to Atlanta. We have 2 GT mid-career incomes, no kids and considerable disposable income. I'm not going to write a program changing check, but I'd think they would at least call me once and awhile asking for money. I've made the statement for several years to friends that I'll double my donation if they call and act like they care about my donation. I get called by GT students for Roll Call, why can't GTAA do something similar? I don't want to be bombarded with calls but öööö... Who is running the fundraising efforts over there?

I read on this very board that a sting talker was waiting on the elevator in the west stands to go to his box during a game. The attendant told him he would have to wait to get on. When he asked why, he was told that Bobov liked to ride by himself because he didn't want to talk shop in public.
Hey, I ain't making this up. In my humble opinion, he has been here too long already. We are a FB school and need an AD with a FB background, who can talk and walk the talk.

WOW! If true - and assume that it is - that is a poor way to be seen around the fans.

WOW! If true - and assume that it is - that is a poor way to be seen around the fans.
My post is factual, but I can't vouch for the OP, but it seemed to be true in my judgment.

My post is factual, but I can't vouch for the OP, but it seemed to be true in my judgment.

Bogey, that was me that posted that - you have a great memory. MBob is Not the right choice for AD for GT IMO. When you are AD you need to press the flesh with the alumni and fan base.

I would go further to say that D-Rad made his mark in part by the way he interacted with supporters of all type, not just the big time boosters. He engaged GT fans through social media, direct emails, and by glad handing out and about during sporting events. He sat and talked with me at Gwinnett Arena during a basketball game the season we played some games up there.

I'm sure that in part helped him with the move to Clemson.

Agreed. But DRAD punted on Tech...when Tech started to chase him away.
Clemson needed a development oriented AD and Drad fit that bill in spades. Currently Clemson has no Prez. Drad is in heaven.
Comparatively, our hill was on his ass ALL the time. Leftover Dave Brain baggage. Our GT VP for business hates AD power and is hell bent to control every athletic project and operation.

Bobinski is toast until this situation changes. So is his successor. öööö shame our problem is the tower of power.

Perception is reality. MBOB is smart enough to read this board. So what do you say then, sir? I am not one to get swept up in the drama of the day,
But I do know that MBOB is getting a failing grade with his fanbase.

I totally agree. A GT grad buddy had a suite at USCe (business related), and I had a chance to go 3 or 4 times back in the mid 90's when GT either had a bye week or was on the road. Every single time the USCe AD came by to say hello and personally thank the suite owner.

Part of an AD's job is sales, and MBob isn't doing a whole lot of selling.

The OP who said DRad may have spent too much time on external communication vs. doing his job has a valid point.
There should be balance in any job, but NOT spending time communicating with customers doesn't make sense.

On the flip side, I have seen or spoken to Dr. Peterson at almost every home game. It's uncanny how many times we've just run in to him. Yeah I know, the Hill is part of the problem, but he IS still out there selling.

The AD has to raise money. It is his job to establish good relations with donors. That's not sarcastic. That is, literally, a major part of his job.

I'm shocked that he didn't stop by the suites to introduce himself and say thanks to the people who buy them. It is surprising if he, in fact, did not do that. Donor relations are definitely in his job description. And yeah, that generally means telling every donor how important they are, even if they aren't that important (ala, I buy season tickets and a seat in a suite, even though I'll never write a six figure check type), because the way you raise money is making everyone feel that their gift makes a difference (and 20 $5000 checks make a difference).

Maybe he was entertaining donors

who write 7 figure checks in his own suite?

The AD has to raise money. It is his job to establish good relations with donors. That's not sarcastic. That is, literally, a major part of his job.

I'm shocked that he didn't stop by the suites to introduce himself and say thanks to the people who buy them. It is surprising if he, in fact, did not do that. Donor relations are definitely in his job description. And yeah, that generally means telling every donor how important they are, even if they aren't that important (ala, I buy season tickets and a seat in a suite, even though I'll never write a six figure check type), because the way you raise money is making everyone feel that their gift makes a difference (and 20 $5000 checks make a difference).

Is Bobinski on a contract like Johnson? Or is he just another employee of the school so firing him as no financial repercussions?

I am part of large (34 seat) suite for GT Football and have been for the last 6 years. Bobinski didn't stop by our suite one time during the football season to introduce himself or say hello. That's all I need to know.

This is an indictment. I see Peterson at bball games. Actually called him bobinski the first time in my drunken confusion. But, this guy really needs to increase his exposure and communication with the fan base and let us know what direction we are going in. Drad did it extremely well with "the good word" and he returned my personal phone call when he took over.

Bobinski has been a captain that's hasn't told his ship anything.

Hasn't it been almost a year now? What has he done? What has he accomplished? Besides firing a softball coach and an ill advised extension of Gregory IMO.

I've seen nothing really out of MBob that tells me he's a good fit. I recall that when DRad came on board he made a big splash --visible, communicated, and got things done in terms of facilities.

Bill Curry, today, at 71, would be a better choice for AD, at GT, than MBob. Mind you, I did not just say GT needs to go out and hire BC for AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen nothing really out of MBob that tells me he's a good fit. I recall that when DRad came on board he made a big splash --visible, communicated, and got things done in terms of facilities.

Bill Curry, today, at 71, would be a better choice for AD, at GT, than MBob. Mind you, I did not just say GT needs to go out and hire BC for AD.

Bill Curry did an awful job starting up GSU. I wouldn't want him running anything GT given that Mickey Mouse train wreck.

A lot of complaining over Bobinski, but not many people are saying what he ought to be doing that he is not. Sounds like some of y'all want him to go build a GT pyramid and sit it in all day answering fan e-mails.

Would that be before or after CBC had us in bankruptcy ? :biggrin:

He may still have some North
American Thrift Notes he is trying to unload.

And how do we know MBob is not acting exactly the way the HillNazis want him to?

Back