I blame Radakovich...

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So much wrong with the OPs post... you can’t fix stupid.... but I’ll try.

APR is the primary nail in the coffin. For those less studied, APR says you must advance to a degree to play (not take all the easy classes). Funny how this times in with CPJ. Stanford and GT have very little in common.

Number 2 is money and may be number 1 even though 2019 looks like number 2. Last in spending in the ACC! Did you know GT spends more than Stanford... not really. Get that GT is last in spending into your thick skull and ask your wife if she likes the zirconium in her ring.

Number three is the last AD! It was like we hired you to run our football program. I take that back, he was even worse....

I’ll give you Sewak as number four. CPJ should have fired him, but who could he afford to hire? I’ll never know what could have been because CPJ could not fire his best friend.

If you think GT is a recruiting power house, look at what the Basketball coach purchased with his bagmen.

CPJ is not a perfect person, but the man took FCS teams to championships, took navy to new heights, and did as good as any GT coach has done with an APR anchor tied around his neck. And you think Collins is better in what way? Recruiting? Show me the money. Coaching matters! I did not expect to win this year, but I did not expect GT to lose this badly.
You didn't expect GT to lose this badly because you're a GT fan and you're not objective. Every CFB authority predicted this.
And Collins will "show us the money". But it's going to take a fully cycle of recruiting 3-4 years--- just like CFB experts project.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
How did you settle on 6 years? That's a little extreme. We are probably a couple of decent O-linemen away from being a middle of the pack Coastal team. DRad's share of blame for the current situation of GT athletics pales in comparison to Bobinski's share.
Agree smokey---It may take 6 to completely rebuild, but in no way will it take 6 to know if CGC was the right hire. Let's hope he is, because then it will only take 3 to be respectful again, and 4 to win 9+.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
You didn't expect GT to lose this badly because you're a GT fan and you're not objective. Every CFB authority predicted this.
And Collins will "show us the money". But it's going to take a fully cycle of recruiting 3-4 years--- just like CFB experts project.
Nobody predicted we'd lose to an FCS team. Nobody.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
It happens. Michigan has won more football games than any other NCAA team. It happened to them.
And Lloyd Carr lost his job for it.

And that's before we discuss that App State was the FCS champ that season. I don't see the Citadel getting any hardware.

Nobody thought we'd be this bad this season. Because we shouldn't be. Period.

Longestdays

Flats Noob
@Tampa Jacket To clarify, I thought GT would win 2 games and come in last in the ACC. Its how the games are lost that are astonishing...

Shoot, I thought I may have jumped the gun on the first 2 series against Clemson.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
And Lloyd Carr lost his job for it.

And that's before we discuss that App State was the FCS champ that season. I don't see the Citadel getting any hardware.

Nobody thought we'd be this bad this season. Because we shouldn't be. Period.
You're obviously just not objective. Even if we are worse than the "CFB authorities" who are just so amazingly accurate at predicting GT results year in year out. :bfd:

gtrower

Dodd-Like
I think it will happen earlier with the transfer portal (both in and out) helping turnover the roster. I think we’ll be 50-60% CGC guys to start 2020 and close to 85-90% by the start of 2021.

AugustaJacket

Helluva Engineer
Like I've stated before, I am as frustrated/disappointed as anyone, but anyone taking an extreme position on either side (former regime, CPJ, option vs. new regime, CGC, new branding) is kind of ridiculous IMO, but all sides have their valid points.

I thought CPJ was a great hire at the time. He had proven success at both GaSou and Navy, and I believed perhaps his system and playcalling would provide a unique advantage to GT's performance over opponents. Early-on, even as the existing players were learning the 3O, that was actually kind of true. We did have SA's from one of the better recruiting classes we've had contribute to that, but CPJ brought a kind of an old-school, fire in your belly kind of attitude. It was refreshing a bit compared to Gailey and certainly to ADDB's attitude. I still think the 3O is a great offense on paper. All things being equal, it's a thing of art in a way. However, taking the long view and from a program perspective, it's not a good system to attract today's more talented recruits in the general sense. It's an older philosophy. Not many folks are running it. It does not translate to the pros on O. D players going up against it all the time. Those facts and perceptions are there regardless of whether real or not. While the stars might align occasionally where we have personnel who can really make the system hum despite a perhaps deficit in overall talent, it also seemed CPJ himself kind of lost some of that competitive fire for whatever reason(s) and our more regular opponents became better at defending it reducing any systemic advantages. I enjoyed CPJ's time here. There were some frustrating times, but there were some great times as well and no one should discount those. However, all in all, I think it was time for CPJ to move on. Maybe Tech does need to run a unique system, but I no longer think the 3O is it. I just see zero value in completely bashing him or his system.

Jury is still out on CGC, and it should be only 5 games in. Overall, recruiting looks to be taking a step up and appealing to more talent. We'll see where we land this year. I think he "gets it" in terms of messaging and branding and is enthusiastic about it as are the assistant coaches. This is essential to the "re-build". First impressions of the on-field performance leave a lot to be desired. Seems like the more vocal "anti-CGC" folks are quick to briefly acknowledge the unique transition from the old schemes to the new ones (esp on O) as well as the depleted OL and simply dismiss them. I can give the coaches some leeway on the OL as the new blocking seems to be very different and perhaps just as complex. I don't think it matters what these kids ran in high school. Conceptually, some stuff may be the same, but the speed of things happening in college is much faster. It's like anything else when you step up on the general talent level you are playing against. I am sure most understand the importance of a solid OL. I don't think you can overstate it. We didn't do much with CPJ when not experienced and healthy on the OL, and we sure aren't going to do any better in the same situation with CGC (or anyone else). This will take time. Same thing, but maybe to a lesser extent, for the skill positions on O given that we do have some good pieces there where natural athletic ability can help overcome some things. It's just going to take time. That said, while CPJ perhaps is responsible for the roster, CGC "owns" it now. What they do with it and how they grow and improve is on the new staff. The QB shuffling has been a head scratcher, but we have had some injuries. I still think the JG "debut" was going to be Citadel, but we'll never know. Loss to Citadel is as bad as it gets. Again, I think it's way to early to judge Ws/Ls, and we shouldn't underestimate the huge transition we are making along with the lack of depth in key areas. It will take time as I said, and in time we'll be able to more properly judge CGC and staff.

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
Something to remember: when CPJ was hired in 2008, that was the beginning of a big change in college football. Every team with money was building bigger, better facilities and pumping more and more money into their programs. I know it was happening before, but I'd say it really started to accelerate around that time. From what I understand, there were also big changes made to APR requirements and other rules like that. If we had gotten another random coach, we may well have fallen as far behind we we somewhat did in program money and recruiting while also losing a lot more games. I think CPJ, if nothing else, was served as a great bridge to current times where we have a better athletic department staff and are more open to making strides in funding. (Just to be clear, I was/am a big CPJ fan and was sad to see him retire, but I think the timing of his tenure will have been better for us compared to a more typical coaching hire.)

BackstreetBuzz

GT fan for 60+ years
CPJ had the ability to take 3-9 talent and go 6-6 (24-25 last 4 years) with it. It looks like CGC will take 3-9 talent and go 1-11 or 2-10 with it, this year. I’m in hopes that GT will soon have 6-6 or better talent and that as they learn his system, CGC can coach it up some.

User 10337

I’ve been saying it a long time since he left. D-Rad was always a Clempsun special agent.

wishbone

Dodd-Like
D-Rad was a horrible AD and that’s why he hired Paul Johnson.

Must be why Clemson, a factory hired him. Cause he’s terrible.
Incorrect. He was good.
the swan song on the hill chased him away.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
His nickname in certain employee circles was "The {donkey synonym + cavity in the ground} Who Walks Like A Man.

Good at answering correspondence, but there is more to the job than that.

Not the worst AD we ever had, but he should be grateful to Mike Bobinski for shielding him from that.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Height/weight requirements of army officers is most stringent of any other service. I’m 6’1, couldn’t be over 205. Lots of former west pointer fb players were in my Infantry officer basic course, they could be overweight during season but then had one month to get back to standards. This is also why navy will continue to crush army, they are allowed to be way heavier and allow for muscle vs fat ratios.
Army was beating Navy until PJ took over in 2002. Then Navy won 14 straight. Then Monken took over at Army, and Army has currently won 3 straight. Army is obviously at a huge disadvantage, but great coaching can and has overcome that.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
So much wrong with the OPs post... you can’t fix stupid.... but I’ll try.

APR is the primary nail in the coffin. For those less studied, APR says you must advance to a degree to play (not take all the easy classes). Funny how this times in with CPJ. Stanford and GT have very little in common.

Number 2 is money and may be number 1 even though 2019 looks like number 2. Last in spending in the ACC! Did you know GT spends more than Stanford... not really. Get that GT is last in spending into your thick skull and ask your wife if she likes the zirconium in her ring.

Number three is the last AD! It was like we hired you to run our football program. I take that back, he was even worse....

I’ll give you Sewak as number four. CPJ should have fired him, but who could he afford to hire? I’ll never know what could have been because CPJ could not fire his best friend.

If you think GT is a recruiting power house, look at what the Basketball coach purchased with his bagmen.

CPJ is not a perfect person, but the man took FCS teams to championships, took navy to new heights, and did as good as any GT coach has done with an APR anchor tied around his neck. And you think Collins is better in what way? Recruiting? Show me the money. Coaching matters! I did not expect to win this year, but I did not expect GT to lose this badly.
You had me until the last paragraph. What does CPJ have to do with anything in this thread.