I dont know if it is fair to gripe about the talent disparity w/UGA

I think it has been pointed out on here before that GT has never actually asked. At least ask and make the BOR say no. This would have to be a part of the major overhaul needed if we're going to compete (or at least be in the same zip code) with the factories.
That’s news to me, but I guess since I never actually read what y’all post it makes sense.

We do offer the vast majority of the state’s top 100 each year; just gotta return the place to being appealing.
When was the last time GT was as appealing, or even nearly as appealing, as a football factory to recruits? 1960s seems the answer to me.

I think it has been pointed out on here before that GT has never actually asked. At least ask and make the BOR say no. This would have to be a part of the major overhaul needed if we're going to compete (or at least be in the same zip code) with the factories.
I tried looking into this last night by going through the BoR minutes. I can't find any references in them to any school being turned down when adding a new major or change to a major. I'm not saying I don't believe it, but I want someone to provide something other than "Bud ain't tryin'", with no factual backup. If you have some, please share.

Tangentially, I didn't realize that STaC became LMRC or something like that. That's the program we need to build out in order to attract student-athletes. I'd also like an accounting school because, anecdotally, I've seen kids get into that. Add a sports track to the M-Train.

I tried looking into this last night by going through the BoR minutes. I can't find any references in them to any school being turned down when adding a new major or change to a major. I'm not saying I don't believe it, but I want someone to provide something other than "Bud ain't tryin'", with no factual backup. If you have some, please share.

Tangentially, I didn't realize that STaC became LMRC or something like that. That's the program we need to build out in order to attract student-athletes. I'd also like an accounting school because, anecdotally, I've seen kids get into that. Add a sports track to the M-Train.

I dont think Im following. Did you find any minutes where Bud got approval for a jock major?

I doubt Bud would even ask for a jock major. I don't think there is a lot of support for that in the administration or with the majority of the alumni base.

Out of state applications for the University of GA doubled last year. Just because of football.

However, jumping into 'programs of study' that offer graduates no chance of actually supporting themselves after graduation really doesn't count does it?

I dont think Im following. Did you find any minutes where Bud got approval for a jock major?
No. There was nothing in the minutes about any school asking for any major and not getting approval. So, either the BoR will approve anything. Or the real discussion goes on under the table or the VIP room at the Cheetah.

I keep hearing that Bud ain’t tryin, but I don’t see any evidence of it. Although that’s admittedly hard to show.

StingTalk is not an accurate representation of the alumni base, as a quick glance at the stands on any given Saturday will show.
You mean Bobby Dodd isn’t full of a bunch of surly mouth-breathers trying to scam on each others’ moms?

I think ‘d’ is overplayed. I’m amazed at the amount of talent on campus now compared to when I was there. Even then, we had uga coeds, Agnes Scott, and the infamous Bauder Fashion College. But it still seems much better now. We just don’t have a party school atmosphere. It’s more of a work hard, play hard deal. Always has been, as far as I know.

I've never understood this argument. Atlanta is a big city. For god sakes go out you nerds.

Tech fans and others have written Tech off before and said we could never compete with UGA before, and they've always been proven wrong. When we were an independent, we were on the verge of dropping major college sports. When Bill Curry showed up, we were at the bottom of the barrel. When Ray Goff was hired as UGA's coach, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I remember the AJC did a big article about him before one season entitled, "The Prime of Ray J. Goff." Then, along came the Jim Donnan machine, which got dismantled by two straight losses to little old Georgia Tech. Next it was time for another guy we could never compete with, Mark Richt, who lost his job after he lost to, you got it, Georgia Tech. Next, there was Bobby Ross, who didn't win one single ACC game, much less beat UGA, in his first two years, only to beat UGA in year three and win the national championship in year four.

Similarly, things were hopeless in basketball when we joined the ACC and Dwayne Morrison was our coach. Billy Packer commented on a broadcast that we were so bad that "Tech's coach shouldn't be at the game, he should be out recruiting." Then, we hired this guy from a small school that nobody was excited about or even understood when he talked, and in about three years Bobby Cremins won the ACC championship, in a season when he beat Dean Smith's mighty UNC team three times. On all these, and more occasions, everything seemed totally hopeless and the stadium and coliseum were basically empty. But Tech always came back. You can recruit at Tech, and you can win national championships in football and go to the Final Four in basketball and the College World Series in baseball at Tech. History proves those things. UGA might well win the National Championship in football this year but, right now, the last team from this state to win a National Championship in football or play a national title game in basketball was, right again, Georgia Tech.

Tech will be back. I don't know when or how. But, Tech will be back. To Hell With Georgia!

I realize it's comparing apples and oranges and Bama is in a league of their own, but here are at least a couple of articles touting Saban's / football successes effects on Bama academics, etc. Anecdotal evidence really, but the idea seems to dovetail with the story of UGAg applications being up. Long story short, and it does take money, success on the field can help with the advertisement of what a school has to offer as a whole.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...and-not-just-football/qEGqFDdct5d8Jy7eaKyeUP/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvan...everyone-wants-to-go-to-alabama/#366bf500393a

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/sports/ncaafootball/alabama-crimson-tide-football-marketing.html

Sort of dismissive of a lot of great GT teams and athletes since then...
How is stating the facts a diss to past great GT teams and athletes? The facts are GT has not been an attractive destination for decades compared to just about every large state school in any random power conference.

Endorsed. And if rejected, keep on applying until the rejections become publicly scandalous if and when the pattern of GT-only rejections becomes undeniable.

Endorsed. And if rejected, keep on applying until the rejections become publicly scandalous if and when the pattern of GT-only rejections becomes undeniable.
Exactly.....if they reject you force it to become an issue and force them to justify to the press why we can't.

I see absolutely no issue with adding a sports management degree for athletes, without calculus. Our job at the undergraduate level is to prepare student athletes for afterschool work, and a very high number of athletes will go into this field of work. This program should include accounting, finance, communication and management courses, but also should include basic physiology, PT, nutrition, coaching, statistics, evaluation studies, sports physics, etc.

I know very few Tech grads who are snobby enough to care that we add a real major for athletes. The undergraduate education process today is not all about the classroom and more and more Tech programs are determined individually. Our student athletes work their butts off and graduate most often. And many go into traditional industries, but many also go into coaching, AD work, etc. They get a tremendous education in their sport and training, but why not complete the job and provide them upfront skills to be coaches, AD's, sports salesmen and managers.

I just don't get it.

Back