I Got A Hint Of What The Academic Crowd...

GoldZ,

"You'd see it in a different light if you had to carry the load they do for one or two semesters."

First, I NEVER said we shouldn't give them some perks. My point was that they already get plenty - how watered down do we want to make it? Second, "carry the load" they do? That old dog doesn't hunt with me. Give me a break. They get to attend for as many years as it takes basically for free. They take smaller loads than the average student and the NCAA is even LOWERING the requirement again to six hours - SIX hours - that's not even a fiull time student in many cases! I knew lots of football players when I was there, and I also knew non football players who spent more time drinking beer and chasing women (and they got out) than the football players did to satisfy their scholarships. Lots of students spend a helluva lot of time in extra-curriculars and can't afford to take a small load because they can only afford 4 years. Look at the club sports. That is a lame (but widely accepted) argument.

LLCool Jacket,

I resent the fact that you would accuse me of enjoying someone else's failure at what I have accomplished. Read my post. I'm the ONLY swinging richard on this board who has EVER given one crap about all the other people who have flunked out of Tech. ALL you'll ever hear from the other fonts is how it "builds character" and weeds out the weak and maintains our standards. THEY ONLY care about the flunkouts when they are jocks. I care about all of them - I get NO satisfaction from ANY of them flunking out. My point was why do we continually make special provisions for athletes - and when they find a way to fail - we make MORE special provisions? But it seems to be OK to flunk out the non-athletes. Does that even remotely sound like I enjoy the ones that fail?

I do believe in setting some standards and adhering to them. Too many people today don't have any standards or are willing to let them slide (basically the same thing). If you don't maintain your standards you are failing the people who violate them AND the people who have done what is necessary NOT to violate them. You have also failed yourself.

Don't confuse pride in adherence to standards with joy at someone else's misfortune. When I was in the military, I had to punish young kids all the time because they violated the standards. Many times I didn't like doing it - many times I liked them personally - but I OWED it to them and the rest of organization.

We keep hearing on the boards that "the team needs more discipline." Does that only go for the football field? Holding their hands and helping them get through academically is NOT instilling discipline. It's merely helping them get through -- and helping to teach them that a jock's life is priveleged and you can get away with certain things. Making them responsible for their own actions will INSTILL some discipline. Remember, true discipline is internal - any external pressures that make behavior conform is merely coercion.

I don't know why those guys flunked out. If they violated certain agreed standards - they should go - period. If the institute violated the agreed standards, they should be given a second chance - period. Are they still kids? Sure, to an extent. But a lot of those who carried the brunt of the War in Irag were also "kids." Who would you be more proud of? A "kid" who put his butt on the line for his country, or a "kid" who is priveleged to attend GT for free - yet has to have someone hold his hand to make sure he goes to class?

Everyone seems to be thrilled that an ex-military guy is taking over academic counseling...if he has a much different take than me, I'll be very disappointed in him.

But our society is socially constructed. While there may be some absolute rights and wrongs, they are interpreted in our daily lives in the context of our society. In regards to college athletics society has sanctioned a degree of compromise with university standards in regards to athletes. If we hope to remain competitive, we have to be able to effectively "work" that compromise. I understand all that.

Peace.

getwrecked, last night i had a long conversation with the ex military guy we just hired as our academic director.

suffice to say, he will agree, strongly agree, with a lot of your comments.

Originally posted by getwrecked:
I've tried not to get involved with this - but just can't do it. Looks like I'm on my own here.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No, you aren't, wrecked. I like both your posts. I do think that a limited affiliation with Ga State might be good for GSU, GT and the state of Georgia. But I agree that kids who flunk have essentially themselves to blame.

I have heard many lame attempts at humor from administrators over the years, so the woman's wisecrack doesn't offend me personally. But someone should explain to her how provincial her thinking is for her own good. Wanting to do more to her smacks of Redneck Political Correctness.

We want her to be politically correct: that is, as someone on here mentioned, we want her to treat everybody with respect, including athletes.

About the GT/GSU joint program, when I was a freshman or maybe when I came back to school on the GI Bill, GT had a similar program w/, I believe, Morehouse, and recently on another post wasn't there a reference to some sort of program w/ Ga Southern?

The end result w/ the Morehouse set-up was joint degrees from both schools.

drinking.gif

Originally posted by goldeagle:
About the GT/GSU joint program, when I was a freshman or maybe when I came back to school on the GI Bill, GT had a similar program w/, I believe, Morehouse, and recently on another post wasn't there a reference to some sort of program w/ Ga Southern?

The end result w/ the Morehouse set-up was joint degrees from both schools.

drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Those programs still exist.
With The House and Other state schools it is either Dual Degree or Regents Engineer Transfer Program

The program with Ga. Southern and Augusta State is a specifically Civil Eng., Computer Eng. and maybe EE is GT Regional Engineering Program. In those programs Tech professor teach the Upper level engineering classes that no one else at GSou. or Augusta State/Savannah State teaches. In effect those student have transferred to GT but never have to move to Atlanta.

GT serves the top 10% of High school graduates in the State.
Ga. State serves the top 60% and non-traditional students.
In terms of academic profile the schools are nothing alike, regardless of how many Tech undergrads date people who go to Ga. State.
The levels of intensity required to suceed are not equivalent.

Lets not make a huge deal out of this. (oops too late)
frown.gif
I hate PC and the lady has a right to state her opinion in America. Would also have loved to been there to made a snide comeback though.

getwrecked, your response about "hours taken" confirms for me that you have no clue about my reference to total load required of D-1 football players. Get your arse up when they do and go through the paces they do both during the season and off season and then tell me about the load they carry. MANY a geekonerd with their 1400 SAT would wilt under this load without said perks. Club sports are to be respected, but in no way compared to the rigors of D-1 football.
As for the 6 hours comment, you might want to brush up on current NCAA eligibility rules.

Not much to say about my other 2 points huh? THWG

Originally posted by getwrecked:
I've tried not to get involved with this - but just can't do it. Looks like I'm on my own here.

"She could have easily not made the last part of that comment."
I agree that it was an inappropriate comment to make. BUT, the comment would have been inappropriate if she had singled out ANY group. What disturbs me is that if she had singled out "inner city kids", the indignation on this board would probably be totally lost.

"I don't think it will hurt to have a couple of majors for a 100 athletes that are not quite demanding as CHEM or EE."
Are you suggesting that we have majors like UT and LSU in order to keep people eligible and give them an easy path to graduation? We are what we are - and that is the primary reason so many are proud of Tech. I prefer not to sell my integrity for a few extra wins on Saturday. Geez, the athletes get all kinds of perks as it is. When I was there, nobody gave a rat's butt about me - but me. The academic experience the athletes have is already a watered down version - you want to make it pure pablum.

"That will leave 12,900 for the academic crowd to get off on and maintain our sacred reputation and beleive me, it is a religion to our academic crowd."
And I for one am damn glad it's a religion to them and that is what "gets them off." THEY are a prime reason the school is held in such high regard - not the football team! Our reputation IS sacred. Do you think we get our jobs because Scott Sisson kicked that FG against UVA in 1990? Hell no. We got our jobs because our "academic crowd" believes that our reputation is indeed "sacred." To deride our academic officers because they want to maintain academic standards is at the very best misplaced priorities. From the tenor of your post, it would appear to me that football is your "religion."

"Boys', this program is at a crossroads, in the next year or two we will find out if we are going to play some real football or join PUKE at the bottom."

You sir are correct. We ARE at a crossroads. Are we going to turn the asylum over to the SEC wannabees, or are we going to maintain some standards and integrity?

Why isn't anyone proud of the fact that we maintained our integrity and did not give a pass to those that didn't cut it? Everyone is extremely proud that it happens EVERY semester to lots of good kids, who just happen NOT to be athletes. But that's OK because it "builds character." Yet, when it happens to 10 athletes, people need to be fired! I don't know why those guys flunked out. And I have nothing against them - I'm sure they are good guys - but lots of good guys get the shaft EVERY semester and I haven't seen one post complaining about that. I don't know who was at "fault." But I do know that the buck stops with personal responsibility for our own actions.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes,....football is a religion here in the South, the SEC certainly understands the importance of having a strong football program. Wish more of us felt that way,.....doing what it takes to field a highly competitive team (not last year) in no way detracts from anyone's Tech degree. We are at a crossroads,.....wish some of the high-and-mighty academic types would quit taking themselves so seriously. We are fast approaching the Duke/Vandy mentality,...one where college football is almost an afterthought. Let us all say a prayer that we avoid this terrible fate.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Driver, well said. Athletics and Academics NEED to coexist at Tech. And you are so right that the importance of my degree or anyone else's is not tarnished by having a competitive football team. Just the opposite in my world actually.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
Lets not make a huge deal out of this. (oops too late)
frown.gif
I hate PC and the lady has a right to state her opinion in America. Would also have loved to been there to made a snide comeback though.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I hear ya, ramblin, and I think that's the other legitimate point-of-view. Though I think she needs to get on board with athletics, or keep her mouth shut.

Originally posted by GTg8r:

drinking.gif
[/qb]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
The levels of intensity required to suceed are not equivalent.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I agree with that statement, for some majors….

Georgia State was started as Tech’s business school… so there is a link in the past….

There is nothing wrong with serving 60% of your state's population, Tech would be served well to get back to that! (I know the academic snobs will stone me for that) There was a time when Tech was the Engineering school for the state of Georgia!

GPA or SAT’s are not the indicators for success in college that many academicians would have you believe. I have known may who did not have stellar GPA’s or high Sat’s who with hard work and determination have out performed those who had both.

But this is getting away from football

Originally posted by GSUJACKET:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GTg8r:

drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
The levels of intensity required to suceed are not equivalent.[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with that statement, for some majors….

Georgia State was started as Tech’s business school… so there is a link in the past….

There is nothing wrong with serving 60% of your state's population, Tech would be served well to get back to that! (I know the academic snobs will stone me for that) There was a time when Tech was the Engineering school for the state of Georgia!

GPA or SAT’s are not the indicators for success in college that many academicians would have you believe. I have known may who did not have stellar GPA’s or high Sat’s who with hard work and determination have out performed those who had both.

But this is getting away from football[/QB][/QUOTE]

GSUJAcket,

No stones here, but Robert Wallace in his history of Tech, “Dress her in White and Gold”, quotes from the farewell address of Tech's Board of trustees (all Tech supporters) dated January 7, 1932, "We strongly advocate encouraging out-of-state students. It would be a great thing to have fifty percent of our students coming from outside of the State of Georgia. This in itself gives our entire student body a wide acquaintance and a national position, and automatically reduces the cost per student to the State of Georgia. This policy we strongly advise."

Who were the Board of Trustees? This was the original oversight committee for Tech. They were replaced in 1932 by the Board of Regents (bunch of UGA graduates and supporters).

But hay, what did they know, they also advocated Tech remaining non-coeducational…..

Actually, ylojk8, high school GPA is the single most accurate predictor of how a student will do in college

i do not know if they have done the study at Tech, but i believe that HS GPA and SAT are the two most important figures that they look at

Originally posted by ylojk8:
getwrecked, last night i had a long conversation with the ex military guy we just hired as our academic director.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That doesnt' bode well for our football program if there's any truth to your statement.

When will this nightmare end?

GATA JACKETS!

maybe so buzzczar, maybe so. i am not an expert on this issue. i clearly stated that my post was an opinion.

i believe that someone with a 3.0 high school gpa can be as successful as someone with a 4.0 high school gpa. that's all.

anyways .. our average gpa for entering freshmen is now 3.75. but plenty folk flunk out. i'm sure you'll agree with me that having a 4.0 high school gpa doesn't guarantee academic success at tech.

it's only an indicator and not a definitive parameter.

hey .. nice avatar .. but it's a lil too large .. how bout resizing it to make it a little smaller?
smile.gif

Originally posted by Driver8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ylojk8:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That doesnt' bode well for our football program if there's any truth to your statement.

When will this nightmare end?

GATA JACKETS!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">the nightmare that i have come to realize is the truth about our fanbase.

anyways .. here is a lil idea about the thoughts of our new academic director.

attended an event organized by the GTAA. some of you might know about this program, it's called the first and ten young alumni club. the event was to celebrate the success of this club.

a little bit about the 1st and 10 yac. it's a program which targets young alumni and asks them to donate small amount of dollars as a pledge, which can be paid in a long term manner such as over 5 years. benefits include getting AT points for all the dollars you have pledged, special events organized by the AA etc. the GTAA really loves this program because it mobilizes young folk and these guys (hopefully myself included) will be the future big fish.

well, the celebration was for the success of this club as pointed out earlier and the success being celebrated was the achievement of the goal to raise a million dollars through young alumni. no lean task. they raised about 1.2 mill.

the event was held at the "castle" of mr. ken byers. what opulence, awestruck. present were pres clough, coach machelle joseph, coach bruce heppeler and the man to who this post is dedicated, col. james stevens.

here is an excerpt of coach gailey's thoughts on the hiring of col. stevens.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACADEMICS

The new Director of Academics is Col. James Stevens. I have met twice with Col. Stevens in his first week here and believe there will be an excellent working relationship between our two areas. We are excited to have Col. Stevens in this position.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the excerpt is from latest coachgailey.com update. -LINK-

had a looooong discussion with col. stevens about the state of the program regarding academics and such.

firstly, the guy is a great hire, he was a highly successful two sport athlete at tech, graduated, had a very successful career in the air force and now has come full circle and is the academic director at tech. secondly, he's so effin enthusiastic about being here. totally into it. very approachable guy, just strolled upto us and started talking like he knew us forever.

said that he was looking into the credentials of the academic advisors. said that we have 6 total, 3 for football and 3 for the other sports. he believed that they knew what they were doing though.

mentioned that some of the student athletes took the navy rotc course and said that this course is the easiest course at Tech. said that you have to work harder to fail in this course than to pass it. and the student athletes were flunking this course. they wouldn't go to classes, they'd sleep in 'em if they did, they wudn't take exams ..

said ultimately, the coaches have to take control. the biggest leverage a coach has is playing time. they can also give players punishments like running, stairs etc. said that the coaching staff needs to be involved.

talked about kids in summer school. said that we're really monitoring every kid in summer school. didn't expect anything close to the large number of flunkouts we had. said at the worst case, maybe 1 or 2, but that should not happen because these guys have gotten a good shock.

had a beef about the summer school set up at tech. said he's talked to pres clough about it and wants to make a change in this area. said that a player could be eligible at the end of spring, take a few classes in the summer, and if he did poorly, go from being in good academic standing to losing his eligibility for the fall. said that this discourages players from taking classes in the summer. wanted to change this so that players can take courses in the summer without being concerned about losing their eligibility.

talked about new ncaa requirements regarding meeting a certain percentage towards your degree as players progress through school. said that this would mean that it would be almost impossible to change majors. said that we suggest that players major in mgt.

talked about average sat and gpa scores for incoming freshmen. it's 1350s and 3.75. said that we take some athletes that have a 2.x gpa and a sat score of about 800+. these kids are in trouble from the get go and need constant help and monitoring.

talked about forming a plan, a guide for freshmen athletes, which would chart a course, a 5 year plan to complete a degree. said that his deparment can come up with a 5 year plan, it has not been done so far, and have athletes take planned courses and just follow the charted route with the help of tutors and advisors and constant monitoring.

talked about the players practicing really hard this summer. but said that we need to brace ourselves for a tough season. we all told him that the only positive news really that we've had since the longest time was his hiring. he has instant credibility in the eyes of a student athlete. 2 sports athlete, family guy, military and academic background, graduated from tech. could you tailor make a better hire?

had me a nice time drinking booze and mingling with tech nuts. mr. byers has a freaking castle.

Back