"I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity"

I don't know if this figure was quoted in the article (I didn't read it) but Callahan would have to win 31 of his next 33 games to tie Solich's record at Nebraska.

That being said, something had to be done about the style of play there - the option offense is nice for winning a few games but it's not win any championships in the major conferences.

I can't believe there is a city called Hog Mountain

It's unincorporated, but it's the second oldest settlement in Georgia after Savannah.

There's no mountain. Some say the name came from hog farmers who would stay in the area on their way to market. Some say it's a mistranslation of the Indian name for the area: Possum Hill.

I don't know if this figure was quoted in the article (I didn't read it) but Callahan would have to win 31 of his next 33 games to tie Solich's record at Nebraska.

That being said, something had to be done about the style of play there - the option offense is nice for winning a few games but it's not win any championships in the major conferences.
Why do you say that? Too much speed today?

Why do you say that? Too much speed today?
-Yes, too much speed.
-Coordinators know how to defense it.
-It's not conducive to situations where you're down by 14 points or more.
-High schools don't run it as much as they used to and high school skill players with aspirations of playing in the NFL don't want to play in an option offense (so recruiting is more difficult).

The big problem with the option offense is that it isn't sexy enough to lure bigtime recruits with passing stats.

The big problem with Nebraska moving away from it is that all the high schools in Nebraska all run option offenses, so their in-state recruiting went from awesome to craptacular because all their in-state freshman had to re-learn offense.

I love that someone got fired for not accepting mediocrity. That's rich.

The big problem with Nebraska moving away from it is that all the high schools in Nebraska all run option offenses, so their in-state recruiting went from awesome to craptacular because all their in-state freshman had to re-learn offense.

QFT

The most important thing in running the option is practice. It isn't very complex, but you have to run it over and over and over to keep from fumbling. With every HS in the state running the option, Nebraska didn't really have any true freshmen on offense. Everyone already knew the system coming in. All the college had to do was bulk guys up to D-1A weight.

When they switched to a west coast offense, they lost that advantage. I don't know if the HS system in Nebraska have switched over to a passing attack.

"I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity," Pederson (Nebraska's AD) said the day he announced Solich's firing (three and a half years ago).

Pederson was fired today.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7337392?MSNHPHMA

Nebraska knows how to take action. That's how the big time programs do it. If you have a mediocre coach, you fire him. If the next one is mediocre, then you fire him too. Lather, rinse, repeat, until you get someone good. It's not rocket science, people.

Soo, booger H, how many Bill Lewises are you willing to put up with?

Nebraska's gonna be in sorry shape for several years to come. Notre Dame has been trading coaches and got a couple of years of decent play, but was he a flash in the pan? Or do you cut him lose after a 2 win season?

Look at Texas A&M and the turmoil there...

Syracuse has won 6 games in 3 years - how has the coaching carousel helped them?

How many coaches has Alabama been through? And the current is no guaranteed success.

I'm in no way satisfied with Gailey's record, but I'm noway convinced that dumping him and starting over is the best way to get where we want to be.

OTOH, there are examples like Richt at Uuga, Myer at Florida, and Mack at Texas who have been unquestionable upgrades, but for every success story, there are 5 failures. And you won't get a Spurrier, a Myer, or a Tuberfield to come to GT. It ain't gonna happen. And anything less is a crap shoot and a poor one to boot.

Nebraska knows how to take action.

Yeah, and they've been vewwwy successful at it, haven't they? :rolleyes:

The ST coach was new last year and fixed things, we've been set at DC, recruiting has been vastly improved, we're coming off of NCAA sanctions and we have a new OC. It takes a full year to get a new offense installed. Please explain how hiring a new guy would be better. And anybody but Gailey doesn't count.

Nebraska knows how to take action. That's how the big time programs do it. If you have a mediocre coach, you fire him. If the next one is mediocre, then you fire him too. Lather, rinse, repeat, until you get someone good. It's not rocket science, people.

It's clearly worked well for Notre Dame. I think Weis may even be able to overtake Saban for salary-per-win this year.

Richt has only beaten Vanderbilt in the SEC East in their last 7 games and that's an upgrade?

It's funny how we're considered negative pessimists yet you guys look for the absolute worst in coaching changes.

Sticking with Gailey and ~.500 records is a safe move, no doubt. Those lacking in sackage would definitely favor such a tactic. If you want to be great, however, you've got to take risks.

Take off those gold colored glasses, he has whipped our ass 6 years in a row.

He whipped our ass one year. We whipped ourselves the other five.

Richt has been a good coach for them, no doubt. Auburn, Miami, Clemson, NCS struggles with us. We struggle with Georgie. They struggle with UF. So what?

compare the bowls and the end of the year rankings and see who is struggling the most.

-Yes, too much speed.
-Coordinators know how to defense it.
-It's not conducive to situations where you're down by 14 points or more.
-High schools don't run it as much as they used to and high school skill players with aspirations of playing in the NFL don't want to play in an option offense (so recruiting is more difficult).

that is off base. Tell that to West Va. who has MAJOR success with it, only difference is they run it out of the gun. It's still the option, just ran out of the gun. It's about as old school as u can get, and it gives coordinators fits.

that is off base. Tell that to West Va. who has MAJOR success with it, only difference is they run it out of the gun. It's still the option, just ran out of the gun. It's about as old school as u can get, and it gives coordinators fits.
They don't run the traditional option (like Nebraska did under Solich). They run the spread option (typically only 2 backs including the QB, sometimes a fullback), which still requires an element of the passing game. Just because the word "option" defines both defenses, doesn't mean they're the same. The spread option is more simplified as it only requires one read by the QB (the DE).

And it takes 2 REALLY special players in the backfield to make it as successful as it is. If 1 (or both) of those players are injured (or playing hurt), the offense gets very mediocre - very quickly.

Back