"I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity"

Do you not grasp the concept of the approximate symbol?
If you're rounding us 2 extra losses a year, I could just as easily round two wins a year and claim Gailey's a 9 win per year coach, except for the rare occasions when he wins 11.

If you're rounding us 2 extra losses a year, I could just as easily round two wins a year and claim Gailey's a 9 win per year coach, except for the rare occasions when he wins 11.
He's probably .500 or less against BCS opponents.

When you typically finish one or two games over .500 you warrant an approximately .500. Especially when those one or two games over consist of Vandy, UCONN, Troy, Samford, and their ilk.

It's funny how we're considered negative pessimists yet you guys look for the absolute worst in coaching changes.

Sticking with Gailey and ~.500 records is a safe move, no doubt. Those lacking in sackage would definitely favor such a tactic. If you want to be great, however, you've got to take risks.

It's actually funny how when people disagree on this site(about this subject) they have to attack your manhood.
I saw someone called a "mangina" on here last week.
hahaha.. That's way too funny.

I think GEETEELEE make's a very good point with this example. A coaching change shouldn't be an easy decision(especially given that Gailey's been a solid coach in comparison to previous ones). Let's see how the season plays out.

Someone do the research on the number of teams we have beaten that have finished the year in the top 25. Off the top of my head I can think of two. Auburn '05 and VT '06.

In conference play Gailey is at 56.5% --GT is behind VT, FSU and BC in conference during his tenure.

Facing teams that were ranked in the top 25 at the time GT faced them --GT is 8-15 (34.7%) under Gailey.

He's probably .500 or less against BCS opponents.

If I recall correctly, he has been 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 5-3, and 7-2 against the ACC. Gailey is probably, what, 4-5 vs SEC opponents. He is 1-1 against ND. I would guess he is 4-1 against the Big East.

So, he is probably a little better than .500 against BCS opponents.

Just guessing, but I could see going 0-1 vs the SEC THIS YEAR could get him fired.

Someone do the research on the number of teams we have beaten that have finished the year in the top 25. Off the top of my head I can think of two. Auburn '05 and VT '06.

Under Gailey, we have become the gatekeeper to the top 25. If you lose to us, you go unranked.

O'leary had us as the gatekeeper to the top 20.

Pederson didn't get fired for getting rid of Solich. He got fired for giving Calahan a new 5 year contract in the middle of the season and then having Nebraska get blown out by teams they were expected to beat.

Pederson didn't get fired for getting rid of Solich. He got fired for giving Calahan a new 5 year contract in the middle of the season and then having Nebraska get blown out by teams they were expected to beat.

He was the guy who decided to replace Solich.

If I recall correctly, he has been 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 5-3, and 7-2 against the ACC. Gailey is probably, what, 4-5 vs SEC opponents. He is 1-1 against ND. I would guess he is 4-1 against the Big East.

So, he is probably a little better than .500 against BCS opponents.

Just guessing, but I could see going 0-1 vs the SEC THIS YEAR could get him fired.
6-5, 1-1
6-5, 1-1
6-5, 1-0
7-4, 0-1
7-5, 1-0
3-3, 0-0

35-27, 4-3
0.564, 0.571

So Gailey has won 56.4% of his games against BCS opponents.

This guy deserved to be fired for getting rid of Solich.

"I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity," Pederson said the day he announced Solich's firing. "We won't surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas."

Solich went 58-19, even at Nebraska, that's not mediocre.

Here's all of CCG's ranked opponents:

2002:

Georgia #3 L
NC State #12 W
Maryland #13 L
FSU #21 L
UVA #22 W

2003:

Georgia #7 L
FSU #11 L
Maryland #17 W
Clemson #22 L

2004:

Georgia #7 L
VPI #10 L
Miami #11 L
UVA #23 L

2005:

VPI #7 L
Georgia #10 L
Auburn #14 W
Miami #17 W

2006:

WVU #10 L
ND #17 L
WF #18 L
VPI #19 W
UGA #23 L

Total Record: 6-16

Edited when I realized I couldn't count.

-Yes, too much speed.
-Coordinators know how to defense it.
-It's not conducive to situations where you're down by 14 points or more.
-High schools don't run it as much as they used to and high school skill players with aspirations of playing in the NFL don't want to play in an option offense (so recruiting is more difficult).

I don't know so much about that. I just read an article about the proliferation of the Wing T in high school. Brian Sipe even was a convert as a coach (see article for more.)

Speed defending the option can be countered by speed running the option. Defenses "catch up" with every offense eventually when everyone seems to run it. Then someone tries something different, often something old that no one has seen in awhile, and the defenses are behind again. Then everyone copies them; then the defenses figure it out again; repeat.

The trick seems to be to NOT do what everyone else is doing whatever that might be. (And run the offense that best suits the talent you have rather than what is trendy at the moment.)

Wing-T Offense - USA Today Article It's an interesting read

Back