"I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity"

We need more teams on our schedule to "not accept mediocrity" like Nebraska didn't. That would do a lot to improve our record.

Like it or not, we, UVA, Clemson, UNC, MD, NCst are all always going to be somewhat similar and aside from some general drifting up and down from year to year we are all going to just about split with each other. If, on the other hand, a couple of them could "not accept mediocrity" that would be a couple more wins a year for us.

Soo, booger H, how many Bill Lewises are you willing to put up with?

Nebraska's gonna be in sorry shape for several years to come. Notre Dame has been trading coaches and got a couple of years of decent play, but was he a flash in the pan? Or do you cut him lose after a 2 win season?

At least they are TRYING. I'd rather someone at least TRY to find a good coach, than just accept that we are mediocre and take no action.

Bunger,
Thatmakes no sense at all. It's a recipe for a long term collaspe of the program.
Unless you can get a Spurier to come to tech, which ain't gonna happen, musical coaches will drive Tech from medioricty to despair.

musical coaches will drive Tech from medioricty to despair.

Yup.

That said, losing to UGA every game for 10 years will also do it, so if Chan doesn't fix that trend he's going to get canned, whether it's good for our program that he get canned or not. That's why I like the idea of keeping Tenuta as HC *if* Chan gets canned, because it reduces the impact of 'musical coaches.'

Pederson didn't get fired for getting rid of Solich. He got fired for giving Calahan a new 5 year contract in the middle of the season and then having Nebraska get blown out by teams they were expected to beat.
And we got a new AD a little more than a year after Chan's extension, albeit under slightly different circumstances, but the same result. Nebraska's HC is still there, like ours is. The Prez said he needed someone outside the organization to evaluate him. We're doing the same...only ours had a $$$ problem to fix first.

That doesn't mean either one will be gone after this season.

And we got a new AD a little more than a year after Chan's extension, albeit under slightly different circumstances, but the same result. Nebraska's HC is still there, like ours is. The Prez said he needed someone outside the organization to evaluate him. We're doing the same...only ours had a $$$ problem to fix first.

That doesn't mean either one will be gone after this season.

Agreed, but I'll bet dollars to peanuts Callihan's as good as gone. Gailey's a big question mark still.

Richt has only beaten Vanderbilt in the SEC East in their last 7 games and that's an upgrade?

Richt has won 2 SEC titles (how many did dooley win in his tenure there). He has finished twice in the top 5. i think he finished #2 or #3 one year. He is 6-0 vs Gt, 5-2 vs. TN, 3-0 vs Alabama, and 1-5 vs FL.

He's probably the best coach in UGA's history so yes I would say he's an upgrade.

Agreed, but I'll bet dollars to peanuts Callihan's as good as gone. Gailey's a big question mark still.

callahan was gone regardless but he probably will keep his job til the end of the year because of this move actually.

I assume Turner Gil is the likely next head acoach there.

Richt has won 2 SEC titles (how many did dooley win in his tenure there). He has finished twice in the top 5. i think he finished #2 or #3 one year. He is 6-0 vs Gt, 5-2 vs. TN, 3-0 vs Alabama, and 1-5 vs FL.

He's probably the best coach in UGA's history so yes I would say he's an upgrade.

Have you talked to any Dawgs lately? The rabid dog here at work claims to be a pro football fan this year (Cowboys) LOL. I see genuine fear in their eyes.

Why? Because Richt did very well with Donnan's players and a few great coordinators. Now he has his own players and has had a little staff turnover.

Based on what I am seeing this season, they will have fallen way out of the elite in the SEC.

callahan was gone regardless but he probably will keep his job til the end of the year because of this move actually.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay for at least one more year. First, the new AD needs to evaluate the program. And second, no matter what school you're talking about, swallowing that many years of an extension is going to be tough to justify. Getting rid of him after this year puts them on the hook for nearly $9MM over the next 5 years, which will basically be doubled when you consider they'd need to bring someone else in.

And remember, Callahan was hired because everyone else of note was turning them down, which likely means paying top dollar for their next hire.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay for at least one more year. First, the new AD needs to evaluate the program. And second, no matter what school you're talking about, swallowing that many years of an extension is going to be tough to justify. Getting rid of him after this year puts them on the hook for nearly $9MM over the next 5 years, which will basically be doubled when you consider they'd need to bring someone else in.

And remember, Callahan was hired because everyone else of note was turning them down, which likely means paying top dollar for their next hire.

My guess is osborne will work for nothing (which is actually a help but still they will be paying their former AD a ton too). But he'll almost surely recommend Gil as he did when he retired and Gil will work for much less than market because these guys love Nebraska. And if Gil turns it around one day they'll pay him $3 million a year and will be well. I mean Buffalo can't be paying more than a few hundred K a year now anyway.

My boss and best friend are Nebraska grads so I know way too much about their situation.

Last edited:

And why were they being turned down?

Bunger,
Thatmakes no sense at all. It's a recipe for a long term collaspe of the program.
Unless you can get a Spurier to come to tech, which ain't gonna happen, musical coaches will drive Tech from medioricty to despair.

Bunk.

Tell that to Urban Meyer.

Firing a coach is no guarantee you'll hire a great coach. But refusing to firing a mediocre coach IS a guarantee that you won't have a great coach.

You gotta take a chance if you want to be good.

If you are content with mediocrity, so be it. Good for you. The rest of us want a shot at greatness. Even if there is the risk of hitting the cellar.

With Gailey, I don't think we would ever hit the cellar. But you can rest assured, we'll never hit the top either. If the fear of the unknown is too much for you to handle, then Gailey is your man. You know what you're going to get. No surprises. 7-5 or thereabouts.

If you're willing to risk a little for a shot at something better, then Gailey ain't your guy.

Personally, I could forgive an AD who made a bad hire, if I knew the administration would be willing to fire the new coach and try someone new, lather rinse repeat, until a good coach is found.

That's how the big time teams do it.

IIRC, Nebraska was killed by a new NCAA rule limiting the number of partial qualifiers. Both Nebraska and Alabama are in similar positions. They have everything a successful program would need except for recruiting. No amount of facilities, history or fan suppot will get blue-chip candidates to come in droves to the middle of nowhere. Even programs like Ohio State are finding out the problems of not being located in a state named Florida, Texas or California and I'm not sure of any coach who could bring these programs to the status their fans want.

Back