If Suggs starts against BYU....

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
what will you think of that decision?

I for one would not like it, BUT....
1.) Obviously Bilbo cannot help us at the QB position.
2.) Is Ball really an option being a true freshman with less than a month of practice experience in D-1 football.

My point is this, I would rather have someone else at the QB position, but do we really have a choice right now??? I hope Ball IS that good because we could use someone to ignite the other players and the fans.

I won't be happy but if we win it will make a difference in my opinion. I still think Ball will be our starter this year, but can understand being concerned about him for the opener. But if it isn't clear cut that Suggs is the best option I hope we go ahead and give Ball his shot.

I have no problem with it IF Suggs is kept on a very short leash.

I don't care how talented a person might be... Season opener, thursday night national tv, AWAY away game, is no place to test a true freshman QB. That isn't trial by fire, that is trial by inferno.

Having said that, if Suggs shows any signs of last year then I want Reggie coming in to see what he can do.

Could care less that Ball is a true freshman. We have no choice at this point. Suggs may prove to be a solid back-up and I must commend him on how he's handled this situation. But simply have to go with Ball,...his ability to make things happen with his feet will be a much needed asset. And,.....our QB play last season was sub-par at best, no need to re-visit or replay. Once was bad enough.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Even if Suggs starts, my guess is that RB will be in real soon. And Suggs may start for the reasons you guys mention, but I'd like to see Reggie do it just for the history of the thing. True Frosh Starts.

Maybe the first of 53 or 54 straight. Wouldn't that be nice.

i don't have any issues with suggs starting. i can see suggs start our offensive series and hand the pigskin to PJ behind dixon and our OL.

but i DO want to see ball come in after a few series after he's allowed himself to soak in the thursday night atmosphere at Provo.

i also want to see bilbo at WR catch some balls. oh boy! august 28th is almost around the corner!

I have no problem with it. The coaches are paid good money to make those decisions. They see these kids every day. They know them well. They want to win more than we do - their professional reputation and livelihood depends on it. They have forgotten more football than I'll ever know. I just can't believe that I (or anyone on this board for that matter) could make a better decision on who could start.

Look at last year. How many people were screaming for Bilbo? Look at what happened in only one half of the bowl game. Does anyone still really believe that Bilbo consistantly would have given us a better chance to win? Sure he made some great throws in spots - but overall he was not very effective. Would he have gotten better with more action? Maybe and maybe not. The coaches (refer to paragraph 1) evidently didn't think so.

I think the coach should start Ball. If he does not, it shows a lack of confidence in his ability to be the number one quarterback.

That lack of confidence will bleed over to the rest of the offense. It would be a serious mistake at this point to start Suggs instead of Ball. My money is betting Ball starts the game.

Even if he makes a mistake, it is better to start him. There is no guarantee, Suggs would not make a mistake that would be just as bad as a Reggie mistake.

If the coaches are smart, Ball will start the game.

Father Time

I believe you will see(and should see)both QBs in the BYU game.Try to lean on Suggs for experience and Ball for excitement.Hopefully both will get some success but based on what I've seen and heard Ball will take over mostly as the game and season progresses.

If Suggs starts against BYU, it shows that Gailey has let subjectivity get into the decision-making process. What is he basing it on? His performance against Fresno State? His 5 for 8 for 25 yards performance in the last scrimmage? With that whopping 3 yards per pass attempt thank goodness we don't have Bilbo embarrassing us at QB anymore. If you listen to the Hollis interview with the BYU guy, the BYU guy sounds like he was handed a Christmas present when it was mentioned that Suggs might start against BYU. I would rather give Ball the start as true freshmen. He'll make mistakes but will probably get better. Suggs numbers as a redshirt junior were worse than his numbers as a redshirt freshmen.

If Suggs starts and plays like he did last year...

Well...

I sure as Hell hope Gailey knows what he's doing.

Originally posted by AlaGold:
I believe you will see(and should see)both QBs in the BYU game.Try to lean on Suggs for experience and Ball for excitement.Hopefully both will get some success but based on what I've seen and heard Ball will take over mostly as the game and season progresses.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No sir,....Suggs "experience" is NOTHING to lean on. Time to move on.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Suggs starting? Don't see it happening. Not in my wildest nightmare. Nothing personal but he is at best a backup. I saw his performance in Thursday's scrimmage and when harassed he still makes terrible decisions. Now why would his experience be any good against BYU? The first pickoff would have all of you screaming your heads off. Reggie Ball can deal with the surroundings and ESPN and everything that goes with it. If he makes mistakes then so be it. I was willing to allow Damarius Bilbos some misakes in the early going and hoping his talents would eventually take over the game. I can do the same with Reggie. He can take over a game. Now no more nightmarish thoughts please.

First a question, Was fridge involved in getting AJ here?

I believe I read somewhere that Chan said a drop back only passer would not work at GT. Ball or DeBo should start. I would be surprised but not shocked to see DeBo get back in the mix, especially with the apparent confusion on the part of the coaching staff re: the qb position.
Practices are closed now, and the game plan will be put in this week. I am prepping myself for a possible surprise.

Gailey does not seem to like any of our quarterbacks. Is he only accustomed to NFL talent? Yeah, I know about Troy State. Doesn't count. Too long ago.

Let's have a "Ball" with Reggie.
drinking.gif

If Suggs starts vs BYU I'm sure the coaches will have the team prepared this year... Tackling practice for the offensive players the week prior.. & an open tryout for the RBs to find out which one is the best combination Blocker/Free Safety for obvious passing downs... Wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are considering Reuben Houston for blocking back on 3rd & long since he is a sure tackler & very adept at cutting off the angle on a return...

Based on watching several practices I believe Ball will be the starter vs. BYU because he simply gives GT the best chance to win even in his 1st career game. If you have not seen the kid he's not your average FR. Still there's almost 2 weeks of practice before the game and things could change but I don't think AJ can overtake him based on what I've seen.
Our O-line barring injury will be very good the best in the ACC according to the Orlando paper that will make Ball's college intro much easier The RB's will benefit as will the WRs I think Nate Curry maybe the comeback player of the year for college football if he can stay healthy.
I think the TE's will contribute more than anytime in recent memory and DBO will play well bolster our WR core
The largest ??? mark is the Dline how they perform will decide between W's and L's... still think a winning season is very possible!!!

I think Suggs will and probably should start over Ball. He has the experience and has picked it up in practice since Dbo has been moved. He realizes he has a chance to play now while he did not before. He knows he can beat out the true freshman. Suggs will do fine just not great. Lets remember this is a good kid who took a chance on coming here and should get the opportunity as a senior to make or break himself. The problem is we need someone who can make the Hamilton type of plays to be competitive. We will need to put 30+ on the board to win games. All of you FOC' s need to stand up and support him. It is funny now that Suggs is being thought of as a starter how negative some of you are.

Subj: "If Suggs starts against byu...."

Personally, I would think: "oh, no!!!!" And I would be twice as nervous, tense, susceptible to running outside in the yard and hollering toward the skies: NO!!!, NO!!!, NO!!!

This kid, Ball has turned heads as no other freshman in a long, long time. I honestly think he should be given the ball from outset, and that if so, he will make a stellar showing.

If he can set foot on campus and play like he has from day one "in the practice mix". I would hate to see him denied a start, out of fear on the part of the coaches that he may experience "freshmanitis".
I really believe that he will/would be excited out of his socks, but controlled and ready to show his stuff.

It is all about what goes on "inside" and "outside" a player. For my money, I would bank on the insides and outsides of this young man unless he became an abosolute disaster; which I think in no way will happen. Judging from last year and practice reports, it seems we know the pattern play of Suggs, and byu does also. They have never faced Ball. Suggs can always come in if the bleeding grows profusely; otherwise, I think the team will be more encouraged to help a rookie than our guy from last year. No offense to Mr. Suggs; just a good feeling and a roll of the dice, looking for a "7" with Mr. Ball.

Back