If Suggs starts against BYU....

Based just on "experience" I beelieve AJ STARTS, but will not play very much.

Hey, didn't I read on this board somewhere that Suggs threw like 3 interceptions in a scrimmage last week? Sounds like the same old A.J. to me....great kid, likeable guy, but can't read a zone coverage to save his soul.

Give me a true freshman who can "possibly" make a play over a known senior who "definitely" will make bad decisions when he gets pressured anyday.

Go Reggie!

I don't care if Stevie Wonder is named the starter, just make the right decisions most of the time!!

I'm looking at the following:

1. The initial gameplan
2. The halftime adjustment
3. Performance of Special Teams (kicking in particular)
4. The condition our players are in once the 4th quarter arrives
5. How the team handles adversity if faced with any.

Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
I don't care if Stevie Wonder is named the starter, just make the right decisions most of the time!!

I'm looking at the following:

1. The initial gameplan
2. The halftime adjustment
3. Performance of Special Teams (kicking in particular)
4. The condition our players are in once the 4th quarter arrives
5. How the team handles adversity if faced with any.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Your number 5 is oh so important in my book. Like your entire list, but 5 is what wins most ball games.

Whoever starts will make mistakes. If it's Suggs, where do we go from here; he is a senior if he hasn't figured out how to play under game day preassure by now he never will.

If Ball starts and makes mistakes, we will all write it off to a building year on a promising future in front of him.

I would have been willing to write-off Bilbo's mistakes early this year for the same reason.

My guess is the coach is thinking the same way. We will see Ball start and only see Suggs if Ball is hurt or falls completely apart (doubtful). Then we will only see Suggs as long as he doesn't make any mistakes (look for lot's of short passes and running plays regardless of the score).

Maybe some trick plays aka JS last year in the Georgia game except using Bilbo as the flanker passer with Suggs at quarterback.

In the past it wouldnt have mattered who the starter was because BYU never really was known for Defense anyways. But now, as most games we go into, we are truly a legitimate underdog. I would put Ball in first. BYU away is the perfect scenario for a fast learning track for the freshman. Gailey needs to win that game, he knows it, so our best option is Ball. I dont care if he only throws it 15 times, he still gives us the biggest threat. If he is so comfortable with being the leader, let him lead. He seems to be the type that wants the pressure. Well, that's what you and I want isnt it?

Originally posted by i_bleed_gold_white:
Hey, didn't I read on this board somewhere that Suggs threw like 3 interceptions in a scrimmage last week? Sounds like the same old A.J. to me....great kid, likeable guy, but can't read a zone coverage to save his soul.

Give me a true freshman who can "possibly" make a play over a known senior who "definitely" will make bad decisions when he gets pressured anyday.

Go Reggie!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thursday he threw 2 or 3, I could'nt be sure if one was picked or dropped. Anyway one was pure disaster. Kenny Scott would have scored easily if it had been the real thing. Harassed, AJ lunged to his right and shotputted the football about 15 yards in the flat and straight to Scott. A sure 6 points. Anyway, to be fair Reggie Ball made one very bad decision in the same scrimmage by throwing into double coverage and getting it picked but unless it was in the endzone or at a very crucial moment it would not have had the same consequences. One more thing, Reggie had no difficulty getting away from pressure and he is accurate when throwing on the run. There really is no contest. I went to practice and I saw enough to be convinced Reggie can do it! Suggs? No chance. I know Reggie will make mistakes. But he can improvise and possibly turn a big play out of something bad. Suggs is in if only Reggie implodes(doubtful)or is injured. And then I would have Pat Carter or Damarius Bilbo getting ready in a hurry.

There are several really good comments throughout this thread too numerous to quote.

Here is my summation:
According to practice reports from fellow posters, it sounds like Ball should be the man from the first series on. I hear that Suggs is still slow and making poor decisions. I don't think that his game experience will be of any value. I don't think Suggs needs to play at all unless things get worse for Ball than they were for Suggs last year.

However, if Suggs DOES start, then I have to believe that the offensive triumnverate has made this decision because Ball isn't ready. I don't want Suggs to start just because he is a Sr. I don't want him to start just because he has game experience. If he does start and we see the same ol' stuff, I hope the hook is quick. If not, I will then question the staff (in my mind.) But, I questioned them last year, and we all see the logic behind their reasoning now.

Ball is the kind of kid that steps up to the plate. He's shown that. Even if he happened to falter I can't see A.J. saving the day. Starting Reggie will bolster his confidence. I don't think 60,000 screaming Mormons will rattle him (although I kind of hate to see what the GAMEDAY crew will do with the story). Unless he drops off in practice and A.J. shines, in other words if Reggie wins the job even if by a nose, start him and play him. But I'll defer to the head coach in this matter.
smile.gif

Unless Ball is having trouble I see no reason to play AJ. We know he's not mobile, we know his arm is no stronger than Ball's, and his accuracy last year wasn't particularly good, so unless he demonstrates better reads than Reggie, I see him as a backup in case of an injury or something.

originally posted by MsTA
there has to be parts of each of their games that we can utilize to move this team and prepare the two for this scenario now.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The problem with this, IMO, when you are using two quarterbacks to cover for each other's deficiencies, then a well-prepared opponent (or even a not so well-prepared one) will know pretty much what to look for when each respective player is in--think DBO=QB draw last year.

I really hope one or the other wins out in practice and that that QB is prepared to run the playbook page-by-page if called upon and to play with the talent to execute each of those plays sharply.

At this point in the process...
Whoever is the starter, moves the team and gets us in position to make plays and win - I support!
Unfortunately, there are not a lot more players to turn to here.

Right now, it might be better if we play both. If one hasn't beaten out the other - there has to be parts of each of their games that we can utilize to move this team and prepare the two for this scenario now.

Why not keep the defense off guard and shuttle when necessary. Right now, our competition is looking at our weaknesses just as we look at theirs. They want to take advantage of those. At least let them prepare for both!

In the end, I think they'll both play this year.

Back