If the powers at be are not careful..

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
The one thing Collins has done well is get some highly rated players. If we decide we want to actually compete in big boy football and pay the money for a legit football coach, we may be able to get out of the hole relatively quickly.
We will need to hire a quality coach relatively quickly so that the new coach can retain the current players and the recruits he wants to retain and hopefully attract more. It will help to retain Choice. Somebody smarter than me needs to decide whether Key is responsible for the OL problems and determine his status.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
I supported this staff but man it’s hard to be patient when we get worse every week.
that's where I'm at too. I'm biased, having watched every play of the Ross Rebuild Natty as an undergrad, but man - we get worse every week rather than anything resembling the word 'improvement'. In year 1, OK. In year 3 in November, not OK.

I still think he's back next year, based solely on our $$$ inability to fire-and-replace him.

MidGABuzz

Dodd-Like
Let's fire him for cause. Emotional abuse or something.
I don't think you have to dig that deep. He just sucks as a head coach. maybe a good recruiting coach. But his persona and his staff need to go away fast! Easiest way to fill the seats with GT fans is to win games! Should AD be fired? It should be looked at, but no matter how much firing of the AD goes on, the coach on the field has to go first. I'm tired of typing this tripe, CGC is a loser! F"N Temple head coach my patootie~! What a sorry ass pick we got!

This is Tucker

Medical redshirt poster
I don't think you have to dig that deep. He just sucks as a head coach. maybe a good recruiting coach. But his persona and his staff need to go away fast! Easiest way to fill the seats with GT fans is to win games! Should AD be fired? It should be looked at, but no matter how much firing of the AD goes on, the coach on the field has to go first. I'm tired of typing this tripe, CGC is a loser! F"N Temple head coach my patootie~! What a sorry ass pick we got!

While tstan has whiffed on the football hire (arguably the MOST important hire, I grant), other programs are actually doing pretty well

johncu

Dodd-Like
that's where I'm at too. I'm biased, having watched every play of the Ross Rebuild Natty as an undergrad, but man - we get worse every week rather than anything resembling the word 'improvement'. In year 1, OK. In year 3 in November, not OK.

I still think he's back next year, based solely on our $$$ inability to fire-and-replace him.
I thought that too until 55-0. He’s lost me entirely.

goldeagle

Dodd-Like
We will need to hire a quality coach relatively quickly so that the new coach can retain the current players and the recruits he wants to retain and hopefully attract more. It will help to retain Choice. Somebody smarter than me needs to decide whether Key is responsible for the OL problems and determine his status.
Evaluating Key sounds like a job for Refrigerator Mover, aka John Davis!

Last edited:

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The truth is coaches are not the only ones that get paid these days. Players get paid legally and illegally. GT can hire Saban, but if we don’t have alumni to pay players to come here like the Powerhouses do, we won’t ever be very significant again.

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
Lewis was a football coach. He had serious issues but he knew how to coach. I had a long convo with him at the Army-Navy club in Arlington after he was hired and came away thinking - we are going to kill people.

No one understood his inability to manage a roster. That's what did us in.

Collins can manage a roster probably better than anyone since Dodd. But, o m g does he suck as a football coach.
Good thought. also-I think of GC as a great salesman who somehow got promoted to President and he WAY over his head now.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Lewis was a football coach. He had serious issues but he knew how to coach.
I was very close to the GTAA during the BL days (I was a cheerleader and friends with a lot of players and lived in the same dorm with them) and I can offer a counter piece of evidence to this. Pretty much every player I knew hated BL and overwhelmingly said he was terrible because he never played the game himself and couldnt comprehend what an athlete can do. They said he was very stiff and uncompromising with his defensive assignments and would not allow athletes to use their athleticism to cover ground, instead requiring everyone to be exactly in the correct position within a yard or two as designed or else the defense was a complete failure with a blown assignment. Everyone was too busy worrying about where they were supposed to be and not even focused upon where the ball was or how the play was developing.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I was very close to the GTAA during the BL days (I was a cheerleader and friends with a lot of players and lived in the same dorm with them) and I can offer a counter piece of evidence to this. Pretty much every player I knew hated BL and overwhelmingly said he was terrible because he never played the game himself and couldnt comprehend what an athlete can do. They said he was very stiff and uncompromising with his defensive assignments and would not allow athletes to use their athleticism to cover ground, instead requiring everyone to be exactly in the correct position within a yard or two as designed or else the defense was a complete failure with a blown assignment. Everyone was too busy worrying about where they were supposed to be and not even focused upon where the ball was or how the play was developing.
He was the DC for the dwags NC team - your post comes as a surprise but you were closer to things than I was. Not the first time I've been fooled by a smooth talker.

Ed Sawyer

I eventually banged Lucy Matthews.
He was the DC for the dwags NC team - your post comes as a surprise but you were closer to things than I was. Not the first time I've been fooled by a smooth talker.
He was the DBs coach for their 1980 team, then was DC after that. But he also played college football, albeit at a DII school. So I'm not sure how reliable that anecdote is.