If the powers at be are not careful..

The Wasp

Varsity Lurker
There is a number on here who keep saying keep Collins and overturn the staff. I hate to break it to you, but that will not fix this train wreck. You will still have Collins telling fans to f** off, still in coaches meetings telling them to push the 404/ATL stuff, still not able to clock manage. No, it's better for all to cut ties and move on. Collins can take his million $$ and become an analyst for the next program who will put him in the film room to break things down for the real coaches. Tech can find someone who will inherit a mess but we can start the rebuild and not put it off any longer.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a number on here who keep saying keep Collins and overturn the staff. I hate to break it to you, but that will not fix this train wreck. You will still have Collins telling fans to f** off, still in coaches meetings telling them to push the 404/ATL stuff, still not able to clock manage. No, it's better for all to cut ties and move on. Collins can take his million $$ and become an analyst for the next program who will put him in the film room to break things down for the real coaches. Tech can find someone who will inherit a mess but we can start the rebuild and not put it off any longer.
Do you really think he’s capable of breaking down and analyzing film though?

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Surely the AD can do things to make Collins behave and not act like a petulant child, including ordering him to do some things like replacing some assistants. Will that solve the problem that is Collins? No but it will get one year closer to a palatable buy-out.

oldgoldbee

Flats Noob
My biggest fear is that G**** C****** because of his ego will not hire competent coordinators that are productive and actually know the game of college football. A village idiot could look at the resumes of our current OC &DC and see they are not qualified to coach in a Power5 Conference. There are several other position coaches that need to be removed as well., IMHO. Our Head Coach's resume wasn't impressive to me either, too many short stays and stops at various schools.

Skydog

Eat a Peach
My biggest fear is that G**** C****** because of his ego will not hire competent coordinators that are productive and actually know the game of college football. A village idiot could look at the resumes of our current OC &DC and see they are not qualified to coach in a Power5 Conference. There are several other position coaches that need to be removed as well., IMHO.
me thinks if his hand was not or is not forced he would not make any staff changes

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
You know, you are right. I haven't seen the Tech fan base this united on something since probably Chan's final season.
The fan base is much more united than Chan's final season. When he was fired there was a shock even though most understood. There wouldn't be any shock at all if Collins was sent on his way next week.

This is exactly 100% why he needs to go, yesterday.

Skydog

Eat a Peach
The fan base is much more united than Chan's final season. When he was fired there was a shock even though most understood. There wouldn't be any shock at all if Collins was sent on his way next week.

you could at least look at Chan and say .. "hey this a football guy." not so much in this situation.

OmnipoTech

Jolly Good Fellow

Because Chan played "normal" football, if he could have just beaten UGA 1/3 of the time he could have continued to win 7 games a year and would have never been fired.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
Because Chan played "normal" football, if he could have just beaten UGA 1/3 of the time he could have continued to win 7 games a year and would have never been fired.
If Chan would have beaten Georgia once, in 2006, when we were obviously the better team he would have never been fired. That collapse at the end of the year was brutal.

DinnerJacket

Slowly eroding every brain cell
Chan had the unbearable position to come in a divided fandom. Half the people wanted Mac McWhorter and didn't like it that Chan stayed with the Dolphins through the playoffs. So he was already an outcast to some. Then when we lost to Ugag his first year 51-7, well that sealed it. Those people NEVER warmed to him. It truly was a divided time. I hated that because if there was one thing Chan was great at, it was finding nuggets where others couldn't. He could spot talent. But he coached on gameday like he was still in the NFL and that doesn't work in college. He would still make a great consultant in my opinion.

JoltinJacket

► Ģŏ ʝąҁʞεɫʂ ◄
If Chan would have beaten Georgia once, in 2006, when we were obviously the better team he would have never been fired. That collapse at the end of the year was brutal.
We had them on the ropes in '04 and '05 too. Even in '07, UGAg was the much better team but needed some wild breaks to create some distance (muffed punt that we should've recovered, bogus PI call, and a couple others IIRC).

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
We had them on the ropes in '04 and '05 too. Even in '07, UGAg was the much better team but needed some wild breaks to create some distance (muffed punt that we should've recovered, bogus PI call, and a couple others IIRC).
2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013.

Could have won any of these six.
At a minimum should have won 2006 and 2009.

Last edited:

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013.

Could have won any of these six.
At a minimum should have won 2006 and 2009.
We had a pretty bad game in 2015 as well. 3 turnovers I think. I think 2013 and 2015 go different if we got the home field monkey off our back in 2009. Maybe 2010 too. there’s a lot to be said for psyche’s impact and internal pressure in sports.

2009 makes me very sad.

CornerBlitz

To be the man you have to beat the man
Not sure this hasn’t already been said in some form, but simply put, BL was not a good head coach. I think he sincerely wanted to be at GT, but he was stiff and could not relate to the players. He would hold exhaustive team meetings and practices that dragged on for no reason. His bringing on Crowton as the OC and supplementing Donnie Davis with Tommy L. at QB was poorly handled and divided the team. There was no love lost between him and O’Leary, and players knew it. He lost the locker room, which is catastrophic for a college coach.

The Wasp

Varsity Lurker
I wasn't there, but I am not convinced all the division was the fault of the coach. Sometimes a QB needs to be yanked, heck look at all the teams that yanked guys this year....too many to count. Could have been a racial thing so that is on the players. Anyway, its past now.

As for the topic. Can you imagine what the rubber chicken circuit will be like for Collins? Getting face to face with the 12-14 alumni/fans who show up in the summer in various places? Take no questions. Repeat same old culture building, we're getting better lines and get the hell out before someone gets face to face.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
2009 makes me very sad.
We're sitting in the East stands. My buddy had me riding shotgun because he knew I knew PJ and wanted to know what coach was thinking - every second of every game. Other than PJ thinking to himself, "I could use a dip of Copenhagen right about now."
Right before last play, he asks me what PJ will call. I said comeback route to BayBay.
Sure enough, that was the play and ....

I am going to close my office door and weep openly for a few minutes.

Was it 2013 we jumped on them early with Vad slinging the öööö out of it against them ... and then we did bupkis the rest of the way?

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
We're sitting in the East stands. My buddy had me riding shotgun because he knew I knew PJ and wanted to know what coach was thinking - every second of every game. Other than PJ thinking to himself, "I could use a dip of Copenhagen right about now."
Right before last play, he asks me what PJ will call. I said comeback route to BayBay.
Sure enough, that was the play and ....

I am going to close my office door and weep openly for a few minutes.

Was it 2013 we jumped on them early with Vad slinging the öööö out of it against them ... and then we did bupkis the rest of the way?
Yes that was 2013. Butker missed a 40 yard FG early on as well which kinda made us gun shy in that area the rest of the way.