If the powers at be are not careful..

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
Yes that was 2013. Butker missed a 40 yard FG early on as well which kinda made us gun shy in that area the rest of the way.
Arguably more than the two games I listed above, 2013 should have been a win. I had forgotten Butler kicked a 22 yd FG after we were up 17-0. If the O sticks it in the end zone there, we go up 24-0 and I doubt UGA makes the comeback.

1637705339086.jpeg

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Arguably more than the two games I listed above, 2013 should have been a win. I had forgotten Butler kicked a 22 yd FG after we were up 17-0. If the O sticks it in the end zone there, we go up 24-0 and I doubt UGA makes the comeback.

1637705339086.jpeg
It was a very sad day.

ToHellwithUGA

Varsity Lurker
He was the DBs coach for their 1980 team, then was DC after that. But he also played college football, albeit at a DII school. So I'm not sure how reliable that anecdote is.
And CPJ never played college ball and CGO lied about playing so I’m not sure that would have come into play. I know Bill Lewis lost that team somehow. Tom Luginbill comes to mind.

ToHellwithUGA

Varsity Lurker
you could at least look at Chan and say .. "hey this a football guy." not so much in this situation.
I thought firing Chan was short sighted at the time but I supported CPJ too. We fired Chan because of consistent mediocrity, no championships and no wins over UGA. We hired CPJ to get wins over UGA and win championships and be in meaningful bowl games again. He achieved that but had some down years unlike Chan. My assumption was that this coach is supposed to take us to the next level: Consistent winning every year AND a chance at championships and beating UGA now and then. So far, we have consistent results. But nothing else. Be careful what you wish for.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
I wasn't there, but I am not convinced all the division was the fault of the coach. Sometimes a QB needs to be yanked, heck look at all the teams that yanked guys this year....too many to count. Could have been a racial thing so that is on the players. Anyway, its past now.

As for the topic. Can you imagine what the rubber chicken circuit will be like for Collins? Getting face to face with the 12-14 alumni/fans who show up in the summer in various places? Take no questions. Repeat same old culture building, we're getting better lines and get the hell out before someone gets face to face.
Does Collins go to local alumni events?

oldgold68

Bitter old man
In general do coaches appear at local alumni events now? The last time I remember a visit here in Nashville was Hewitt speaking before we played Vandy.
IIRC, the last douchebag AD stopped coaches from traveling out of state to alumni clubs because of the cost. I saw Hewitt and Gailey, but Johnson was not allowed to visit (and he may not have wanted to visit anyway).

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
He was the DBs coach for their 1980 team, then was DC after that. But he also played college football, albeit at a DII school. So I'm not sure how reliable that anecdote is.
Oh well I remember this is what a starting defensive player told me. This was long before the internet where I could read someone's wikipedia so I just took him for his word. Of course his wikipedia page today mentions nothing about his college football playing days so I still wouldve believed this. I guess I will have to take your word for it. As far as how reliable my anecdote is, I wouldn't call it crazy reliable. I knew a few starters back then (Jerelle Williams, Stephen Scotten, etc.) but I cant say I interviewed the whole team. Just another perspective, that's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

ToHellwithUGA

Varsity Lurker
Oh well I remember this is what a starting defensive player told me. This was long before the internet where I could read someone's wikipedia so I just took him for his word. Of course his wikipedia page today mentions nothing about his college football playing days so I still wouldve believed this. I guess I will have to take your word for it. As far as how reliable my anecdote is, I wouldn't call it crazy reliable. I knew a few starters back then (Jerelle Williams, Stephen Scotten, etc.) but I cant say I interviewed the whole team. Just another perspective, that's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
IIRC, the last douchebag AD stopped coaches from traveling out of state to alumni clubs because of the cost. I saw Hewitt and Gailey, but Johnson was not allowed to visit (and he may not have wanted to visit anyway).
Seems like the travel cost would have been offset multiple times over by increased alumni contributions and overall support. You could also use the visits to touch base with key high school coaches in the area. If it was Bobinski, I am not surprised. We have only had one decent AD in over half a century.

Ed Sawyer

I eventually banged Lucy Matthews.
Who cares. The guy could coach
He was a good coach, but he was a lot better when his OCs panned out.

At Tech, O’Leary was 34-14 (.708) with Ralph Friedgen as his OC and 18-19 (.486) with everyone else.

At UCF, O’Leary was 55-24 (.696) with Charlie Taafe as his OC and 26-40 (.394) with everyone else.