If you still think Patenaude should be employed

GT98

Dodd-Like
My guess is Key is calling the offense by year 3 and Dave was just brought on as the fall guy for the first two rebuilding seasons.
Given Key's previous stint as an OC, not sure he is an upgrade over Patenaude. Let's hope that there are funds available to get much more of a proven OC.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Yep, same here. I was really pissed that we broke the bowl streak. If there are so many bowls and anybody can get into one, why were we one of like 4 or 5 schools that had done it as many times in a row as we did?

And our streak of losing bowls started before CPJ. At one point in the late 90s/early 00s, we had the highest bowl winning percentage among schools with a certain number of bowl appearances, but we pissed that away hardcore under Gailey and Johnson.

JRjr
Yeah and look at some of the schools we lost to in crappy bowls during that time. Wasn't it Fresno St twice, Utah twice, Air Force?

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Yep, same here. I was really pissed that we broke the bowl streak. If there are so many bowls and anybody can get into one, why were we one of like 4 or 5 schools that had done it as many times in a row as we did?

And our streak of losing bowls started before CPJ. At one point in the late 90s/early 00s, we had the highest bowl winning percentage among schools with a certain number of bowl appearances, but we pissed that away hardcore under Gailey and Johnson.

JRjr
I lament the loss of the bowl streak and I lament the fact that we didn’t end uga’s streak when we had a chance.

goldbybirth

This space for rent
I need to re-watch the game, but it looked like CDP was overruled in the second half when we began running out of the 2 back set. He was visibly upset, yet we were being successful. Did anyone else sense that or was I too drunk and seeing things?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
I need to re-watch the game, but it looked like CDP was overruled in the second half when we began running out of the 2 back set. He was visibly upset, yet we were being successful. Did anyone else sense that or was I too drunk and seeing things?
Are you talking the one time they showed him in the booth when we called a timeout before a 4th down attempt? It just looked like he was pacing behind his chair and amped up because of the gravity of the next play.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Are you talking the one time they showed him in the booth when we called a timeout before a 4th down attempt? It just looked like he was pacing behind his chair and amped up because of the gravity of the next play.
We will never know; but I tend to think CGC changed the play call on him.

goldbybirth

This space for rent
Yes, that is what I was referring to.

gte490v

Dodd-Like
I thought he called a good game last night.

Took advantage of some matchups throwing the ball early. I recall a dropped pass and a missed opportunity to a wide open receiver cutting across the middle due to a bad, unhurried pass.

We had a few plays snapped from undercenter, so maybe that will help some of yall chill out with that. Similarly, we had 2 speed option plays that were key 1st downs.

He did get bailed out right before the half with the muffed punt and roughing the passer call, otherwise it would have been a) NC State's ball with 1:00 left and a chance to score or b) a 39 yard field goal attempt because of an incompletion on 3rd and 1 from the 22 yard line.

The Graham keeper up the middle was a good read, not sure which coach came up with that, could have been CBK or someone other then CDP. I believe it converted 3rd and 9 twice.

We did run multiple plays and run when showing pass / pass when showing run to keep the defense guessing.

I would argue that OL and QB play is a bigger factor than play calling in the results of this season. I wish they would just say that J Graham would have been the day 1 starter if he would have been academically eligible all off-season. No way will I be making a decision on his job at OC this season.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I think Patenaude is an average/mediocre OC who looks worse this year because of the situation. I think he'll field decent offenses if he's given time, but I can't see us ever having a decided schematic advantage on offense with him as OC. Unless we're going to recruit top 5 classes, I believe we'll need to upgrade there at some point.

The obvious answer is to hire Charlie Weis.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
I think Patenaude is an average/mediocre OC who looks worse this year because of the situation. I think he'll field decent offenses if he's given time, but I can't see us ever having a decided schematic advantage on offense with him as OC. Unless we're going to recruit top 5 classes, I believe we'll need to upgrade there at some point.

The obvious answer is to hire Charlie Weis.
If we recruit the horses, average OC is fine with me.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
If we recruit horses and Brent Venables is on the other sideline you can still end up looking like Alabama did last year in the Championship game.
That’s true, but we have a while before getting there. Let’s get the horses with some coaching and recruiting continuity and then worry about losing to Venables in the title game. It took Dabo some time to get all of his pieces in place too. I think Patenaude will eventually be a guy who never wows but gets it done and players will like him. We need that for a few years and no some hot shot who goes to the factory after one year.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
That’s true, but we have a while before getting there. Let’s get the horses with some coaching and recruiting continuity and then worry about losing to Venables in the title game. It took Dabo some time to get all of his pieces in place too. I think Patenaude will eventually be a guy who never wows but gets it done and players will like him. We need that for a few years and no some hot shot who goes to the factory after one year.
No way we take the next step with him as oc. I just don’t see the game planning or adjustments. It’s not like Temple dominated their league even with a talent advantage.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
This is probably the most challenging position he's entered into, and not just because it's his first P5 job, so he'll get time to prove himself. And yeah, if he's average with spectacular (top 10ish) talent, we'll be fine. If he's average with talent in the 20-25 range, I'm not so sure we'll be much more than an average team--which isn't horrible, it's basically what we've been for most of the last 30 years, but it isn't where we want to be either.

But I think we're pretty much on the same page that we will know more once we get more of Collins' players in. Even by the end of next year we should have a much better idea about whether or not he's a liability at OC.

18in32

Petard Hoister
No way we take the next step with him as oc. I just don’t see the game planning or adjustments. It’s not like Temple dominated their league even with a talent advantage.
I’m no CDP partisan but they were 7-1 in conference last year

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I’m no CDP partisan but they were 7-1 in conference last year
My cursory view of Temple was that they had a top notch defense, but didn’t reach Rhule heights because of the offense.