I'm done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Year seven off this bull$hit. It should be rolling now but it's not. Will continue to support the team but PJ needs to be coaching at Western Carolina.

Or at an SEC school that'll give him the support he needs.

This, except I gave up last year. 21 year season ticket holder until this season. The problems are a combination of things. We can't fix the coaching issues unless we can fix the way our athletic dept and school work together. They have to accept that athletics means you lower the academic bar considerably. I'm not talking Bama bad, but there has to be some middle ground.

I sadly agree, BOR. If we don't, we might as well give up football. Our current D talent is less than a LOT of non-BCS schools.

Preach! Patriot.

I see we still have guys hanging on.

If you are going to compete with one hand tied behind your back, why compete at all? It ain't that I'm a bad fan. It's just that I don't care anymore.

I see we still have guys hanging on.

If you are going to compete with one hand tied behind your back, why compete at all? It ain't that I'm a bad fan. It's just that I don't care anymore.

In college football, 95% of schools are doing that. In MLB, the top fifth of teams can way outspend the others. In the EPL and other soccer leagues, only a few teams realistically have a shot at the title due to lack of fan support (which translates to lack of money).

There are still reasons to compete. You just have to recognize your situation and understand its implications.

There are still reasons to compete. You just have to recognize your situation and understand its implications.

Our situation is that we choose to half-ass it. We have guys playing football for GT who can barely speak English and who do not belong in GT's academic environment regardless of how much help they get from the support staff. They would not be on the campus were it not for their athletic ability.

But... we only take that so far. We don't want to field a whole team full of those guys like our competition does, I guess because of some misguided notion that the way we're doing it is the right/noble/honorable way.

In actuality it's just hypocrisy/incompetence, but I guess it makes sense for the Institute financially at the moment.

Or at an SEC school that'll give him the support he needs.

7 years and $20 million isn't enough support? To beat the mutts once and win one single bowl game?

No SEC school would tolerate such mediocrity as long as we have.

What, you have to admit half-idiots? BOR... I expected better of you. If you can't pass calculus, you have no place getting a GT degree. Agree?

Ok, I have to ask, are you a student?

If so then you have a lot to learn about the real world. There are plenty of well paying jobs (trust me on this :wink:) for people who choose not to bury their face in a calculus book.

For those of us who have business degrees from Georgia Tech I can promise you that 90% of us do not use the calculus that we were forced to take and that has nothing to do with the business side of the world.

I am going to share a little something with you and its free (please take time to consider it carefully because once you realize this little fact you will begin to understand the what drives the economy).

No one get paid until a product is sold. Without proper marketing and sales, nothing, no matter how well designed, matters one single iota as no products would or services would be moved.

Thanks and Go Jackets

Ok, I have to ask, are you a student?

If so then you have a lot to learn about the real world. There are plenty of well paying jobs (trust me on this :wink:) for people who choose not to bury their face in a calculus book.

For those of us who have business degrees from Georgia Tech I can promise you that 90% of us do not use the calculus that we were forced to take and that has nothing to do with the business side of the world.

I am going to share a little something with you and its free (please take time to consider it carefully because once you realize this little fact you will begin to understand the what drives the economy).

No one get paid until a product is sold. Without proper marketing and sales, nothing, no matter how well designed, matters one single iota as no products would or services would be moved.

Thanks and Go Jackets

I am a surgeon, not a student. Thanks for teaching me how the world works.

Why are you trying to teach me how important marketing is?

Calculus is a topic that expands your mind. It makes you think about the world differently. I know that most people who take it will never use it again. öööö, most people who take geometry and algebra will never use them again. Should we do away with them? Thoughts like yours are how we ended up dragging ass relative to the rest of the world in math and science. I chose to go to Tech because we value math and science as a vital contributor to balance a liberal arts education. I believe it and live it. I would be willing to bet that you are better at marketing because you took calculus. I'm sure you also command more respect because of it. Maybe I'm wrong... it certainly wouldn't be the first time. But maybe I'm right, and you are just willing to trade something very important for easier wins on a ööööing football field.

7 years and $20 million isn't enough support? To beat the mutts once and win one single bowl game?

No SEC school would tolerate such mediocrity as long as we have.

That's because all the SEC boosters are paying top dollar for their talent, and expect a return on their investment. Our boosters, instead of buying recruits, are withholding money from the AA for performances that aren't SEC Championship caliber.

Calculus is a topic that expands your mind. It makes you think about the world differently. I know that most people who take it will never use it again. öööö, most people who take geometry and algebra will never use them again. Should we do away with them? Thoughts like yours are how we ended up dragging ass relative to the rest of the world in math and science. I chose to go to Tech because we value math and science as a vital contributor to balance a liberal arts education. I believe it and live it. I would be willing to bet that you are better at marketing because you took calculus. I'm sure you also command more respect because of it. Maybe I'm wrong... it certainly wouldn't be the first time. But maybe I'm right, and you are just willing to trade something very important for easier wins on a ööööing football field.

nerd.jpg

I know that most people who take it will never use it again. öööö, most people who take geometry and algebra will never use them again. Should we do away with them?

That's a red herring.

The point is that GT requires calculus for several degrees and that virtually no other school in the country requires Calculus for those identical degrees. It's a perfectly valid point to ask whether or not that class is required for that degree.

I would be willing to bet that you are better at marketing because you took calculus. I'm sure you also command more respect because of it. Maybe I'm wrong...

While I like the enthusiasm, Calculus is not a field that "expands your mind". The way it is taught at the undergraduate level, Calculus is about memorizing rules, understanding processes, and applying those rules and processes precisely as shown previously.

And when you were applying to medical school and residency did the interviewer look at your application, see GT,look up and say "How can you explain the academic performance of the football team under George O'Leary?" In my interviews I dont recall the football player's academic performance being discussed at all, and I doubt people coming out of Stanford of Baylor have a problem either.

That's a red herring.

The point is that GT requires calculus for several degrees and that virtually no other school in the country requires Calculus for those identical degrees. It's a perfectly valid point to ask whether or not that class is required for that degree.

While I like the enthusiasm, Calculus is not a field that "expands your mind". The way it is taught at the undergraduate level, Calculus is about memorizing rules, understanding processes, and applying those rules and processes precisely as shown previously.

The calculus I had at Tech was about the professor teaching absolutely nothing, giving tests that had problems on them that were actually verifiably unsolvable, nobody in the class ending with an average higher than a 20, and the prof being forced to apply a curve so wicked it basically made the whole thing pointless.

I learned quite a lot of calculus at Southern Tech night school though, when I was in high school.

The Calculus argument is the biggest red herring in the academics vs. sports argument every year. Our organizational model requires a common core; either petition the Board of Regents to reorganize the school or quit your bitching.

That's a red herring.

Calculus may not "expand your mind"; but it/math must discipline the mind. Those with a strong math background certainly seem to respond and act in the world differently than those who don't have that strong background.

Calculus may not "expand your mind"; but it/math must discipline the mind. Those with a strong math background certainly seem to respond and act in the world differently than those who don't have that strong background.

Agree, it is obvious that people without a math background (often called women) turn out to be whiny bitches when they can't figure out simple problems like how much change they should receive.

I'm not done.

I will continue to watch this team score and score and score. And give up score after score after score. It's kind of fun!

Seriously though, Tech is getting harder and nerdier...50% foreigners (or something close to that #). The school ain't what it used to be and it's only going to get worse. Student support is pathetic. The school is not headed in the right direction to support a college football team in the South.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back