Introductory Press Conference @6pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
You realize that styrene is a carcinogen, right? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3165940/

It's not terrible in cold environments because of minimal leaching into the food, but in warm environments (e.g. coffee) it leaches into the product. Buy warm sides from a fast food restaurant served in styrofoam and you'll literally see where the styrofoam was "eaten" by the food. The limitation of holding time in some fast food places is that the bottom of the styrofoam container will fall out.
Clearly, we need to design his new chalice with advanced insulative properties and ample nucleation sites. I suggest a hollow air chamber and pre tumbling the container with sharp objects to scratch up the interior.

OmnipoTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Clearly, we need to design his new chalice with advanced insulative properties and ample nucleation sites. I suggest a hollow air chamber and pre tumbling the container with sharp objects to scratch up the interior.
The nucleation sites should be micro etched into the side of the chalice such that all bubbles forming combine to make a GT logo on one side and Buzz on the otherside.

georgiatech22

Dodd-Like
I was going through some old files the other day and came across this one that I had saved. I went ahead and uploaded it so we could have it for later reference. Here is CPJ's introductory press conference back in 2007. Definitely a lot different that Collins.

18in32

Petard Hoister
You are still pouring the beverage over the ice, the ice has just been rinsed prior to doing this.
And what is gained by 'rinsing' the ice? Get that outer layer of dust off it?

EDIT: nm. Now see there's already a link posted in reply to this.

18in32

Petard Hoister
It’s not about rinsing for contaminants. It’s about changing the surface of the ice cube.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/why-does-ice-make-fizzy-drinks-bubble-over
Hold on, I thought your link would answer the question about rinsing, but it doesn't.

According to your link, it's the minute imperfections in the ice cube that facilitate the nucleation (just like the rough styro surface, as discussed earlier ITT). But on that theory, rinsing the ice cubes would reduce the imperfections, so rinsing them should reduce the nucleation/fizz.

So what gives?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Hold on, I thought your link would answer the question about rinsing, but it doesn't.

According to your link, it's the minute imperfections in the ice cube that facilitate the nucleation (just like the rough styro surface, as discussed earlier ITT). But on that theory, rinsing the ice cubes would reduce the imperfections, so rinsing them should reduce the nucleation/fizz.

So what gives?
No idea, but try rinsing your ice before pouring a cold Coke over next time. At least in my mind it improves the taste.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
:facepalm:
And here I thought I was in the company of engineering savants.
Nope. Just an attorney.

By the way- I heard that back in the day if Goizueta was serving a Coke in his office, the ice was rinsed. No idea if this is true though.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Nope. Just an attorney.

By the way- I heard that back in the day if Goizueta was serving a Coke in his office, the ice was rinsed. No idea if this is true though.
Well, my dad was a KO executive for 30 years, and I grew up with three fountain machines with crushed ice makers in our home and KO trucks delivering syrup directly to my house, and probably 75% by volume of the liquid that goes in my body is a KO product... and I've never rinsed my ice. In the back recesses of my memory it is ringing some distant bells, but I don't know why. Perhaps @goldeagle is right that this is more a food safety thing than a flavor thing. Or perhaps this is going to resolve to a pee'-can/puh-con' thing.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
It doesn't seem like you addressed CGC's contention re: why styrofoam is better than anything else vis-a-vis the carbonation. His argument had something to do with the way the styrofoam interacts with the liquid and escaping bubbles; it wasn't temperature-dependent.
As you know, carbonation is highly temperature-dependent. So there.

I don't think the "nooks and crannies" have a noticeable effect on carbonation levels, although they may temporarily capture CO2 which is then popped up into the nose later when it breaks the surface tension. Again, mouth and nose feel FTW.

AugustaJacket

Helluva Engineer
"The styrofoam mixes with the bubbles for greater than the plastic cups"

"The plastic is thermodynamically opposed to the bubbles"

Discuss.

While I could maybe buy that styro provides a fizzier drink, I am just dubious on his specific words / explanation of the reason for the effect.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
"The styrofoam mixes with the bubbles for greater than the plastic cups"

"The plastic is thermodynamically opposed to the bubbles"

Discuss.

While I could maybe buy that styro provides a fizzier drink, I am just dubious on his specific words / explanation of the reason for the effect.
I mean, he's a football coach. He's not designing a space suit for NASA.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I mean, he's a football coach. He's not designing a space suit for NASA.
That's a shame cause it sounds like he could design an awesome spacesuit. I took thermodynamics at SPSU. One of the first lessons was about plastic being thermodynamically opposed to bubbles. It was a great school and I got teached a lot there.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
That's a shame cause it sounds like he could design an awesome spacesuit. I took thermodynamics at SPSU. One of the first lessons was about plastic being thermodynamically opposed to bubbles. It was a great school and I got teached a lot there.
They learned you good.

Status
Not open for further replies.