Introductory Press Conference @6pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I didn’t think this deserved it’s own thread but perhaps it does. I am a EE from GT, so this is outside my wheelhouse. However, has there been any discussion on CGC’s Cherry Coke and his “thermodynamically opposed” styrofoam. Was he just kidding? Any truth to the plastic vs styro diff for carbo drinks? Any truth to the diff being due to thermo?

I assume that fizzy drinks in styro could be diff tban plastic. Just didnt see the thermo aspect. Am I overthinking any of it?
Fwiw, I am boycotting McDonald's because they have gotten rid of Styrofoam cups

I boycotted Chick Fil A for a year for getting rid of coleslaw. #coleslawlivesmatter. I still will never eat at a Chick Fil A on God's day, Sunday, because of it.

My boycotts normally last a year.

AugustaJacket

Helluva Engineer

I boycotted Chick Fil A for a year for getting rid of coleslaw. #coleslawlivesmatter. I still will never eat at a Chick Fil A on God's day, Sunday, because of it.

My boycotts normally last a year.
Not helping and I LOVE styro at Chick-Fil-A as well as their simulated crushed ice.

JJacket

Not helping and I LOVE styro at Chick-Fil-A as well as their simulated crushed ice.
To be fair, when I said I was boycotting Chick Fil A because they got rid of coleslaw and added kale salad, my girlfriend said "But you don't even get the coleslaw"

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I didn’t think this deserved it’s own thread but perhaps it does. I am a EE from GT, so this is outside my wheelhouse. However, has there been any discussion on CGC’s Cherry Coke and his “thermodynamically opposed” styrofoam. Was he just kidding? Any truth to the plastic vs styro diff for carbo drinks? Any truth to the diff being due to thermo?

I assume that fizzy drinks in styro could be diff tban plastic. Just didnt see the thermo aspect. Am I overthinking any of it?
Okay....

1. The KO product is the same whether it is in an approved plastic or approved styro or approved wax paper cup, etc. However, the mouth feel and nose feel may be diff.

2. The styro holds the drink closer to the optimum temperature longer, so it tends to hold carbonation longer and has slower ice melt. Given a choice, I always go styro. The seagulls can just suck it.

3. You can't taste the diff between cane sugar and HFCS. It is in your head.

4. The proper name for crushed ice is pelletized ice. I like it but it will sometimes make the legacy fountain freeze up and dispense crap.

JJacket

Okay....

1. The KO product is the same whether it is in an approved plastic or approved styro or approved wax paper cup, etc. However, the mouth feel and nose feel may be diff.

2. The styro holds the drink closer to the optimum temperature longer, so it tends to hold carbonation longer and has slower ice melt. Given a choice, I always go styro. The seagulls can just suck it.

4. The proper name for crushed ice is pelletized ice. I like it but it will sometimes make the legacy fountain freeze up and dispense crap.
The largest drink at Zaxby's is a plastic cup. The next size down is styrofoam. I always choose the styrofoam.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Okay....

It doesn't seem like you addressed CGC's contention re: why styrofoam is better than anything else vis-a-vis the carbonation. His argument had something to do with the way the styrofoam interacts with the liquid and escaping bubbles; it wasn't temperature-dependent.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
It doesn't seem like you addressed CGC's contention re: why styrofoam is better than anything else vis-a-vis the carbonation. His argument had something to do with the way the styrofoam interacts with the liquid and escaping bubbles; it wasn't temperature-dependent.
The styro is a rougher surface which allows more opportunities for the carbonation bubbles to form. Or, if you prefer scientific terminology, nucleation sites. That's not really thermodynamics, the only thermodynamics involved is that styrofoam is the better insulator of the two.

18in32

Petard Hoister
The styro is a rougher surface which allows more opportunities for the carbonation bubbles to form. Or, if you prefer scientific terminology, nucleation sites. That's not really thermodynamics, the only thermodynamics involved is that styrofoam is the better insulator of the two.
So... he passes the GT nerd test?

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
The best of all is styrofoam cup with the drink poured over rinsed ice (fill cup with ice, pour cold water over ice, pour out water, fill with Coke).

goldeagle

Dodd-Like
The best of all is styrofoam cup with the drink poured over rinsed ice (fill cup with ice, pour cold water over ice, pour out water, fill with Coke).
Always pour beverage over the ice, the ice shocks the beverage for a more intense flavor.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
You realize that styrene is a carcinogen, right? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3165940/

It's not terrible in cold environments because of minimal leaching into the food, but in warm environments (e.g. coffee) it leaches into the product. Buy warm sides from a fast food restaurant served in styrofoam and you'll literally see where the styrofoam was "eaten" by the food. The limitation of holding time in some fast food places is that the bottom of the styrofoam container will fall out.

goldeagle

Dodd-Like
You are still pouring the beverage over the ice, the ice has just been rinsed prior to doing this.
Reply was posted for those who don't feel the need to rinse their ice. If your ice machine is properly maintained ice doesn't need rinsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.