Introductory Press Conference @6pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here.

Did we loosen up the academic restrictions? CGC did great while he was here recruiting, but 2001 and 2007 are way different than 2018.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/academic-progress-rate-timeline

APR penalities had started in '05 so you can't count what he did under O'leary (anyone remember THAT academic fiasco!). And APR penalties are much higher today than in '07. Avg APR 900 then, now it is 940.

As much as CGC talks about "swag" there are fixed realities of GT football-called academics-that unless or until degrees are opened up it's just tough. I love the attitude that CGC has that it's not "challenges" it's "incentives"-that's great salesman BS-but at the end of the day it is BS b/c some of the "elite" athletes can't to algebra and if they can't do algebra they won't make it here. That's just a fact.

I hope his razzle, dazzle BS works, just like it worked for Swinney-if it does I'll be tickled pink-but I'm not holding my breath either.
Money buys happiness. Let’s see if the apparent sea change in personality coupled with an injection of pure cash can truly overcome the inherent difficulty with recruiting to the Institute. It’s almost like unstoppable force meets immovable object given this guy’s rep for recruiting and recruiting in the area in particular. Something has gotta give... I’m excited just to get the data point.

I'm not butthurt- just calling out BS. I guess you're a jerk too.

Lot's of jerks in this world-glad you could join the ranks.
Man, you gonna have to have better game than calling me a jerk. I get called much worse around here.
Besides, I'm rubber you're glue.
Now did this work out how you expected it to? Please go to the Stingtalk review forum at the bottom of the main page and you can give me a score

To be blunt, you're as wrong as can be about the NFL. They absolutely evaluate the scheme you were in and how well it translates. You can make it in spite of that with superior measurables, but it's a big chunk of the evaluation process.

We can agree that his success will be predicated by his assistant hires.
But....but.....all NFL coaching strategies are exactly the same so CGC = CCG

I'm not butthurt- just calling out BS. I guess you're a jerk too.

Lot's of jerks in this world-glad you could join the ranks.

You can't go back to the silent majority now. You ööööed up and posted on stingtalk. Now you're one of us jerks and you will get the jerk treatment. Probably from JJacket's mom.

You can't go back to the silent majority now. You ööööed up and posted on stingtalk. Now you're one of us jerks and you will get the jerk treatment. Probably from JJacket's mom.
She is on her way right now to Virginia. It is 106 miles away, she's got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and she's wearing sunglasses.
I suggest Stoner start lubing up

Well, he's really only talked about GT for a few minutes so far. Lets calm down sparky
I agree. Look it was a "great" conference. He said all the right things, high energy, blah, blah, blah.

I like more the Paul Johnson attitude; I don't care what you say, show me. What you do tells me a lot more than what you say. I have a pretty good BS meter. And there was a lot of BS at the press conference-even if CGC believes it or even if everyone else believes it or the media etc.

The BS is meter is this-GT has some very unique challenges b/c of academics-period. Those don't go away simply b/c you have a high energy great salesman coach. The facts are he has only been a HC for 2 years-that's it. It remains to be seen if he is actually HC material-maybe he is.

If he is another Dabo Swinney we just made the deal of a lifetime-but if he's not then it's gonna be rough. Dabo Swinney had NEVER been a head coach and he has been awesome-one of the best in the biz. So that is a possibility. But it's also possible that he flops.

Point is that this is actually a really risky hire-people don't see it that way-but it is a really risky hire. High risk-high reward. So I'm down with it. But with high risk-high reward you cut bait fast when you know it isn't gonna work out.

That 7 year contract better be a low dollar amount and a low buy-out otherwise we potentially screwed ourselves again with another stupid contract like Hewitt.

This could be a really, really great hire and I'm willing to let it play (I'm not upset at all at the hire), but we'll see-we'll see.

How come Geoff spells his name Geoff (French) rather than Jeff? Was he named after the Toys R Us Giraffe - Geoffrey? It's weird! Gives me the willies......

I agree. Look it was a "great" conference. He said all the right things, high energy, blah, blah, blah.

I like more the Paul Johnson attitude; I don't care what you say, show me. What you do tells me a lot more than what you say. I have a pretty good BS meter. And there was a lot of BS at the press conference-even if CGC believes it or even if everyone else believes it or the media etc.

The BS is meter is this-GT has some very unique challenges b/c of academics-period. Those don't go away simply b/c you have a high energy great salesman coach. The facts are he has only been a HC for 2 years-that's it. It remains to be seen if he is actually HC material-maybe he is.

If he is another Dabo Swinney we just made the deal of a lifetime-but if he's not then it's gonna be rough. Dabo Swinney had NEVER been a head coach and he has been awesome-one of the best in the biz. So that is a possibility. But it's also possible that he flops.

Point is that this is actually a really risky hire-people don't see it that way-but it is a really risky hire. Hire risk-hire reward. So I'm down with it. But with high risk-high reward you cut bait fast when you know it isn't gonna work out.

That 7 year contract better be a low dollar amount and a low buy-out otherwise we potentially screwed ourselves again with another stupid contract like Hewitt.

This could be a really, really great hire and I'm willing to let it play (I'm not upset at all at the hire), but we'll see-we'll see.
So you like CPJ being a jerk, but when I'm a jerk it is a problem. Dude, my winning percentage on this board is almost exactly what CPJ's is at GT. If it weren't for Rules and Crew, it would be lower, but they just throw softballs at me (kinda like the one I just threw)

How come Geoff spells his name Geoff (French) rather than Jeff? Was he named after the Toys R Us Giraffe - Geoffrey? It's weird! Gives me the willies......
Apparently, his dad liked soccer, which means Czar is gonna show back up and post nothing but soccer links again

To be blunt, you're as wrong as can be about the NFL. They absolutely evaluate the scheme you were in and how well it translates. You can make it in spite of that with superior measurables, but it's a big chunk of the evaluation process.

We can agree that his success will be predicated by his assistant hires.
How do you know? I'm dying to hear.

I doubt it b/c at the end of the day, it's a business and they know that no college team is going to run the exact scheme and not only that but most don't immediately come in and play. They ride the bench for a year or two, play special teams, etc. etc. etc. It takes for a 22-23 year old man to bulk up to be competitive with 27 year old men.

Some do play immediately-those would be 1st round draft picks-otherwise you gonna ride the pine for a while. Teams know that as long as you can show you can learn a scheme the one you play in doesn't matter.

Can you block, can you tackle, can you evade defenders, etc. We have WRs that played NFL and played TO . . .explain that? It comes down to the basics.

How do you know? I'm dying to hear.

I doubt it b/c at the end of the day, it's a business and they know that no college team is going to run the exact scheme and not only that but most don't immediately come in and play. They ride the bench for a year or two, play special teams, etc. etc. etc. It takes for a 22-23 year old man to bulk up to be competitive with 27 year old men.

Some do play immediately-those would be 1st round draft picks-otherwise you gonna ride the pine for a while. Teams know that as long as you can show you can learn a scheme the one you play in doesn't matter.

Can you block, can you tackle, can you evade defenders, etc. We have WRs that played NFL and played TO . . .explain that? It comes down to the basics.
Just pretend your brother-in-law is an NFL scout and he tells you scheme doesn't matter. Exaggerating/fabricating authority is the coin of this anonymous realm. For example, did you know that GTCrew and I are "lawyers"?

Just pretend your brother-in-law is an NFL scout and he tells you scheme doesn't matter. Exaggerating/fabricating authority is the coin of this anonymous realm. For example, did you know that GTCrew and I are "lawyers"?
Well, I'm an optometrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back