Is any one honestly worried about Vandy?

TeamBuzz

Varsity Lurker
I know you never should take any one lightly, but I know some Tech folks saying they are concerned. Are we really a program that has to fret playing a team like Vandy? Even with the coaching change I would like to think that this should be a nice win for us.

Thoughts? Comments?

drinking.gif

I for one am not worried at all. Vandy has made a good hire but Johnson won't build Rome in one season.

Tech simply has too much depth, too much speed, and too much talent for the Dores. Of course if we shoot ourselves in the foot anything is possible but I think we win this one 37 - 10 or thereabouts.

The only thing that worries me is "first game." Anything can and usually does happen first game. I can recall powerful FSU teams that contended for national championships having trouble against teams with a lot less talent in first games. I don't take anything for granted. We need to come to play.

I'm slightly concerned about the competition. However, I'm MUCH MORE concerned about escaping this non-conference game injury-free. "No Jacket Left Behind!"

Vandy does have a lot to prove, but so do we...and we have more. We roll.

Originally posted by gnats 67:
Can't say as I'm worried but cautiously optimistic. Vanderbilt has an awful lot to prove to themselves in this one. Their whole season can be colored with how well they perform in this game. Its actually quite critical for them. If they fall on their face, heaven help them!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually I disagree with you here. There are far more critical games ahead for evaluating Year 1 of the Johnson regime. Obviously a win would put us ahead of where we expect to be, but barring a 222-0 final score or some sort of mental collapse it's hard to imagine getting too wrought up over a loss.

Games like Furman, MTSU, and Kentucky will show us more about if we're really impoved from last year.

Lets review, shall we:

2001: Is anyone really worried about Syracuse?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Naaahhh! We're in the top 10, we whomped 'em good, by, uh, 13-7!

2000: Is anyone really worried about Central Florida?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Naaaahhh! We whomped them 21-17 by scoring 2 TDs in the last 5 minutes!

1998: Is anyone really worried about Boston College?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Naaahhhh! We whomp...errr...uh nevermind.

Conclusion: Always be a little worried about that first game. Vandy looks similar to all these teams preseason. We struggled mightily in those games even though GT was the superior team on paper.

Well, let me say - I am definitely worried.

Vandy will be well coached, and depth (IMO) isn't nearly the same factor in the first game of the year as compared with later in the season (not suffering from injuries etc)..Plus with a few bad bounces, turnovers, some momentum in the wrong direction, things could get sticky in a hurry, especially if Vandy makes it close well into the third quarter.

I think I sat through too many close games with Furman during the Curry years to relax in ANY game...

kirbee, LOL Danggg! You're busting some bubbles. POP!

You're point is excellent. It's football and the game has to be played. Both teams will find out a lot about themselves in this first game. They'll both improve the most between this game and second because of ajustments made.

Us being at home is going to be big advantage for this game. The new stadium with game time at 6pm should have fans juiced. Think the players will play off that.

I for one am not worried about Vandy. I think we will and should win this game. I do however know that even the elite teams (which we aren't one) can get beat with the combination of bad luck and bad momentum. I don't think our team will overlook Vandy or come out flat because they have a lot to prove with it being Chan's first game. Plus whoever starts at running back will want to prove that they deserve that job.

Originally posted by PhilipVU94:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually I disagree with you here. There are far more critical games ahead for evaluating Year 1 of the Johnson regime. Obviously a win would put us ahead of where we expect to be, but barring a 222-0 final score or some sort of mental collapse it's hard to imagine getting too wrought up over a loss.

Games like Furman, MTSU, and Kentucky will show us more about if we're really impoved from last year.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Noted. But typically Vandy teams go from bad to worse based on experience. If they lose this "first" game miserably it will impact the rest of the season.

Kirbee: I don't agree that any of those teams were similar to Vandy.

UCF and BC were a bit better, and Cuse was a LOT better even if they hadn't exceeded expecations.

You're right that we did suck pretty hard against UCF and BC though. If we play like that we could easily lose to Vandy.

I think Philip (above) is right. We don't expect to beat Tech but we do expect to beat UConn, Furman and hopefully MTSU and Kentucky. Nobody(except probably Coach Johnson)
really feels any pressure to beat you. I think you win 27-10.I just hope we can avoid injuries too, our depth situation is abominable.

Yeah, I'm concerned about Vandy. I've seen them beat or, at least scare, some teams that should have steamrolled the Dores. Combine that with our penchant to struggle in first games, and I could be a nervous wreck. I believe that Tech will win, but we'll sure have to play a heckuva game to beat these guys. They're just as excited to play Tech as we are to play them. I think Tech wins in a close one.

Vanderbilt used to be a serious rivaly for TECH. Both schools were founding members of the SEC IIRC
and the record against Vandy is pretty even over the years ( back when Columbus discovered America Vanderbilt actually had a pretty decent football program) but no one remembers all that especially them. We hope. Chan and Co. had better be ready to hand these fellas their hats.

Can't say as I'm worried but cautiously optimistic. Vanderbilt has an awful lot to prove to themselves in this one. Their whole season can be colored with how well they perform in this game. Its actually quite critical for them. If they fall on their face, heaven help them!

I'm going to predict TECH's strength manhandles them though GT 38 Vandy (vs the reserves) 17

Originally posted by TeamBuzz:
. Are we really a program that has to fret playing a team like Vandy?
Thoughts? Comments?

drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Anything can happen, but I'm not "worried" about Vandy if our staff has the team focussed on them properly. Right now, it's the most imprtant game of the season.

I am concerned because it is a first game... sort of echoing GTTerrific's sentiments... First games always seem to be dysfuntional in a way... I dont feel we can take Vandy lightly at all... remember BC a few years back.... that was awful... I hope we take them seriously, get our work done early... and hopefully have a chance to play alot of people.... the ability to get into a game so soon after summer camp is a big boost emotionally as a player...

Actually for a while there Vandy owned Tech but then Dodd took over and he consistently beat them and we now own the series record.

I just think that this year is different. Different HC and more enthusiasm than I have seen in the past few years from the players. I think we come out ready to play with something to prove.

37 - 10 Tech

Back