Is any one honestly worried about Vandy?

I'd have to say that I never take anything for granted. Is that sufficiently vague?
wink.gif

But seriously folks, I would be lying if I said I feel totally sure we'll beat Vanderbilt. I DO feel totally sure we have the talent to do so and I also feel totally sure that we have the coaches who are capable of putting our players in position to win that game. But that's as far as I'm willing to go. I've followed sports for too long to take wins for granted (not suggesting anyone here is taking a win against Vanderbilt for granted).

Obviously, anything can happen and I expect the players to treat Vandy very seriously. A guy I once knew used to say, their kids are on scholarship too.

However, as fans the time has come to go out and have some fun with this team. I've got confidence in this football team and this is a game that MUST be won. We can't afford to worry, we need to give BDS a sense of confidence on 8/31.

It would be a serious mistake to overlook the potential of an upset from Vanderbilt. A new coaching staff sometimes causes a team to have more confidence than usual.

It is true that the lack of depth will eventually tell on teams during the year, but anything can happen on a one-game basis. As one of the poster's above has shown the facts of some previous opening games for Tech, anything can happen.

drinking.gif

Ask Virgina about Colorado State.

ahsoisee, what do I ask UVA about CSU? This talk about UVA being upset is silly. The ACC writers voted UVA #8 in the league and CSU is picked to win the Mountain West, yet UVA was upset. Sorry, but that has been driving me crazy all day.

Syracuse was a team that finished 9-3 and blew out Kansas State.

Central Florida was a Florida team that has been very competitive for years now and can afford to take borderline academic kids.

Boston College was a decent football team with a big veteran line, and an NFL type RB. They were the perfect type of team to take advantage of our young DTs and LBs in '98.

Vandy is a poor football team. This is a game that we cannot afford to lose. The players need to be focused, but this is a game that we must win. If we don't, then we aren't the type of team or program we thought we were and there's no sense even talking about this stuff.

Vandy will play hard and they will move the football, the game may even be very ugly. That being said, it's CG's first game, first game of the season, and the first game in the new stadium. If our boys aren't ready to roll in this one, then we better start focusing on our tailgates because it's going to be a long year.

We have the players and the coach that will take care of Vandy with some resistance but will win no doubt about it. You can count on it. Chan will see to it.
sniper.gif
2gunsfiring.gif
rocketlauncher.gif
bigthumbup.gif

Oh dang it Axe!!! Stop making so much sense. Good grief.
wink.gif

I've got first game gitters big time. Positive I am in general, but first games always make me a bit nervous. Maybe a bit more so this year because there are so many changes. Thanks for the logic and insight in your post.

BTW, did anyone see Southern Sports Report last night. Haven't seen this talked about. Had AJ on there talking about what it was like practicing for the first time in BDS. Man was he pumped. Said it gave him butterflies like the feeling of game day.

Your post reminded me of this. Our team should be jacked up and ready to play. Really think the intesity in BDS is going to be special. It's going to be hard to control my emotions when the Jackets get off the bus at Yellow Jacket Alley alone. Game time is going to be sky high for me. This is pretty much an experienced team. Even though AJ, Hollings, and some others having played for GT in their positions at GT, they aren't new to game day atmosphere. With a real young team I sometimes worry about their emotions not being focused. Think this team will be very focused. They've got something to prove from last year with the adversity they went though. They'll be ready to play!!

Can't wait!!

"expect the best but prepare for the worst"

Vandy plays UGAg tough every year, their capable of pulling the upset. Don't forget BC couple years ago like Kirbee said. We had a great year, but just weren't ready to play that day.

There will be moments of high tension and drama, no doubt.

If it makes you feel any better, we've lost to two football factories [MTSU and Miami (of Ohio)] our last two openers. You can't even compete in first game incompentancy.

buffy:

I'm surprised the GT folk aren't more offended that we picked them this year for our perennial season-opening midmajor flop. I mean, talk about lack of respect! ;-)

The first game this year will show us a lot (or at least give us some clues).

1) With all the talk from various sources about players 'liking' Chan better than O'Leary, will that prove to be a positive thing or a negative thing?

2) We all know that O'Leary and staff were thorough, if nothing else. Will Chan appear to be thorough enough or will there be a level of laxity in preparation that will be disturbing?

3) Will the competition against the 'superior' talent of the SEC show up in Vandy's conditioning, motivation and heart?

4) Was the malaise from last year a coaching issue or a player's issue?

A few good questions that beckon answers I should think.

Axe, you are not using good reasoning. There have been several posters that have indicated a Tech win is not necessarily a sure thing. The reason you play games is to declare a winner. The winner is not given the game automatically because they are considered the superior team.

There is no doubt Tech is the superior team, but that does not equate to a sure thing. There have been far worse upsets than a Tech loss to Vanderbilt, should it happen.

Personally, I have predicted Tech to lose only one game this year, so you cannot say I am picking Vandy to upset Tech, but the possibility is always there. I can predict any game, but I can not assure you of its outcome and neither can you. You may predict and guess right, but that is only playing the odds.

Since both of us predict Tech will beat Vanderbilt, what is your problem? Vanderbilt could still upset Tech, and nothing you could do could stop it, should it happen.

Again, you can only predict, you can not assure any win by any team. Your reasoning on this is flawed.

drinking.gif

Agree with most above about our "POTENTIAL" and "ABILITY" to win, but take NOTHING for granted and NO team lightly! I think you can definitely compare Vandy favorably to first game teams we played the last three years...and all three games were either close or we were pounded by BC. ANYTHING can happen and mistakes often do in first games. Put a coupla BIG mistakes together and we could EASILY lose.

We gotta be on our toes. Gotta play SOUND, FUNDAMENTAL football. Gotta avoid the mistakes. Gotta play our best.

We do all that and we should win. Not too much to ask.

wink.gif

Back