Is Dabo gone too??

Odd rumor.

He would not last long in the NFL. He won’t be out coaching anyone and he won’t have more talent than nearly every team on the schedule.

Surely, he was just attending a game there…

Agreed but this is the Raiders we're talking about. They're not a franchise known for intelligent decision-making.

Plus it would be glorious to watch Clemson fall back to reality.

You think a guy with 2 National Championships and a historic 7-8 year run at an ACC school needs to win another NC to land a high paying job?

I think most people put his success on the backs of his coordinators, and less on him, yes. Venables has been the DC for the entire historic run you referenced and has been on head coaching wish lists for most of it.

But perhaps people should have been saying that. I hate to stick up for him, but he can absolutely coach, IMO.

To his credit, he was smart enough to recognize the value of really, really good coordinators. He can be the goofy, likable face of the program and others can do the heavy lifting. I thought GT was adopting this model, but alas...

I don't think that Dabo is terrible, but I think he will look quite average without his great D coordinator and back to back generational QBs in Watson and Lawrence (to be fair, any coach would look less "smart"). Dabo comes across as a guy that isn't going to out X and O anyone, but does a good job delegating to those that do and focusing on recruiting.

I think most people put his success on the backs of his coordinators, and less on him, yes. Venables has been the DC for the entire historic run you referenced and has been on head coaching wish lists for most of it.

Outside of GT boards, I’ve never heard that narrative that he is only successful because of coordinators.

What Dabo did was build a culture that many wanted to be a part of, and none wanted to leave. They’ve had almost no player/coach attrition for a decade. That has been the key to their success.

They’ve had some pretty damn good offenses as well - including two generational talents at QB from our backyard that he recruited the hell out of to being to Clemson

No chance he leaves anywhere except if Bama opens up
Why?

We know that Mark Davis has at least $10 million a year to throw at a new head coach. Not exactly chump change.
Furthermore . . . Las Vegas >>>>>>>> South Carolina Cow Country :puke: .

I think a large majority of folks would prefer to live in the warmth, sunshine, and glamor of Vegas than stuck in the mud of western South Carolina with a bunch of farm animals and dumbasses, and where the entertainment consists of chip tossing and tipping cows.

No boosters or insane fans with unrealistic expactations to placate. Just ONE person to answer to. ONE owner who is already well used to losing anyway.

And he just lost his great defensive coordinator. Good time to reevaluate.

He has nothing left to prove as a college coach and going pro would be a chance to test himself at the highest level . . . like Chuck Fairbanks, and Lou Holtz, and JJ, and Switzer, and Spurrier, and Dennis Erickson, and John McKay, and Urban Meyer, and . . . well, like Nick Satan, too.

Dabo going to Vegas would actually make a lot of sense, IMO.

Why?

We know that Mark Davis has at least $10 million a year to throw at a new head coach. Not exactly chump change.

I think a large majority of folks would prefer to live in the warmth, sunshine, and glamor of Vegas than stuck in the mud of western South Carolina with a bunch of farm animals and dumbasses, and where the entertainment consists of chip tossing and tipping cows.

No boosters or insane fans with unrealistic expactations to placate. Just ONE person to answer to. ONE owner who is already well used to losing anyway.

He has nothing left to prove as a college coach and going pro would be a chance to test himself at the highest level . . . like Chuck Fairbanks, and Lou Holtz, and JJ, and Switzer, and Spurrier, and Dennis Erickson, and John McKay, and Urban Meyer, and . . . well, like Nick Satan, too.

Two words: Saban in the NFL

He has nothing left to prove as a college coach and going pro would be a chance to test himself at the highest level

True. And the list of coaches you named were likely in the same situation.

Switzer got to coach a dynasty team in the NFL before the salary cap realities created parity. Spurrier was a great offensive mind and it didn't work. Urban Meyer looks miserable on the Jax sideline.

The issue that these coaches know to be true but the reality doesn't hit them as that you no longer have a sustainable advantage over an opponent (i.e. see Nick Saban's comments about returning to the college game over the pros). You no longer have a big talent advantage over 80%+ of the teams on your schedule.

While Dabo seems like a likable guy, I think that he would fare much worse than several of the names on your list.

Frick Dabo, I would love to watch him fail hard in the nfl, he seems likeable enough in interviews but he’s easy to root against when he’s being a total jackass on the opposing sideline

Two words: Saban in the NFL
That's four words, Math Major. :)

So what? I could write "JJ in the NFL." And did floundering around in Miami for a couple of years hurt Saban or his rep? Nope. Allowed time for the Bama job to open and for him to take over . . . say, BTW, how old will Saint Nick be in a couple of years? And who will take over for him when he leaves? I know that Nick Satan was around 56 when he took over at Bama. When does Dabo turn 56, and what will he do between now and then . . . ?

True. And the list of coaches you named were likely in the same situation.

Switzer got to coach a dynasty team in the NFL before the salary cap realities created parity. Spurrier was a great offensive mind and it didn't work. Urban Meyer looks miserable on the Jax sideline.

The issue that these coaches know to be true but the reality doesn't hit them as that you no longer have a sustainable advantage over an opponent (i.e. see Nick Saban's comments about returning to the college game over the pros). You no longer have a big talent advantage over 80%+ of the teams on your schedule.

While Dabo seems like a likable guy, I think that he would fare much worse than several of the names on your list.
I dunno . . . most of them were colossal failures in the NFL. Other than JJ . . . and Switzer who inherited JJ's team. I guess I could toss the great Paul Brown in there, but that was a long time ago and he had already kind of left tOSU because of being commissioned in the Navy during WW2 and then he never returned to tOSU.

Hard to do much worse than Spurrier or John McKay.

Anyway, none of that stopped Urban from accepting the challenge with a putrid Jags franchise, did it? And Dabo would be getting a much better shot with Vegas (if Davis offered, and if he accepted).

Why?

I would only ever live in the south or maybe the mountains. Would never want to live in Vegas. That’s just me though.

Perkins after Bear at Bana
Carson after Dodd
Goff after Dooley
Earl Bruce after Woody Hayes
It usually doesn’t end well
John Robinson after John McKay
Barry Switzer after Chuck Fairbanks
Tom Osborne after Bob Devaney
Kyle Whittingham after Urban Meyer
Ryan Day after Urban Meyer
Lincoln Riley after Bob Stoops

So it can go either way.

I would only ever live in the south or maybe the mountains. Would never want to live in Vegas. That’s just me though.
Not just you. Lots of folks feel the same way.

But I think that would be a minority of folks across the country. No, I can't prove that. But I've lived all over the country, and that is just my sense.

John Robinson after John McKay
Barry Switzer after Chuck Fairbanks
Tom Osborne after Bob Devaney
Kyle Whittingham after Urban Meyer
Ryan Day after Urban Meyer
Lincoln Riley after Bob Stoops

So it can go either way.
Bobby Dodd after William Alexander
Kirby after Mark Richt
Jimmy Johnson after Howard Schellenburger
Jimbo after Bobby Bowden

Bobby Dodd after William Alexander
Kirby after Mark Richt
Jimmy Johnson after Howard Schellenburger
Jimbo after Bobby Bowden

bingo-tarantino.gif

And you reminded me of Dennis Erickson after Jimmy Johnson after Howard Schnellenberger.

Back