Is Dabo gone too??

JCTNJacket

Varsity Lurker
I would only ever live in the south or maybe the mountains. Would never want to live in Vegas. That’s just me though.
The mountains of the SE USA are about as good as it gets. Lived all over... Vegas is hot as hades or cold and windy. Gambling, weed, and hookers are legal though....

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
While Dabo seems like a likable guy, I think that he would fare much worse than several of the names on your list.
Or he could end up like Pete Carroll. Who knows.

So long Dabo, enjoy Vegas.

ClubSeats

Well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory
Why?

We know that Mark Davis has at least $10 million a year to throw at a new head coach. Not exactly chump change.
Furthermore . . . Las Vegas >>>>>>>> South Carolina Cow Country :puke: .

I think a large majority of folks would prefer to live in the warmth, sunshine, and glamor of Vegas than stuck in the mud of western South Carolina with a bunch of farm animals and dumbasses, and where the entertainment consists of chip tossing and tipping cows.

No boosters or insane fans with unrealistic expactations to placate. Just ONE person to answer to. ONE owner who is already well used to losing anyway.

And he just lost his great defensive coordinator. Good time to reevaluate.

He has nothing left to prove as a college coach and going pro would be a chance to test himself at the highest level . . . like Chuck Fairbanks, and Lou Holtz, and JJ, and Switzer, and Spurrier, and Dennis Erickson, and John McKay, and Urban Meyer, and . . . well, like Nick Satan, too.

Dabo going to Vegas would actually make a lot of sense, IMO.
Dabo is a country boy. He likes to hunt and fish. Vegas has nothing to offer him, Clemson has everything he wants.

GT98

Dodd-Like
Anyway, none of that stopped Urban from accepting the challenge with a putrid Jags franchise, did it? And Dabo would be getting a much better shot with Vegas (if Davis offered, and if he accepted).
Of course not. The money, allure, ego, is perhaps too much...

While the Raiders are in better roster shape right now, I'd much rather take over a team in the AFC South vs. the AFC West. The West is much tougher and likely will be over the next several seasons w/Mahomes and Herbert.

donsue

Flats Noob
John Robinson after John McKay
Barry Switzer after Chuck Fairbanks
Tom Osborne after Bob Devaney
Kyle Whittingham after Urban Meyer
Ryan Day after Urban Meyer
Lincoln Riley after Bob Stoops

So it can go either way.
It certainly can.

Wylie76

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Outside of GT boards, I’ve never heard that narrative that he is only successful because of coordinators.

What Dabo did was build a culture that many wanted to be a part of, and none wanted to leave. They’ve had almost no player/coach attrition for a decade. That has been the key to their success.

They’ve had some pretty damn good offenses as well - including two generational talents at QB from our backyard that he recruited the hell out of to being to Clemson
Exactly. Hate blinds folks

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
When has Clemson ever been able to recruit to a level and win as much as they have in the past 10 years? Ans. NEVER. I’m telling you… The NCAA is coming, the crap is about to hit the fan and their football program is going to be sanctioned so bad, it will look like Geoff Collins is their coach for the next 10-15 years.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
When has Clemson ever been able to recruit to a level and win as much as they have in the past 10 years? Ans. NEVER. I’m telling you… The NCAA is coming, the crap is about to hit the fan and their football program is going to be sanctioned so bad, it will look like Geoff Collins is their coach for the next 10-15 years.
Spot marked for future reference.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Why on earth would the NFL want him. All he can do is recruit.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Spot marked for future reference.
Also, they recruit against Alabama, Georgia and the new ESPN “mini-NFL”. Alabama and the SEC know important people who can enforce NCAA rules when they want to. Clemson is not going to get away with that. Don’t believe me? Ask Brian Kelly and Notre Dame. They will tell you.

BuzzinWreck78

Helluva Engineer
and if your definition of correct pronunciation is "how it's pronounced locally" then you got it right.
I didn't learn to hear the p until about age 50.down here - most say it but can't hear it.
for me now, the p comes after a few beers (pun intended)

HCOJacket25

Varsity Lurker
True. And the list of coaches you named were likely in the same situation.

Switzer got to coach a dynasty team in the NFL before the salary cap realities created parity. Spurrier was a great offensive mind and it didn't work. Urban Meyer looks miserable on the Jax sideline.

The issue that these coaches know to be true but the reality doesn't hit them as that you no longer have a sustainable advantage over an opponent (i.e. see Nick Saban's comments about returning to the college game over the pros). You no longer have a big talent advantage over 80%+ of the teams on your schedule.

While Dabo seems like a likable guy, I think that he would fare much worse than several of the names on your list.
Maybe I'm the only guy who thinks he seems like a jerk?