I envision that UGAG under Ritch will
become like the teams of the 80's under
Dooley. I also think it will be a good
while before we are competitive with
them again.

Maybe this year Coach will start studying
game film on UGAG earlier than he did last
year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How many of their players would have been gone from GT during flunkgate? Most of 'em.

During Flunkgate...yes. Afterwards with proper/deserved support and reasonable legitimate choices of study...NO. THWG

Mark Richt/FSU HC

There's no doubt about it. Question is, will UGAg promote an asst. or try for the home run hire?

Agree OldGold, Richt with his mat drills and idea of a system has Georgia expecting to win.

He took a program and elevated it.

Don't even want to get into comparisons, but I am amazed at how our expectations have fallen in the last three years.

We went from "do you think we can beat FSU on the road and win the ACC" to "gee, if we beat Vandy and pull an upset from this team or that team we can win four games"

What happened? The boss at Georgia, Adams, who no one likes but has some definite opinions of his program, gets involved. The boss at Tech, who thinks athletics are to be tolerated at best and who hides, has no such expectations.

Originally posted by gnats67:
Mark Richt/FSU HC

There's no doubt about it. Question is, will UGAg promote an asst. or try for the home run hire?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Have you seen MR's new contract? Doesn't look like he'll be leaving anytime soon.

Gnats67 - there is no way that FSU or Miami can afford Ritch. You need to look at that contract in the AJC again.

He has an $8.3 million buyout clause after this season. The 2nd largest buyout in the country is around $2.5 million

Our best hope for Richt's undoing is him hiring an idiot DC after Van Gorder leaves for a HC job.

Having several friends who are
big money alumni at F.S.U, they
have told me more than once that
when St. Bobby retires, their man
will be Chuck Amato.

Also having beaten his old mentor
has not hurt his chances.

I would think that Amato would take
them up on their offer to coach at
F.S.U.

I'm not sure about Amato. He's at his alma mater, so him jumping to FSU is not a given. Also, it is well known that you can never follow a legend. I think Amato and Richt both know this.

FWIW, I think a lot of FSU fans are still bitter over the '02 Orange Bowl when FSU's offense stunk up the joint against Oklahoma. They place the blame soley on Richt trying to be UGA's HC and FSU's OC at the same time. While this is certainly part of the problem, Snoop Minnis getting declared academically ineligible didn't help, nor did all the WR drops, nor did Oklahoma's underrated (at the time) defense. Regardless, somewhere along the line, FSU fans started putting that loss soley and Richt's shoulders and do not want him back. Not that they could afford him now anyway.

I doubt Richt or Amato goes back to FSU. Richt has too high of a buy-out clause, plus who wants to be in Tallahassee?

Amato is building a strong program at his Alma Mater. Why would he think about leaving a good State and area of North Carolina to go back to Tallahassee?

It is always dangereous to follow a legend. It is not the smart thing to do.

Father Time

Richt wont be going anywhere with his contract. I am not saying that out of arrogance but the $$$$ is just ridiculous for another school to get. FSU and Miami will have to wait a little while and even if Richt doesnt go to the NFL (this is if he continues his success for 5-6-7 years), I am sure UGA will continue to raise his salary.

Now, about UGA being a powerhouse. That's BS. I want to see UGA win another SEC before I peg us as being a powerhouse.

Originally posted by oldgoldbee:
.....but, Mark Ritch is slowly but
surely building a perennial top ten
program over at UGAG!!

UGAG is a very well-coached team and
I did not think I would live long enough
to say that!!

They already own the State of Georgia
in recruiting. It's a damn shame that
all the hard work that Coach Brooks did
with the high schools in Georgia has
now gone for naught.

Maybe one of these days a light will go
off in CCG's head and he will realize
all the talent that we let get away to
UGAG and other schools.

I envision that UGAG under Ritch will
become like the teams of the 80's under
Dooley. I also think it will be a good
while before we are competitive with
them again.

Maybe this year Coach will start studying
game film on UGAG earlier than he did last
year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Who is Mark RITCH?

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Southlink, if you want to post over here, change that obnoxious tampon flag.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's beautiful isn't it?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

It always going to be tough for Tech to recruit in the state of Georgia. Look at the running back out of Tucker. He could come to Tech and probably start in 2004. Instead he is committed to UGA where he'll be behind Lumpkin, Cooper, Milton and others will be lucky to start as a redshirt junior in 2007. Richt is very good coach who has done a fine job in hiring his assistants. He is also like Bobby Bowden a moral hypocrite. The ethics classes he has for his players are nothing but a dog and pony show for the AJC. The real golden rule for Richt is "If you are a really good player the rules don't apply to you". I don't want be to be like that. What Tech needs is a Steve Spurrier type (would like the real thing but don't see that happening). A coach with a national reputation who runs a wide-open offense who can pluck a few recruits from Texas, Florida, etc. (Gailey to his credit did a good job in Florida last recruiting season). That's how we can compete with Richt.

Keep dreaming about getting Spurrier,
we have two chances of getting him...
......"slim and none."

Pardon me CDK, I did not
realize the errors of my age!

No matter either/or (Ritch or Richt)
the guy is doing a helluva job over
at UGAG.

And just as Father Wasp has said he
has taken that program and elevated
it to another level.

Whereas, our program has been taken
to another level also.

Originally posted by oldgoldbee:
Whereas, our program has been taken
to another level also.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">OGB,
Sad but true....very true.

But no one on this board can say they are surprised at how it has turned out; because they were completely and totally warned in advance.

Back