It's Miami and Virginia Tech!!!!

Re: It\'s Miami and Virginia Tech!!!!

Bellyseries, wasn't the addition of BC & SU originally a Miami request?

Originally posted by bizzybee:
Bellyseries, wasn't the addition of BC & SU originally a Miami request?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Right. Hmmm.

So what the ACC effectively did was lure UM into deep discussions with the promise of bringing in BC and Cuse, then blind-sided everybody with VT. Sounds Machiavellian and crafty when you put it that way, doesn't it?

Let's hope UM took the bait deep enough to come on in Monday.

ahsoisee, in answer to your question, yes, UCF and Miami are more ACC territory than BC or Syracuse. Like I said, look at the logo. Florida is an ACC state, Mass and NY are not. Now I don't have a particular problem with BC and if the league had voted for them that would have been fine by me. But to argue this on a geographic basis gets you no where, as you can probably tell by the responses you've gotten.

I cede to the logo as it is now, however, if the logo was different and changed after Georgia Tech and FSU entered the conference, then I still have a valid argument.

That means the ACC is ever changing according to the addition of conference members. If the State of Georgia and the State of Florida were added to the logo after we joined the conference, then it would be changed again after Syracuse and Boston College joined.

Since all the States are on the Atlantic Coast, then Syracuse and Boston College are still Atlantic Coast and the logo would have changed again after their entry.

wink.gif

The ACC is an Atlantic coast Southern conference:

The Atlantic Coast Conference was founded on May 8, 1953, at the Sedgefield Inn near Greensboro, N.C., with seven charter members - Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Carolina and Wake Forest - drawing up the conference by-laws.
The withdrawal of seven schools from the Southern Conference came early on the morning of May 8, 1953, during the Southern Conference’s annual spring meeting. On June 14, 1953, the seven members met in Raleigh, N.C., where a set of bylaws was adopted and the name became officially the Atlantic Coast Conference.

On December 4, 1953, conference officials met again at Sedgefield and officially admitted the University of Virginia. The first, and only, withdrawal of a school from the ACC came on June 30, 1971 when the University of South Carolina tendered its resignation.

The ACC operated with seven members until April 3, 1978, when Georgia Tech was admitted. The Atlanta school withdrew from the Southeastern Conference in January of 1964.

The ACC expanded to nine members on July 1, 1991, with the addition of Florida State.

swofford-podium.jpg

If a frog had wings... The point is you said BC and Syracuse were in ACC territory because they are closer to the Atlantic. You will never find anything related to the ACC that talks about distance from the ocean. The original premise was that all the states have an Atlantic coast in common. That's still true, even with the addition of VT. If the league expands to include BC it will still be true. But as of today, VT fits the current ACC "footprint" since it is in VA.

NCJacket, you just proved my point, Syracuse and Boston College are Atlantic Coast. Texstinger had said VT was in ACC country, but Syracuse and Boston College were not. You just said Syracuse and Boston College were on the Atlantic Coast.

That is what I said. I just happened to state Boston College was directly on the coast while VT was in the mountains of Virginia. So, in essence BC is more valid to be called Atlantic Coast than VT.

FHStinger, Maryland may be considered South of the Mason Dixon line, but it definitely is not in the Southern part of the United States. So, a Northern school was included in the original set-up.

drinking.gif

Ahso, Maryland isn't just "considered" to be south of the Mason-Dixon line, it is south of it.

I must say that this discussion is about as silly as they get. What conceivable difference does it make what the conference is called?

I completely agree with ahsoisee, its all about distance to the "Atlantic Coast". The name specifically says "Atlantic Coast" so therefore that is what is most important. With this in mind I can't understand why these obvious good candidates aren't included:

* Oxford (less than 100 miles from the Atlantic Coast - great academics to boot!)
* Technical University of Lisbon (the ACC would then have Euro nerds to go with the American version at GT)
* University Federal do Rio de Janeiro (besides the kick-axe football, think of the women---whoa)

Careful Kirbee, you're way over on the other side of that limb you are sawing on.

grin.gif

Back