It's Miami and Virginia Tech!!!!

Re: It\'s Miami and Virginia Tech!!!!

The Macon Telegraph suggested that the 12th team would probably be Notre Dame.
This would be consonant with an article I read in the New York Post last week that Swofford's plan was to have an original twelve teams {at that time he was including BC and Syracuse} and come back with two teams to make it a fourteen{VT and ND} team conference. There was two writers for this article and they said they had it on good authority that ND was very interested
because ND was a realist and they know that after all the super-conferences are in place that they will bolt the NCAA and form an orginization of their own. These writers said that Notre Dame was aware that the Big Ten has said publicly that they will never invite ND again so with the landscape changing they are afraid they will be left out in the cold. It could still be Swoffords intention to go to a 14team conference and come back for BC and Syracuse as well as Notre Dame.
Duke and NC are not nearly so relevant now and further expansion should go over much more smoothly.

Ahso, I agree with you that we knew Miami was in and we knew VT had to be invited or we wouldn't get a 7th "yes" vote from Virginia. Now, is the time when Syracuse and BC make their bids why they should be in.

Well, Syracuse doesn't really want to, BC wants it badly. To me, it's a no-brainer. Invite the Eagles and leave the Orange.

Somebody explain to me how Notre Dame fits in geographically as an Atlantic Coast Conference school. Last time I checked, Indiana is west of Ohio. Boston College got screwed royally. This whole ACC expansion deal has been an embarrassment to the ACC. Screw Kryshefski and the UNC Whiners!! And since when does the governor of a state dictate to a conference? This whole process has been nauseating, but we will have to hang on, cause it ain't over yet.

Fatjacket, first, Notre Dame is my least liked team of every football team in all divisions of football.

Next, you are right on the money. They belong in one of the midwest leagues and should not even be considered for The Atlantic Coast Conference. We have other teams on the Atlantic Seaboard much more worthy to belong than Notre Dame.

Why should they be bailed out from the midwest to the East Coast because the Big Ten will not have them? It is rediculous for them to become part of the ACC.

Let them get with Louisville and other teams from that region and form a conference, if need be.

drinking.gif

Remember I said in a post earlier this week - I thought BC would be dumped on. The intangibles were all there for the school most wanting to join us getting the shaft.

I have lost faith in this conference.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
As pointed out by Goldtimer on the Hive, it now takes 3 schools to block expansion.

Uncle Duke and Aunt Unice have lost their clout.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The 3rd vote is a moot point now. Is VT going to vote themselves out in order to allow an ACC caliber school in? I don't think so.

The only thing I've learned out of this process is if you don't get what you want, then use blackmail and frivolous lawsuits.

Originally posted by ContactBuzz:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
As pointed out by Goldtimer on the Hive, it now takes 3 schools to block expansion.

Uncle Duke and Aunt Unice have lost their clout.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The 3rd vote is a moot point now. Is VT going to vote themselves out in order to allow an ACC caliber school in? I don't think so.

The only thing I've learned out of this process is if you don't get what you want, then use blackmail and frivolous lawsuits.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">contactbuzz,

Voting on the 12th team and other issues going forward in the ACC.

Boy, I didn't realize that there's such a serious push to get ND into the ACC. Just my opinion, but its a bad fit. ND should be left out in the cold just as it deserves. They had their shot to join a conference. The BE is a joke to have allowed them to remain a football independent.

If they join a conference, I'd like to see them in the weakened Big Least. Who wants to deal with them?
puke.gif

It's Miami and Virginia Tech!!!!
That's music to my ears!!! This is the way it should have been from the start.

The ACC was formed 50 years ago with schools from the old Southern Conference. She's always been a southern league. Respect tradition and keep the ACC south of the Mason-Dixon line.

The 12th member of the ACC that makes the most sense is WV. Geographically and football-wise, IMHO.

Note: Syracuse & BC belong in the Big East. ND belongs in the Big East, too(if it can't get into the Big 10). Penn State, Navy & Temple should be members of the Big East, and are suitable replacements for the departing schools.
drinking.gif

Ahsoisee, not. What does what you just printed have anything to do with conference make up? So do you want to kick someone out and put in UMd-eastern shore U because they are closer MILEAGE wise to the ocean. My word son even I have not had such ------ thoughts.

Texstinger, it has plenty to do with your post. You stated Virginia Tech was more suited for the ACC than Boston College. That is not true.

The ACC is "Atlantic Coast" Conference. You cannot get more Atlantic Coast than Boston College. It is situated right on the Atlantic Coast.

Virginia Tech is the farthest team in the league from the Atlantic Coast. So, Boston College deserves to be an Atlantic Coast Conference member more than any other team in the present ACC.

Virginia Tech is in the Appalachian Mountain Range. It is not an Atlantic Coast team in the same category with Boston College.

Syracuse is closer to the Atlantic Coast than Virginia Tech.

Now, you have gotten ridiculous by mentioning removing a present member and adding UMD-Eastern Shore. I don't believe I have mentioned removing anyone.

It is obvious your statement that a mountainous Virginia Tech team is more qualified to be added than an Atlantic Coastal Boston College to an Atlantic Coast Conference is not a valid statement.

rolleyes.gif

ahosisee, IMO that's a silly argument. The ACC was originally a MD, VA, NC and SC conference. That's what they meant by Atlantic Coast. They couldn't call it the Southern because that was taken. Va Tech, being in VA is a perfect fit geographically for the ACC. Worrying about how many miles it is to the ocean has nothing to do with anything. The ACC expanded to GA and FL, so schools in either of those two states are now in the "traditional" ACC area. Just take a look at the logo if it's still not clear.

NCJacket, my argument is completely valid. It is still the Atlantic Coast Conference, and Boston College is more of a qualified candidate for it than VT. Again, VT is a mountainous area as opposed to the coastal area.

I did not argue that VT should not be admitted over Boston College if that is what the league wants. My argument was with Texstinger, who said, "VT is in ACC country" and Boston College and Syracuse are not.

Is Miami more in ACC country than Syracuse or Boston College? He also states he would like to have UCF in the ACC. Is UCF more in the ACC country than Boston College and Syracuse? My argument is very valid.

Texstinger did not like Boston College and Syracuse because he considers them to be Yankees. He stated this in another post.

I guess we should remove Maryland from the conference. He mentions competition. Then we should remove Duke from the conference. He has no valid argument other than he personally likes VT better than Boston College or Syracuse.

That is his preference and is fine, but his preference does not make his statements valid.

drinking.gif

Good grief, Ahsoisee; it's only a name.

Let's pick a new one when this is all over.

Hmmmmmm,how about the Eastern Time Zone Conference?

How about the East of the Big Muddy Conference?

Here's one Bellyseries and I would appreciate, the Albions Seed Fell Here Conference?

71, fine! Does that have anything to do with the fact Syracuse and Boston College are not ACC country, but UCF and Miami are ACC country, Eastern Time Zone Country, or East of the Big Muddy Conference?

You missed the point. Why was he trying to exclude Boston College and Syracuse by saying VT is ACC country, and then mentioning UCF coming into the league, and already wanting Miami in the league. You have missed the point of his statements.

His statements were to the effect of giving a reason to exclude BC and SU without the reason being valid.

drinking.gif

I'd really like to see some facts about the tv market that Syracuse and BC bring.

I talk to alot of people, alot of them sports fans in my travels at work, and most are pro fans, not college. I doubt seriously you would see alot of the homes in New York and Mass. locked down on Saturday afternoons with people awaiting the big BC-Wake Forest or Syracuse-Duke matchup. I can hardly get an intelligent conversation going about college football, much less one with those teams in it.

Get up north guys, and it's just not the same.

Almost all Penn State folks tell me the worst thing that ever happened was joining the Big Ten. No one is close, and they lost their rivalries with Pitt and West Virginia. Those long distance rivalries are sometimes interesting, like Notre Dame-Southern Cal, but carry no intensity or fan appeal like those in your backyard.

VTech is a great addition to the ACC. If Miami doesn't come it is their loss.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
I'd really like to see some facts about the tv market that Syracuse and BC bring.

I talk to alot of people, alot of them sports fans in my travels at work, and most are pro fans, not college. I doubt seriously you would see alot of the homes in New York and Mass. locked down on Saturday afternoons with people awaiting the big BC-Wake Forest or Syracuse-Duke matchup. I can hardly get an intelligent conversation going about college football, much less one with those teams in it.

Get up north guys, and it's just not the same.

Almost all Penn State folks tell me the worst thing that ever happened was joining the Big Ten. No one is close, and they lost their rivalries with Pitt and West Virginia. Those long distance rivalries are sometimes interesting, like Notre Dame-Southern Cal, but carry no intensity or fan appeal like those in your backyard.

VTech is a great addition to the ACC. If Miami doesn't come it is their loss.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My son, a big Tech fan, lives in Rhode Island (married a Yankee) and says the same thing. He says the ACC dodged a big bullet when they dropped BC.

Hadn't really looked at it that way......Makes a lot of sense!

Originally posted by ncjacket:
ahosisee, IMO that's a silly argument. The ACC was originally a MD, VA, NC and SC conference. That's what they meant by Atlantic Coast. They couldn't call it the Southern because that was taken. Va Tech, being in VA is a perfect fit geographically for the ACC. Worrying about how many miles it is to the ocean has nothing to do with anything. The ACC expanded to GA and FL, so schools in either of those two states are now in the "traditional" ACC area. Just take a look at the logo if it's still not clear.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Here's the ACC logo:

acc.gif

All states in the ACC are south of the Mason-Dixon.

Back