"It's not a University"

Holy shit, why is this so difficult for some people? The word University does not appear in the name of the university, but it's still a university. Just like the Cheetah Lounge is a titty bar even thought the words "Titty Bar" do not appear in the formal title. What idiot out there is still struggling with this? This should not be complicated. Sheesh.

I love this crap. Some hotshot came up with the name University to distinguish his school from a College.

Same things as going from asylum to mental health facility.

Same thing as going from a hospital to a regional medical center.

Marketing BS. Adds no value.

I love this crap. Some hotshot came up with the name University to distinguish his school from a College.

Same things as going from asylum to mental health facility.

Same thing as going from a hospital to a regional medical center.

Marketing BS. Adds no value.

Not really. You have to meet special criteria to be a university rather than just a college. I think it varies from state to state what the criteria are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_system_of_georgia

On another note, I find it really annoying when foreigners refer to "going to university" vs. "going to college".

Carry on.

Not really. You have to meet special criteria to be a university rather than just a college. I think it varies from state to state what the criteria are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_system_of_georgia

Lots of "colleges" in your list of "university system" of Georgia.

Actually colleges are the degree conferring bodies within the university, but its still all semantics to me.

Remember that Georgia Tech was the Georgia School of Technology until about 1948, when they split up into different schools or colleges and wanted a more bodacious name, but probably just copied MIT.

Heres what wiki says

College (Latin: collegium) is a term most often used today in the United States to denote a degree-awarding tertiary educational institution and in other English-speaking countries to refer to an academically oriented secondary school. More broadly, it can be the name of any group of colleagues, for example, an electoral college, a College of Arms or the College of Cardinals. Originally, it meant a group of persons living together, under a common set of rules (con- = "together" + leg- = "law" or lego = "I choose"); indeed, some colleges call their members "fellows". The precise usage of the term varies among the English-speaking countries. In the United States and Ireland, for example, the terms "college" and "university" may be regarded as loosely interchangeable, whereas in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and other Commonwealth countries, a "college" is usually an institution between school and university level (although constituent schools within universities are sometimes known as "colleges").

Lots of "colleges" in your list of "university system" of Georgia.

Actually colleges are the degree conferring bodies within the university, but its still all semantics to me.

Remember that Georgia Tech was the Georgia School of Technology until about 1948, when they split up into different schools or colleges and wanted a more bodacious name, but probably just copied MIT.

Well, the USG classifies institutions of higher learning other than universities. The point is that within each state, in order to refer to yourself as a university, you have to meet certain academic requirements. Even if colloquial use of the terms may be interchangeable, someone who goes to Georgia Perimeter College cannot really say, "Yes, I go to a university." Whereas someone who goes to U[sic]GA or GT can, because these institutions meet the requirements laid down by the USG.

Regardless of how the terms came into existence or how they were historically used, the majority of(all?) states now have concrete rules for defining an institution of higher learning as a "University." This factors in not only to their prestige but I'm sure what type of tax money is available to them.

Holy shit, why is this so difficult for some people? The word University does not appear in the name of the university, but it's still a university. Just like the Cheetah Lounge is a titty bar even thought the words "Titty Bar" do not appear in the formal title. What idiot out there is still struggling with this? This should not be complicated. Sheesh.

Got it. It was the elegant, unambiguous and touchingly poignant analogy to "titty bar" that cleared it up for this reader.

love,
ArchiTECH

What's the "requirement"?

Hell if I know. Wiki says:

For example, there is no nationally standardized definition of the term in the United States although the term has traditionally been used to designate research institutions and was once reserved for research doctorate-granting institutions.[16] Some states, such as Massachusetts, will only grant a school "university status" if it grants at least two doctoral degrees.[17]

I'm sure you could look up Georgia's somewhere.

Got it. It was the elegant, unambiguous and touchingly poignant analogy to "titty bar" that cleared it up for this reader.

love,
ArchiTECH
But you're gay, so how again can you understand when it's put in relation to a titty bar?

On another note, I find it really annoying when foreigners refer to "going to university" vs. "going to college".

Carry on.

That would be the rest of the world outside the U.S.

Not sure why you find differences in terminology outside the U.S. "annoying" unless you expect everyone else to conform.

FWIW, most of the world finds it annoying when Americans use the term "soccer" instead of "football."

It is a university. It is not "the University". When a definite article is used, it must be "the Institute". However, it is "a research university", "a top-ten public university", etc. Unfortunately, there are extremists on both sides who do not understand this.

He used it correctly in the exchange. Acceptable informal references for Georgia Tech are "the school", "the institute," or "the university" (with a small "u"). He didn't call it "Georgia Tech University".

He used it correctly in the exchange. Acceptable informal references for Georgia Tech are "the school", "the institute," or "the university" (with a small "u"). He didn't call it "Georgia Tech University".

My CFA Bowl program has a map of the area around the Dome.

It lists GT as Georgia Tech University

Communications and Marketing will tolerate the media writing "the university". However find an official Institute publication that refers to it as "the university" and I'll be shocked.

first paragraph, main page "about Tech" at www.gatech.edu

The Georgia Institute of Technology is one of the nation's top research universities, distinguished by its commitment to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology.

Georgia Tech's campus occupies 400 acres in the heart of the city of Atlanta, where 20,000 undergraduate and graduate students receive a focused, technologically based education.

Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), the Institute offers many nationally recognized, top-ranked programs. Undergraduate and graduate degrees are offered in the Colleges of Architecture, Engineering, Sciences, Computing, Management, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts. Georgia Tech is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's top ten public universities in the United States.

Carry on.

In the British system, college and university are two different things.

You go to school until the equivalent of 10th grade. Then you take O-level exams (think of them as AP-light). Based on those scores, you get into a College, which is 2 years (basically 11th and 12th grade). At the end of college, you take the A-level exams (think of AP exams).

At this time, you can leave education (basically as a high school diploma recipient) or you can apply to universities based on your A-level scores. Then you attend the University for four years.

tl;dr version:

in most of the world:
College = US High School
University = US College/University/Institute

Communications and Marketing will tolerate the media writing "the university". However find an official Institute publication that refers to it as "the university" and I'll be shocked.

Tech always refers to itself as an Institute, but it's legal classification by the state is as a Research University (other schools sharing this classification are GSU, UGAg, and the Medical College of Georgia).

How long til kickoff?

are-we-there-yet.jpg

Back