"Jackets no better in their 11th game than in their 1st"

I find it ironic that this journalist would make these observations. I made the same statement to my younger son as we were watching the Virginia game plus I added that Reggie didn't seem to have nearly as much poise and moxey as he did earlier in the season when he looked so cool against the likes of Auburn and FSU.

I think two of the reasons for Reggie's problems is first, the coaching staff doesn't seem to be getting their message across to the kid in a way to inspire confidence in him. Both Shawn Jones and Little Joe got progressively better under Fridge. Secondly, our offensive line is just not getting the job done in their pass protection. The O line does a better job of run blocking however. We have a heap of problems and i'm not sure who if anyone has the answers.

Well, I'm not putting this one on the coaches. I'll blame J.P. Foschi's 2 drops (both of which would have been first downs) and Jonathan Smith's drop of a ball when he was WIDE open on 3rd down (& also, consequently, would have been a first down). I'll also put this one on the right side of the line. I just rewatched the game last night and I counted 27 (TWENTY SEVEN!) times that both our right guard and tackle were beaten on plays. I don't expect Houdini to get away from that kind of a pass rush and complete passes, let alone Reggie.

Am I happy we lost? HELL NO! Do I think we were beaten by a team with more talent? Unfortunately, I believe that to be the case.

Simple facts.
1. When Virginia needed to make plays all day long, they made them. Matt Schaub was writing out his Christmas cards he had so long back there to throw the football.
2. Our defense has looked atrocious in all 3 of our last games. The announcers were praising our defense for stopping them in the red zone and forcing them to kick 5 FGs, but the fact of the matter is that we only made them punt 2 times on Saturday. Let's try stopping a team BEFORE they get to the red zone.
3. Our tackling was bad, but Virginia just had more DESIRE than we had on Saturday. I thought our kids played hard, but they just didn't make the plays when we needed them. And you can't blame that all on coaching.

Back