Jamal Camp Reports...

18in32

Petard Hoister
Thanks for this link. I thought two tidbits in the article deserved new thread mention. Jamal Camp (a South Forsyth defensive tackle who has been committed for months and took his official visit this weekend) has the following to report after meeting CGC this weekend...

Jamal Camp said:
[CGC] said he will be coaching a defensive position while being head coach.

So CGC isn't going to be DC, but he is going to be coaching a position group? Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't that pretty unusual...?

Jamal Camp said:
[CGC] said... we will see after the bowl game how everything lines up for [the] staff.

I'm a little surprised CGC's not planning to finalize the staff until after the bowl game. Anybody got thoughts on what that means?

I'm a little surprised CGC's not planning to finalize the staff until after the bowl game. Anybody got thoughts on what that means?

Have any of his assistants been announced yet, as in beyond rumors on here and elsewhere? His Temple assistants will be coaching in their bowl game, so he might feel it's best to wait until they've played to announce any of them who plan to join him here. And maybe one of them gets an interview for the Temple job?

If there are legs to the Godsey rumors, the NFL regular season ends Dec. 30.

Have any of his assistants been announced yet, as in beyond rumors on here and elsewhere? His Temple assistants will be coaching in their bowl game, so he might feel it's best to wait until they've played to announce any of them who plan to join him here. And maybe one of them gets an interview for the Temple job?

If there are legs to the Godsey rumors, the NFL regular season ends Dec. 30.
I don't think any thing has been officially announced... thought @thwg has been pretty money of late.

I'm surprised he would need to wait for the season to end to make a public announcement. Except for the CFP teams, missing the bowl game is not a huge deal – and even the CFP teams regularly lose coordinators mid-December.

EDIT: Maybe it has something to do with the guys currently on staff for GT... though my suspicion is that he's not going to keep very many of them. While he's been respectful of CPJ he's not exactly given any indication that he plans to continue anything CPJ has done. He's the anti-CPJ in pretty much every way.

I don't think any thing has been officially announced... thought @thwg has been pretty money of late.

I'm surprised he would need to wait for the season to end to make a public announcement. Except for the CFP teams, missing the bowl game is not a huge deal – and even the CFP teams regularly lose coordinators mid-December.

EDIT: Maybe it has something to do with the guys currently on staff for GT... though my suspicion is that he's not going to keep very many of them. While he's been respectful of CPJ he's not exactly given any indication that he plans to continue anything CPJ has done. He's the anti-CPJ in pretty much every way.

He said in the press conference that he wanted all his assistants to coach in the bowl game. I'm just speculating, but it might be a weird situation for one or more of those guys to coach in the bowl game if it's already been announced that they're following the old coach to his new destination.

Thanks for this link. I thought two tidbits in the article deserved new thread mention. Jamal Camp (a South Forsyth defensive tackle who has been committed for months and took his official visit this weekend) has the following to report after meeting CGC this weekend...

So CGC isn't going to be DC, but he is going to be coaching a position group? Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't that pretty unusual...?

Saban does this group / head coaching thing, and I think a bunch of guys from his tree also do it. I don't think it's as unusual as you think, but I dont have numbers.

Saban does this group / head coaching thing, and I think a bunch of guys from his tree also do it. I don't think it's as unusual as you think, but I dont have numbers.
This. Some offensive minded head coaches will coach offensive groups as well. Also, kudos @ThisIsAtlanta for the thanos snap killing off half of the board. It will bring balance....and maybe juice up CGC.

Huh I didn’t know that. I wonder which group he coaches.

Could it have something to do with the number of coaches on staff at any given time, and the fact that we've retained the entirety of CPJ's staff through the bowl? I'm just not familiar enough with the NCAA rules to know if its a problem to have the old staff plus the new staff hiree at the same time.

He covered a lot of this in his press conference. A few notes that I recall off the top of my head:

- He felt it was important for the kids he recruited and coached at Temple to not take away all their staff before the bowl game.
- A number of current Temple assistants will likely join him in Atlanta, but there is plenty of time for this.
- He's basically just going to recruit for a few days because the dead period starts very soon (I want to say he said 12/12 but that's Wednesday so might be wrong).
- From a coaching perspective, CPJ and his staff still coaching the team, he's really just an observer until CPJ is done.
- One of the benefits of having been head coach before, is having learned how to assemble a staff. He has a good idea of what he wants to do, his phone is blowing up with people interested in working here, he'll take his time to assemble the right team.

Collins is going to be coaching defensive backs.
He is bringing Hixson from Temple to coach WRs.
He is also bringing the young 29 year old to coach linebackers. Guy from Augusta. Forget his name right now. I think those are the only two coming from Temple as of now.

Could change after Temple names a coach and some of those guys are unemployed. He is basically recruiting 24/7 right now but also texting and speaking to prospective hires every hour. Every single person he is considering is still coaching except for Liam Klein whose season just ended.

Collins is going to be coaching defensive backs.
He is bringing Hixson from Temple to coach WRs.
He is also bringing the young 29 year old to coach linebackers. Guy from Augusta. Forget his name right now. I think those are the only two coming from Temple as of now.

Could change after Temple names a coach and some of those guys are unemployed. He is basically recruiting 24/7 right now but also texting and speaking to prospective hires every hour. Every single person he is considering is still coaching except for Liam Klein whose season just ended.
Larry Knight. Nathan Burton, his DBs coach is also a Tech alum.

I did a bit of researching and it looks like Collins is a 4-3 guy. Nate Woody runs a 3-4, but it is not a classic 3-4, which makes me wonder if Collins will also look to replace Woody since the stated goal is to run an NFL style defense.

I would do a near complete overhaul myself. The defense has not played well from a positional perspective for years and the offensive system will be completely different.

He may keep one or two for recruiting and to help with continuity, but I can’t think of any off hand that fit the bill.

I did a bit of researching and it looks like Collins is a 4-3 guy. Nate Woody runs a 3-4, but it is not a classic 3-4, which makes me wonder if Collins will also look to replace Woody since the stated goal is to run an NFL style defense.

I do not think Woody is being considered as DC. The only one he is considering keeping from GT I believe is AM. I assume he and Andy are speaking often about recruits but that is an assumption on my part.

Last edited:

Yes. I believe he might be lenient on offense but he's a defensive guy. He will bring his own system. Somebody should start a thread on how our coaches are feeling.

Could it have something to do with the number of coaches on staff at any given time, and the fact that we've retained the entirety of CPJ's staff through the bowl? I'm just not familiar enough with the NCAA rules to know if its a problem to have the old staff plus the new staff hiree at the same time.
If that's the case, it would be yet another interesting example of the NCAA prioritizing the letter of the law over its spirit of the law.

Back