Jaybo at Ga Southern

First - GT and GSU have a dual engineering program. You can get a Tech degree and never step foot on GT's campus.

Second - GSU used to be Ga Teacher's College.

Third - They have one of the best Education program's in the state, some say better than UGA.

Fourth - Great article last week in MT about the lack of speed Monken is inheriting compared to when he came in 97.

5th - Van Gorder and Hatcher left the cubbard about bare.

And your assertion is you can't teach HS with a Tech degree?

My guess is there are way more high school teachers that went to GSU than those who went to GT. Does GT have an Education degree? What's your point?

Both of my roommates at GSU run school systems in two large cities. They've done quite well with their teaching degrees.

My guess is there are way more high school teachers that went to GSU than those who went to GT. Does GT have an Education degree? What's your point?

Both of my roommates at GSU run school systems in two large cities. They've done quite well with their teaching degrees.

My point is you don't transfer because you want to teach. A person can teach just as easily with a Tech degree as they can with a GSU one.

Jaybo transferred because of playing time (which is fine by me).

Have friends down there. Alumni really looking forward to the future with Monken. There were a bunch of disgruntled players that didn't want to run the TO. Monken told them to either show up to practice or don't show up at all. Doesn't bother him one way or the other. He only has about 6 returning starters. A rebuilding program if I ever saw one.

GS is blessed to have Jaybo this year. As we all know the QB is the center of everything in this offense. He will provide some stability to the young team while they learn the system. Monken did a great job with his hiring assistants. His OC, Brent Davis, was the HC at VMI the last few years and a position coach (B-backs) at GS under PJ. Davis took the option to VMI and had much success. Between Monken and Davis they should have a few wrinkles to occasionally offset aggressive defenses.

It looks like their defense is athletic and talented. Their DC, Brent Pry, brings much defensive knowledge, schemes, attitude, and energy to the defense. As a fan of GS hopefully the defense will help carry them this season. :fingersx:

You want to earn $32,000 out the gate teaching kids with probation officers waiting outside the door and parents who think Little Johnny is the Messiah, then have at it.
You certainly could teach with a degree from Tech — after you pass your teacher certification and take some education courses. Since Southern has a College of Education (and a very good one), their grads can go right on into the pipeline. But it's not as if anyone is hiring teachers these days, either.
One of my brothers has a degree from Tech. He thought about teaching after a career change. It would have necessitated him going back to school in order to become a teacher.

BTW, Brent was only interim at VMI until they brought in somebody else — Sparky Woods. He was OC at VMI but was never head coach during the season.

You want to earn $32,000 out the gate teaching kids with probation officers waiting outside the door and parents who think Little Johnny is the Messiah, then have at it.
You certainly could teach with a degree from Tech — after you pass your teacher certification and take some education courses. Since Southern has a College of Education (and a very good one), their grads can go right on into the pipeline. But it's not as if anyone is hiring teachers these days, either.
One of my brothers has a degree from Tech. He thought about teaching after a career change. It would have necessitated him going back to school in order to become a teacher.

BTW, Brent was only interim at VMI until they brought in somebody else — Sparky Woods. He was OC at VMI but was never head coach during the season.

You must live in the hood or something. I don't exactly live in an affluent area and the teachers here certainly do better than that.

And your assertion is you can't teach HS with a Tech degree?

No. You can't. Maybe you can get your undergrad at GT, then go somewhere else, but you can't teach in a Georgia high school with only degrees from Tech.

You need to go somewhere with an education major and take the GACE (Georgia Teachers Certificate Exam) to teach in high school. GT doesn't offer that, which is why I didn't even try to go there.

Now, I'm not sure about teaching in college. You may be able to major and get your PhD and teach based on that, but even still I think you have to have some sort of education classes.

You must live in the hood or something. I don't exactly live in an affluent area and the teachers here certainly do better than that.

$32K to start is about average. My friends in teaching do better than that, but they've been doing it a while and also have added degrees to their original resume (earned, that is, not in the O'Leary fashion).
And the parents thinking their angel is the smartest, bestest, most wonderfulest creation ever so all F's and D's on his report card are certainly not his doing are omnipresent.

Thanks for the 411. I'd been wondering how Jaybo was doing. I'll try and remember to track and hope he does well.

No. You can't. Maybe you can get your undergrad at GT, then go somewhere else, but you can't teach in a Georgia high school with only degrees from Tech.

You need to go somewhere with an education major and take the GACE (Georgia Teachers Certificate Exam) to teach in high school. GT doesn't offer that, which is why I didn't even try to go there.

Now, I'm not sure about teaching in college. You may be able to major and get your PhD and teach based on that, but even still I think you have to have some sort of education classes.

You're 100% wrong. I have friends currently teaching high school in GA with Tech degrees.

Back