Jerrard Tarrant to the League

It freaks them out, because they are used to reading czar with that avatar. It's nothing about you.

For any posters suspecting Tarrant, he did get an evaluation of 4th round or later from NFL for this draft, so chances are he will get drafted 5-7th. Claytor got back an evaluation of 5th-7th round. I think their decisions are good business decisions, because they could have had less playing time next year and get worse evaluations. It's a good time to try the draft, since they have few credit hours left to graduate anyway.

Are the evaluations made by the folks who will actually do the drafting or is it like Rivals telling us how good they think a high school player is? I'll bet that neither Claytor or Tarrant get drafted.

FWIW, everyone drafted got a contract according to the link below, and the minimum NFL base contract for 2011 is 480k:
http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?10264-2009-Draft-Signings

I should also add that even after getting drafted you need to survive till after the waivers (looks like about 50% chance from the above link) to get the 480k.

edit: If you are waived, chances are you can still make the practice squad for a minimum 88k pay, and maybe a 6-figure pay. This happened to Vance Walker with Falcons, got drafted in 7th round, waived, and then signed off practice squad when Falcons had injury.

Hell, I'd take a 480k salary coming out of my junior year at Tech, unless I thought for sure my stock would go up with another year in school, or I was having a fantastic time in college.

FWIW, everyone drafted got a contract according to the link below, and the minimum NFL base contract for 2011 is 480k:
http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?10264-2009-Draft-Signings

I should also add that even after getting drafted you need to survive till after the waivers (looks like about 50% chance from the above link) to get the 480k.

edit: If you are waived, chances are you can still make the practice squad for a minimum 88k pay, and maybe a 6-figure pay. This happened to Vance Walker with Falcons, got drafted in 7th round, waived, and then signed off practice squad when Falcons had injury.

How much longer do you think this can continue with TV networks not willing to pay as much on new contracts and advertisers less willing to shell out the big bucks to advertise?

How much longer do you think this can continue with TV networks not willing to pay as much on new contracts and advertisers less willing to shell out the big bucks to advertise?
That's mainly a complaint with the top picks. Just the money from one of the top picks can pretty much pay for the whole cost of a round of players in 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th round. It's more of a problem with first few rounds, because a lot of the money is guaranteed in first few rounds.

Hell, I'd take a 480k salary coming out of my junior year at Tech, unless I thought for sure my stock would go up with another year in school, or I was having a fantastic time in college.

I tend to agree. There is a lot of uncertainty in making the decision. A first round pick can be sure of some financial security for life, regardless of what happens down the road. For a middle rounder who is unlikely to move up with another year of college, maybe it's better to get an agent and start competing professionally. Fighting for a spot on a pro roster might be tougher than being a college student with guaranteed playing time, though. The big mistake would be thinking that life is going to be easy after college.

RW, why do you think the networks will not pay as much for the NFL? I can see them not paying as much for MLB or NBA or college basketball, but NFL has still got incredible ratings.

Are the evaluations made by the folks who will actually do the drafting or is it like Rivals telling us how good they think a high school player is? I'll bet that neither Claytor or Tarrant get drafted.

I don't think Claytor gets drafted, but I bet he gets an invite/free agent contract somewhere. The guy is big and can get bigger.

I think Tarrant goes around 5-6 round. If we could get some (any) pressure next year, Tarrant would have had a lot of highlights and maybe move up a round or two.

RW, why do you think the networks will not pay as much for the NFL? I can see them not paying as much for MLB or NBA or college basketball, but NFL has still got incredible ratings.

Just a hunch. As part of the new normal, I think all the extravagant payouts are going to come under pressure. I thought I had read that many networks were losing their butts on their TV contracts, but can't say I know specifics.

edit: The threat of the lockout in the new CBA is all about cutting players portion of revenues. The players just want the status quo. The NFL will still get TV revenue even if they lockout the players and no games are played, so they have no incentive not play hardball with the players. That also demonstrates the incredible intelligence of the networks to cut a deal like that. If the lockout happens you will see all hell break loose next time networks come in to reup contracts. All this info from mmbt's link.

Last edited:
Back