Jimmy Dixon

CalBear

Varsity Lurker
A question for all of you Georgia Tech people -- what is the story on Jimmy Dixon? I attended Martin High School in Arlington, TX (class of '94), and I was really excited in '00 when I heard that our high school had produced the #2 RB prospect in the nation. I waited patiently through his redshirt year and was really expecting to see big things this season, but now I'm reading that he's been moved to FB? What's the rationale behind that? Is his talent being wasted in this position? Were there other factors involved?

Just curious. Thanks for any info.

-chris

There were some circumstances involved in this. Injuries in the summer preseason opened up a need at FB. The team really had a need. As it turned out Jimmy stepped in there and really found a home as coach puts it. Saw many practices, and was excited in what I saw. The thing that people have to keep in mind is that in this offense they ask a lot of the FB. We've run the ball well in our first two games, and Jimmy has been a big part of that. Read a post that someone stated that Hollings was making a lot of big runs on his own with his skills. That's some what true. On the play coach broke down on his TV show Dixon threw a big block that help spring Hollings. He's done it time and time again. He seems to excell with contact. He's got a quick step which helps at FB. They haven't opened up the offense yet, but when they do I think we'll see Jimmy with ball in his hands more running and catching out of the back field. In some game plans there will be two RB in split back field and single back sets as well where we could see Jimmy. Yes, he's at FB, but there is more to it than that.

Dixon has played well (blocking) in the fullback position these first two games. But it is mind-boggling that he has not been given a single carry or a single pass reception...really, a terrible waste. Why would we wait until a big game to test his running skills or his ability to hold on to the football. Why not get the butterflies out against Vandy or Uconn High???
Again...a terrible waste not using Dixon properly in these first two games.
pat.gif
pat.gif

Originally posted by beeware:
Dixon has played well (blocking) in the fullback position these first two games. But it is mind-boggling that he has not been given a single carry or a single pass reception...really, a terrible waste. Why would we wait until a big game to test his running skills or his ability to hold on to the football. Why not get the butterflies out against Vandy or Uconn High???
Again...a terrible waste not using Dixon properly in these first two games.
pat.gif
pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I have to agree with Beeware on this one... it was a terrible waste, but as it related to O'Leary and not Gailey.... O'Leary was wrong to put Dixon in the his dog house ... I am glad that Gailey is smart enough to at least get him on the field.... (instead of running Burns to death) ...

And CalBear... just FYI for you .. Beeware is really a wolf in sheeps clothing... (Really a Georgia Fan...) so .. dont pay any attention to his rants about Coach Gailey..

j-guy,
You are getting downright goofy now...apparently comes natural for you...or maybe I should give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are drunk?!?!
Not giving Dixon a single carry or single pass reception is just a mind-boggling oversite by Buck...has nothing to do with O'leary except that his excellent recruiting skills got a top running back from Texas to come to Tech.
You O'leary bashers (aka unappreciative pissants) should get down on your hands and knees and thank God that O'leary recruited so well to give Buck ALL this tremendous talent for this season....and let us hope against hope that Buck doesn't screw it up.

bash.gif
bash.gif

Beeware, FYI, Dixon caught a pass against Vandy. And, if Dixon is really so good that we're "wasting" him, then don't you think he would have gotten the ball more last year? There's got to be a reason for this, and it isn't because "Buck" is wasting his talents.

Now, if Dixon is good, then he'll get his carries and receptions, but I've seen Clinkscale line up at Fullback and get some carries and receptions. Why would the coaches do that? They must think Clinkscale is better in that situation.

The coaches are try to give us the best shot at winning and they know a little bit more about how the good the players really are than you or me.

Nutts,
Glad to hear that he caught a pass against Vandy.
I am not saying Dixon is good or not. He was conidered a stud coming out of high school, but has been held back primarily due to injuries up to this point. I am saying how will we know if he doesn't ever carry the ball and why would we wait until we play a major opponent to find out, since we just handed the ball up the middle most of the second half of both the Vandy and Uconn High games anyway?

confused.gif
confused.gif

Originally posted by beeware:
j-guy,
You are getting downright goofy now...apparently comes natural for you...or maybe I should give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are drunk?!?!
Not giving Dixon a single carry or single pass reception is just a mind-boggling oversite by Buck...has nothing to do with O'leary except that his excellent recruiting skills got a top running back from Texas to come to Tech.
You O'leary bashers (aka unappreciative pissants) should get down on your hands and knees and thank God that O'leary recruited so well to give Buck ALL this tremendous talent for this season....and let us hope against hope that Buck doesn't screw it up.

bash.gif
bash.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beeware ... how did you know I like to get drunk early in the AM... my secret is out...

Everything gets personal for you when it relates to GOL doesnt it...

I am glad that Dixon took that "talent pill" during the off season... this explains why he rode the pine so much last year....

Thanks for your goofy post.... and I am not O'Leary bashing... just stating facts, Dixon was in his dog house last year ... seems you think any unfavorable statement aimed at GOL makes a person an "unappreciative pissant" ... such emotion !!

Frankly, with Dixon getting reps with the first string in practice he should be getting solid chances to impress the coaches. When he was with the second and/or third strings it probably was hard to show his stuff facing our first string D.

If he gets some carries this week we were trying to 'hide' him from Clem. If he does not then that should tell you something besides Chan and O'Brien are secretly throwing this game by not playing our best players.
confused.gif

Calbear,

I thought your question was a good one. It's great you're following Jimmy since both of you came from the same HS.

I'm sorry you'd ask a serious question and this thread would turn into a name calling bashing contest. We have someone on the board that turns everything pretty much into nothing but negativity towards our coaching staff and personal flames. It's really sad. I'm sorry you came here with a serious question about Jimmy and had to witness this.

I think we'll see great things out of Jimmy Dixon.

jguy,
Dixon rode the pine last year partially due to injuries and partially because he was beaten out by better upper classmen...he was just a red-shirt freshmen last year.
This year he was going to be beaten out again by better upper classmen and he was moved to fullback to fill a need.
He has done a good job at fullback and became the starter due to his good play and also due to injuries of the other fullbacks.
To let your starting fullback play two games against very weak competition, and mainly run the ball up the middle for the entire second half against both teams, but fail to give your starting fullback a single carry in live action is a ridiculous oversite. It has nothing to do with showing anything to klimpsum...it is to let Dixon have real carries in a real game for his own benefit to grow as a player and benefit the team.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Beeware,

No coach in Division 1A college football would play someone only because he is an upperclassman, and his backup is a RS-Freshman. Coaches play the players who give them the best chance to win, regardless if it's an underclassman or a senior.

Quit making excuses. Makes me kind of sick to hear you whine on about this stuff.

Originally posted by BeerNutts:
Beeware,

No coach in Division 1A college football would play someone only because he is an upperclassman, and his backup is a RS-Freshman. Coaches play the players who give them the best chance to win, regardless if it's an underclassman or a senior.

Quit making excuses. Makes me kind of sick to hear you whine on about this stuff.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You really must be NUTTS...I said he was beaten out by an upper classmen....what did you not understand?
Your post makes no sense. I am simply asking the question on why we would let our starting fullback play two games and not get a single carry...especially since the games were blowouts and that Dixon has never had a carry from the fullback position in any game? I think it was an unnecessary oversite.

For whats its worth... in 2000 Ed Wilder had a total of 1 rushing attempt for 1 yard... and 2 catches for a total of 25 years... FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON... while playing in 11 games that year...

Beeware... I dont think Gailey was coaching Tech that season... so would you also agree that this was a "Braine Dead" decision on O'Leary's part?

j-guy,
Are you really an idiot or do you just play one on here???
Anyone who follows TECH football knows that Ed Wilder could barely walk...his knee was so bad.
They let him play because he wanted to play and was such a good blocker and pass receiver....they did not let him carry the ball to PROTECT HIS KNEES.
I suspect that you knew this; but have just decided to be an arsehole about it....that is fine with me...you seem to be pretty natural at it.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

None of this has anything to do with the fact that we have a brand new fullback going into a big game at klimpsum and we wasted two 'exhibition' games by not giving him a single carry.

Now Beeware... dont get your dander up... there you go with your personal insults again...

although I did like your last post... thanks for the laugh....

I enjoyed the above conversation. Rather entertaining.

However, I hope to see more of Dixon. Wilder was fun to watch at his healthy peak - and he's a great guy too. Dixon could probably do some of the same things. From what I remember seeing from him last year, he seems to be cut from the same mold as Charles Wiley and Joe Burns as opposed to a CJ Williams, Sidney Ford, or Tony Hollings. More of a run-you-over type back. I'm looking forward to having a FB with a TB background (agility). Maybe he could add 10 lbs of meat for next season.

BB,
Good points....now if we can just get someone to remember to give him the dang ball every now and then. He could really be a weapon.

bigthumbup.gif
bigthumbup.gif

Originally posted by BankerBuzz:
I enjoyed the above conversation. Rather entertaining.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Me too!
grin.gif

Back