Johnson to retire

As soon as we hire a spread/prostyle HC or OC, the 3option will return to prominence in CFB and in 2 years you guys will be crying about why we need to dump what we have for an option coach.

The bipolarness keeps this place as interesting as my ex-wife

Pretty much agree. We're in a great position right now, and I'd much rather us take our shot with guys who are proven at the college level, or even hot shot assistants, before resorting to the NFL. My defense of Whisenhunt is more about IF we aren't able to land a promising college coach. I'd be disappointed if we zeroed in on Whiz.

My biggest fears are that we either marry ourselves to the idea of a Tech alum or the TO. We should be going after the biggest names possible.
Whisenhunt played five different positions for Tech, if I remember correctly. He'd be a big time connection to the NFL. Like CHan or not, but he did bring in some players. Whisenhunt has had a far better career. I don't know if it is going to happen, but whining about potential coaching right now is foolish.

And let me add, "We should be going after the biggest names possible", suggests that you don't know Tech football very well. Guys like Whisenhunt could stay a long time, something very important. Up and comers will never; one way or the other they will leave within five years.

As soon as we hire a spread/prostyle HC or OC, the 3option will return to prominence in CFB and in 2 years you guys will be crying about why we need to dump what we have for an option coach.

I have a bold counter-prediction: the 3O will not return to prominence in CFB in 2 years.

Daring, I know. But there it is. Have at you.

Hope the next coach demands academic waivers from the get go. The hill had just started trusting paul with a few after graduating a ton of players.

Whisenhunt played five different positions for Tech, if I remember correctly. He'd be a big time connection to the NFL. Like CHan or not, but he did bring in some players. Whisenhunt has had a far better career. I don't know if it is going to happen, but whining about potential coaching right now is foolish.

And let me add, "We should be going after the biggest names possible", suggests that you don't know Tech football very well. Guys like Whisenhunt could stay a long time, something very important. Up and comers will never one way or the other within five years.

This post suggests you don't know this thread very well. I've been one of the only people even semi-defending Whisenhunt as a candidate.

Counter counter prediction: whatever we get, in 2 years it will be wrong

We almost made it through a post without misogyny

So do will still want to open up @Clemson next year with a new head coach/staff?

I have a feeling Rich Brooks (Kentucky) is the ceiling of Whisenhunt, but I also don't have much confidence that he'd be able to reach those heights given that he's never coached in college.

This post suggests you don't know this thread very well. I've been one of the only people even semi-defending Whisenhunt as a candidate.

"I'd be disappointed if we zero in on Whisenhunt", no matter how it is intended doesn't suggest you are defending Whisenhunt.

These NFL hires don't generally do well in college to begin with. Besides Gailey, there is Lovie Smith, Dave Wannstedt and Charlie Weis.

With USC keeping Helton and UNC being completely stupid hiring Mack Brown, this is the best possible situation to hire an HC. A successful G5 coach is infinitely better than an NFL retread, regardless of the reasons.
Might could be that I agree with you. The App State guy is intriguing...

We almost made it through a post without misogyny
If his ex-wife is actually bi-polar how is his statement misogynist Sir Blanco?

Unless YOU make the assumption that he is generalizing to all women the attribute of bi-polar disorder which only a complete moron and/or believer in the inferiority of women would do.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :lol:

EDIT: That's how I know Whisenhunt is in.

If his ex-wife is actually bi-polar how is his statement misogynist Sir Blanco?

If she suffers from a mental disorder, seems flippant and disrespectful to post about it on a sports message board to make fun of other posters

If she suffers from a mental disorder, seems flippant and disrespectful to post about it on a sports message board to make fun of other posters
In other words insensitive but not misogynist. Would you have called it misandry if a female poster claimed it about her ex-husband?

"I'd be disappointed if we zero in on Whisenhunt", no matter how it is intended doesn't suggest you are defending Whisenhunt.

I would be. I don't think ANY pro coach should be our primary option. Believe it or not, that viewpoint isn't incompatible with thinking he could be a good secondary option.

He wouldn't be my pick, but I think a lot of the Whisenhunt hate comes from irrationally associating him with Gailey, or dismissing his better years in Arizona as a result of Kurt Warner. Newsflash: You aren't going to be successful in the NFL without good QB play.

He has the Chargers offense playing pretty well right now.

No, it is due to his association with his high pompousness curry.

Back