Jordan Mason Update

When the quitter falls into the 2nd round of the draft, maybe there will be less of a Stingtalk lovefest over his "generational" talent and less frequently compared to true Tech greats like Calvin, Bay Bay, and Dwyer. Still being mocked in late 1st round though.

Mason has a chance to be something though. I've been watching him each week, and he is running with a head of steam every time he touches it. He clearly wants it and knows this is a big opportunity for him in Shanaplan's system. Many highly drafted RBs haven't cut it in his system (Sermon, Williams, and possibly the LSU 3rd rounder from last year). They just haven't been able to break tackles like the late rounders/UDFAs Breida, Mostert, Mitchell, and now hopefully Mason.
He's a running back... ofc he's gonna fall to the 2nd round.

BC Gibbs had better PA stats...
Yes by the end of the season our dumbass coach realized instead of not playing Mason at all he could use him in short yardage situations.

In addition Gibbs overuse led to his first of a few injuries during his time here.

Yes by the end of the season our dumbass coach realized instead of not playing Mason at all he could use him in short yardage situations.

In addition Gibbs overuse led to his first of a few injuries during his time here.
We used Gibbs and Mason about 60-40 split...

I’m not mad about choosing Gibbs over Mason. They are both good backs with different skillsets. But sitting one of your best offensive players for an unproductive TE was stupid. We should have been a two back set more often than not.

Not in 2020 until Gibbs got hurt or Mason got out of the doghouse or something I don’t know.
I guess I forgot Mason got hurt. In any event Gibbs/Mason was not very often 60/40. Mason would catch up on carries when Gibbs was hurt in the season. He was a very productive back for us and there was no reason for Gibbs to be shouldering the load like he was. It likely contributed to his transfer along with Choice’s departure.

Not in 2020 until Gibbs got hurt or Mason got out of the doghouse or something I don’t know.
Gibbs had 89 carries and 24 receptions. Mason had 82 carries and 8 receptions. That's 113 touches for Gibbs, and 90 for Mason. Mason was a factor 4/5 the time Gibbs was.

Gibbs had 89 carries and 24 receptions. Mason had 82 carries and 8 receptions. That's 113 touches for Gibbs, and 90 for Mason. Mason was a factor 4/5 the time Gibbs was.
50 of Masons Carrie’s came after Gibbs injury. While together he would get single digit touches.

Resulting in... a 60-40 split
I don’t think it was that high. Definitely not in snap count perspective. More like 70/30 which is not a good use of a strong experienced workhorse back like Mason you could
Complement Gibbs with. I don’t think I was alone in that opinion when it was happening. I don’t think anyone here was arguing that Gibbs was effective between the tackles. But it was obvious that coach’s golden boys had to play. You can think differently that’s fine. The numbers don’t bear out what you are saying unless Gibbs is hurt.

what if Hollings had made his way to the top of the HB depth chart prior to the 2001 season

Just made a helluva 50yd scamper to end the game. He will be a factor for SF in the postseason.

When the quitter falls into the 2nd round of the draft, maybe there will be less of a Stingtalk lovefest over his "generational" talent and less frequently compared to true Tech greats like Calvin, Bay Bay, and Dwyer. Still being mocked in late 1st round though.

Mason has a chance to be something though. I've been watching him each week, and he is running with a head of steam every time he touches it. He clearly wants it and knows this is a big opportunity for him in Shanaplan's system. Many highly drafted RBs haven't cut it in his system (Sermon, Williams, and possibly the LSU 3rd rounder from last year). They just haven't been able to break tackles like the late rounders/UDFAs Breida, Mostert, Mitchell, and now hopefully Mason.
If Derrick Henry fell to the second round, it is hard to see Gibbs going higher than that.

Back