Jordan Mason Update

from Athletic interview with 49ers GM John Lynch:

Mason was the best cutdown day story at running back and perhaps on the team. The undrafted rookie from Georgia Tech beat out a far more heralded player, former third-rounder Trey Sermon, for the fourth tailback spot. Lynch, who spoke in the morning, said the 49ers hoped Sermon would pass through waivers Thursday and then go on the 49ers’ practice squad. However, he was snapped up by the Eagles.

The difference between the two runners: Mason, in Lynch’s words, “runs our style” while Sermon was slower to adjust to the one-cut-and-go method the 49ers demand.

Peters credited area scout Warren Ball, whose job is to study the running backs in the draft. Four days before the draft, Ball sent a cut-up of clips of Mason that Peters and running backs coach Anthony Lynn watched together.

“We thought he was right up there with everybody,” Peters said. “Kudos to Warren for finding him, and obviously he’s been a great fit for us.”

Lynch said there were trade discussions involving Sermon during training camp.

“I can’t tell you how highly we think of the young man just how he’s handled the situation, the way he went to work and the way he handled it right down to the end,” he said.

That Sermon was beaten out by Mason is reminiscent of 2017 when undrafted Matt Breida was better than fourth-round pick Joe Williams. Like Sermon, Williams was cut a year after he was drafted.

“Some teams are very beholden to their draft choices ‚ they’re not going to move on from a draft choice,” Lynch said. “We’re not that team. We’re going to play the best player.”

Makes me think more and more that drafting RBs high is dumb. So much of what differentiates these guys is how good their OL is. You’ve got a couple truly elite guys up top. But after that the gap between the rest is just too small to justify wasting picks.

Would be interested in seeing an analysis on number of undrafted players on rosters by position. My guess would be that RB would be near the top.

Makes me think more and more that drafting RBs high is dumb. So much of what differentiates these guys is how good their OL is. You’ve got a couple truly elite guys up top. But after that the gap between the rest is just too small to justify wasting picks.

Would be interested in seeing an analysis on number of undrafted players on rosters by position. My guess would be that RB would be near the top.

I definitely wouldn't draft a RB high and was pissed with the Steelers took one in the 1st round last year. Most of these guys don't last long and the occurrence of serious injury is very high. Also, the success rate of RBs who get a big 2nd contract is very low. Is it worth $12-15 million a year for a RB who has likely peaked and will cost a lot during their decline? The answer has been no recently.

Draft a RB every year (mostly in the middle-to-late rounds) and never give one a 2nd contract. They just break down in the NFL around the time their rookie contract runs up. Also, plenty of UDFA RBs have found success in the NFL, whereas an UDFA QB being successful is almost unheard of.

A day one lineman and a day two RB will be more productive than a day one RB and a day two lineman over a span of 3 years.

A day one lineman and a day two RB will be more productive than a day one RB and a day two lineman over a span of 3 years.

Agree. And I’m not 100% sure that a day one OL + day 2 OL + udfa RB wouldn’t top both a decent amount of the time.

Draft a RB every year (mostly in the middle-to-late rounds) and never give one a 2nd contract. They just break down in the NFL around the time their rookie contract runs up. Also, plenty of UDFA RBs have found success in the NFL, whereas an UDFA QB being successful is almost unheard of.
Main ones I can think of are Kurt Warner, Warren Moon and Tony Romo.

Main ones I can think of are Kurt Warner, Warren Moon and Tony Romo.
Brian Hoyer is solid as well. Not in the same sentence as those guys but still 13 year career is plenty impressive. öööö anyone who gets the fully vested pension has had a successful career in my opinion

Mason had 5 for 25 last night. And now Elijah Mitchell is supposed to be out a few months. Our boy might literally be the backup to McCaffrey now.
I saw that. So happy for him. Hard work and determination are paying off.

When the quitter falls into the 2nd round of the draft, maybe there will be less of a Stingtalk lovefest over his "generational" talent and less frequently compared to true Tech greats like Calvin, Bay Bay, and Dwyer. Still being mocked in late 1st round though.

Mason has a chance to be something though. I've been watching him each week, and he is running with a head of steam every time he touches it. He clearly wants it and knows this is a big opportunity for him in Shanaplan's system. Many highly drafted RBs haven't cut it in his system (Sermon, Williams, and possibly the LSU 3rd rounder from last year). They just haven't been able to break tackles like the late rounders/UDFAs Breida, Mostert, Mitchell, and now hopefully Mason.

I mean if we kept Mason starting, y'all would've called for Choice's head
I don’t think anyone would’ve done that. Especially given the on field production. There was no reason we couldn’t start and play Mason a lot and have Gibbs be the change of pace type back he is.

I don’t think anyone would’ve done that. Especially given the on field production. There was no reason we couldn’t start and play Mason a lot and have Gibbs be the change of pace type back he is.
BC Gibbs had better PA stats...

Back