Jordan Mason Update

It must have been awesome playing for a coach that purposefully ran plays his best players on the OL were completely incapable of running.
I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm so a quick reply since, you know, I *have* to win the internets yo. Not suited for passing is way different than incapable of running. In fact, we had an NFL OL drafted (and still playing) under CPJ, Shaq Mason. To say Shaq is an aberration is an understatement though. He could be the shortest NFL OL by two inches at 6'1". His biggest pre-draft criticism? Lack of length.

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm so a quick reply since, you know, I *have* to win the internets yo. Not suited for passing is way different than incapable of running.
Yeah it was an edgy post, but the reality is we were well suited to run the ball & not as well suited to pass. Mason learned to pass block but it was after a lot of practice. That should have been a hint as he was a superior athlete. Our highly effective run blocking OL needed to gradually increase passing as they got proficient at pass blocking. Our passing 2019-2021 was as easy to predict as the running plays against Miss St in the Orange Bowl or that Syracuse game in 2013. Quick passes should have been a higher percentage of pass plays to reduce reliance/need for effective OL pass blocking until they started to master proper techniques. It's why we had so many false starts, trying to compensate for being weak pass blocking. Bottom line: we should have leveraged our players strengths and we did exactly the opposite for reasons that are nonsensical:

2019- OL strength certainly was running, QB was running by a long shot, definitely had an edge with Mason as RB with Oliver & Smith over our WR corps, WR had Brown as HR threat & Sanders and that was about it

2020- OL definitely did not look like we could pass block better than run block, QB was a hybrid passer/runner, we added Gibbs to an already stout RB corps of Mason & Smith, who were the WR's? Brown disappeared, we had a combo of him Carter, Sanders, Harris, Camp but no true threat

2021- OL basically unchanged from previous 2 years, QB no change, all 3 RBs a year older. I mean WTF, didn't anyone see these guys at practice. WRs had McGowan, Carter & Sanders

I don't think he'll make the Niners' 53 man roster. He looks to be fifth in a four RB team.

If the Niners cut him, any team can offer him a spot on their practice squad (or someone could offer him a spot on their 53 man roster). Sometimes a team will offer more than the standard practice squad minimum $$ if they really want a guy. If not . . . his best bet might be to stay with the Niners even with their loaded RB situation, as he is going to be much more familiar with their offense, coaches, etc. Either way, he could very likely just be one injury away from suiting up for someone on game days this year, which is awesome for an UDFA.

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm so a quick reply since, you know, I *have* to win the internets yo. Not suited for passing is way different than incapable of running. In fact, we had an NFL OL drafted (and still playing) under CPJ, Shaq Mason. To say Shaq is an aberration is an understatement though. He could be the shortest NFL OL by two inches at 6'1". His biggest pre-draft criticism? Lack of length.
Our G-C-G combos throughout CPJ’s tenure had more legitimate NFL talent than they were given the opportunity to show. I have theories as to why. Most of it revolves around the NFL industry being low intelligence.

Our G-C-G combos throughout CPJ’s tenure had more legitimate NFL talent than they were given the opportunity to show. I have theories as to why. Most of it revolves around the NFL industry being low intelligence.
Love this post.

They love to forget that every single team in the league passed on Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. at least five times. Hell, the Patsies didn't even take him with their fist pick in the sixth round, And the Brownies with the 183rd pick looked around at the available QBs, and selected something called a Spergon Wynn, I öööö you not, instead of Brady.

Hell, you don't need to go back 20 years, either. 2020. My kid's at Utah so I'm watching the Utes closely. I see this kid named Tyler Huntley at QB. 73% completion rate. 19 TDs vs. 4 picks. 177 passer rating. First Team All PAC-12 Conference QB. Former Gatorade High School Player of the Year in Florida , , , this just in: there is some serious high school football talent in Florida. He's mobile. A natural leader, too. And a winner. And for me . . . he passed the most important test of all: the eye test.

So April of 2020 rolls around . . . and Huntley wasn't drafted. Hell, he wasn't even invited to the NFL combine!!!

13 QBs were drafted in 2020, including . . . James Morgan of FIU. Cole McDonald of Hawaii. Nate Stanley of Iowa. Tommy Stevens of Miss St. And of course let's not forget Jake Fromm from Muttville. None of these five guys are even in the league in 2022. Meanwhile, Huntley is entrenched as the back up to Lamar Jackson at Baltimore, and in two halves of exhibition football this month he's completed 29 of 32 passes for 238 yards, two TDs and zero INTs. Some folks are saying that he might be the best backup in the league.

How did these player evaluation geniuses get it so very, very, wrong?

Come on guys, there's no conspiracy against GT or any misevaluation going on. If guys can play, they will make the league and if their tape and measurables are NFL level, they will get drafted. That doesnt mean drafted guys will always make it nor will undrafted guys not make it to the league. Guys are overlooked or overvalued all the time, and not just by NFL scouts. Look at how many misses we've had on player evaluations, for example. It's just the nature of the player evaluation game.

Come on guys, there's no conspiracy against GT or any misevaluation going on. If guys can play, they will make the league and if their tape and measurables are NFL level, they will get drafted. That doesnt mean drafted guys will always make it nor will undrafted guys not make it to the league. Guys are overlooked or overvalued all the time, and not just by NFL scouts. Look at how many misses we've had on player evaluations, for example. It's just the nature of the player evaluation game.
It’s not a conspiracy. But not having a large alumni or agent network hurts your chances of even getting a shot. There aren’t large amounts of former GT players who go into the NFL agent business. People don’t draft GT players because you don’t have to. GT players outperform their draft position with regularity.

Love this post.

They love to forget that every single team in the league passed on Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. at least five times. Hell, the Patsies didn't even take him with their fist pick in the sixth round, And the Brownies with the 183rd pick looked around at the available QBs, and selected something called a Spergon Wynn, I öööö you not, instead of Brady.

Hell, you don't need to go back 20 years, either. 2020. My kid's at Utah so I'm watching the Utes closely. I see this kid named Tyler Huntley at QB. 73% completion rate. 19 TDs vs. 4 picks. 177 passer rating. First Team All PAC-12 Conference QB. Former Gatorade High School Player of the Year in Florida , , , this just in: there is some serious high school football talent in Florida. He's mobile. A natural leader, too. And a winner. And for me . . . he passed the most important test of all: the eye test.

So April of 2020 rolls around . . . and Huntley wasn't drafted. Hell, he wasn't even invited to the NFL combine!!!

13 QBs were drafted in 2020, including . . . James Morgan of FIU. Cole McDonald of Hawaii. Nate Stanley of Iowa. Tommy Stevens of Miss St. And of course let's not forget Jake Fromm from Muttville. None of these five guys are even in the league in 2022. Meanwhile, Huntley is entrenched as the back up to Lamar Jackson at Baltimore, and in two halves of exhibition football this month he's completed 29 of 32 passes for 238 yards, two TDs and zero INTs. Some folks are saying that he might be the best backup in the league.

Huntley is very good but he isn't that good. He will get a chance for some team, I hope the Ravens trade him away and get a good draft pick next year.

But where is the Tech fan post realizing how good it is for guys like Mason to do well in the NFL? How it helps Tech football.

I don't think he'll make the Niners' 53 man roster. He looks to be fifth in a four RB team.

If the Niners cut him, any team can offer him a spot on their practice squad (or someone could offer him a spot on their 53 man roster). Sometimes a team will offer more than the standard practice squad minimum $$ if they really want a guy. If not . . . his best bet might be to stay with the Niners even with their loaded RB situation, as he is going to be much more familiar with their offense, coaches, etc. Either way, he could very likely just be one injury away from suiting up for someone on game days this year, which is awesome for an UDFA.

There's a chance but it's a long shot. Trey Sermon should be cut but it's hard to move on from a bust of a 3rd round pick one year later. That being said, Mason's best chance of showcasing his skill at this level is in Shanahan's scheme. Fingers crossed.

Huntley is very good but he isn't that good. He will get a chance for some team, I hope the Ravens trade him away and get a good draft pick next year.

But where is the Tech fan post realizing how good it is for guys like Mason to do well in the NFL? How it helps Tech football.
I made several posts here about Mason . . . and Nathan Cotrell, too, and I am happy for them and hope they continue to do well. McGowan, too! I root for all Tech almuni.

But I don't think it helps Tech football. Hasn't so far, anyway. Calvin Johnson was one of the greatest receivers in NFL history and a first ballot Hall of Famer. D. Thomas was another extremely good NFL receiver. None of that helped Tech football AFAICT (I mean, unless you think we would have less than 9 wins total the last three years except for their NFL success). Thus I haven't posted that.

I made several posts here about Mason . . . and Nathan Cotrell, too, and I am happy for them and hope they continue to do well. McGowan, too! I root for all Tech almuni.

But I don't think it helps Tech football. Hasn't so far, anyway. Calvin Johnson was one of the greatest receivers in NFL history and a first ballot Hall of Famer. D. Thomas was another extremely good NFL receiver. None of that helped Tech football AFAICT (I mean, unless you think we would have less than 9 wins total the last three years except for their NFL success). Thus I haven't posted that.

I get it. But kids want to get into the NFL and if they see Tech players getting there, they are naturally going to have more interest in us. It helps Tech to demonstrate 3 star recruits getting in the league at a higher rate than other school's 3 star recruits....or 4 star, etc.

Not so great numbers wise but had the same carries and outproduced the draft pick.

Back