Jordan Mason Update

Unfortunately, we didn’t have an adequate OL to utilize Mason and Gibbs to their full potential. It would have been even harder if defenses knew we were going to run 70 or 80% of the time, but without the option trickery. Blame everything on Collins and Patenude if it helps you relieve some anger, but it has not been a simple play selection or offensive scheme issue.

Unfortunately, we didn’t have an adequate OL to utilize Mason and Gibbs to their full potential. It would have been even harder if defenses knew we were going to run 70 or 80% of the time, but without the option trickery. Blame everything on Collins and Patenude if it helps you relieve some anger, but it has not been a simple play selection or offensive scheme issue.

The offensive scheme was definitely a contributor, if you can't see that then I can't help you. There were rumors that Pnope's scheme had a negative impact on the OL, we'll see if that was true this season. It is possible we had 2 NFL bound RB's on the 'cupboard was bare' roster last year. We'll see.

The offensive scheme was definitely a contributor, if you can't see that then I can't help you. There were rumors that Pnope's scheme had a negative impact on the OL, we'll see if that was true this season. It is possible we had 2 NFL bound RB's on the 'cupboard was bare' roster last year. We'll see.
I will be the first to eat crow if this ends up true as I have been one of the vocal "there's not much any coach (other than a TO guru) could do with the roster they inherited from CPJ" . One of my driving thoughts was just simply the OL wasn't designed for any type of passing offense which emphasizes length over girth. It's just hard to get your hands on a D1 DL in pass pro sets when you dont have the length and you cant coach that into them, just have to recruit for it. I assumed it would take some time to both recruit and develop what we needed on the OL. Skill position can get caught up in a hurry but not the OL. If I'm wrong about this I wont die on this hill and just say I was wrong.

I will be the first to eat crow if this ends up true as I have been one of the vocal "there's not much any coach (other than a TO guru) could do with the roster they inherited from CPJ" . One of my driving thoughts was just simply the OL wasn't designed for any type of passing offense which emphasizes length over girth. It's just hard to get your hands on a D1 DL in pass pro sets when you dont have the length and you cant coach that into them, just have to recruit for it. I assumed it would take some time to both recruit and develop what we needed on the OL. Skill position can get caught up in a hurry but not the OL. If I'm wrong about this I wont die on this hill and just say I was wrong.
I think we will see an improvement on the offense and it will likely be a combination of both things. I think the OC will be better, scheme better, play to our strengths better, and be able to adjust to what the defense is doing better. On the same token, I think our OL will be improved over years past. They do not have the game experience but I believe this group has a higher ceiling than what we have had before and I also believe we have more quality depth (assuming no major injuries this year). In years past, we were already on the ragged edge with the OL and one person going down in a game made it completely fold.

No one ever said the cupboard was bare at RB.

Overall the RBs were fine last year and by team standards they were A++.

Their issue was some dissension in that room that likely contributed to not always having the best player on the field. Every RB thought they should have been RB1 and played every snap.

Mason should have been our short yardage back but Gibbs and Choice didn’t like that. So instead of having a well planned sub pattern, we half arsed it, trying to keep everyone happy.

Mason has impressed the Niners but their RB depth is a challenge for him making the roster (Mitchell, Wilson, and the LSU rookie are locks; Hasty is a likely). Unless they are willing to cut Sermon (and call it quits on the third-rounder), it's hard to envision him getting a spot on the 53-man roster. I hope they cut Sermon. He's a bust. Dude does not like contact and is indecisive.

What’s important now is to go to work everyday so the news coming out of camp is all positive, then flash with physical runs in games. He’s doing all of that, so I definitely could see him getting a shot on a practice squad somewhere. Practice squad RBs are as likely as any position to get called up to the 53. He’s doing everything right to ultimately get his shot.

In last night's preseason victory over the Minnesota Vikings, Mason led the team with 57 yards on nine carries and was making highlight plays that everyone around the NFL was noticing.
Not exactly NFL starting talent that he's running those stats up against.

With Mason,its good and bad news. For him--good.He has a chance to make team. For Tech boosters/team is --bad, It again ,with Gibbs, shows how much talent left after last yr.

One of my driving thoughts was just simply the OL wasn't designed for any type of passing offense which emphasizes length over girth.
It must have been awesome playing for a coach that purposefully ran plays his best players on the OL were completely incapable of running.

Back