Jordan Yates ATL

That’s fine

Just DO NOT rotate quarterbacks in the middle of a freaking drive!

Please
Unless we have a first and goal. I would like to see some TO at QB in these situations, or we could just motion him in to take the snap while keeping Graham/Johnson on the field.

He has been ATL for a while now. Did play 1 play against Duke. Probably best to play him the next 3 and not have UGA kill him (just a joke)

He "looked" like Russell Wilson in High school. Not super fast, not super athletic but a very good athlete that does a lot of things well at the QB position. He is a very engaged and focused young man. In High School, he was a strong leader and you could tell the rest of the team looked up to him and he delivered; makes a lot of big plays. I noticed he is very involved on the sidelines with play calls and always in the huddle. I expect he will be well prepared for a true freshmen if he gets a chance.

His issue is going to be his size and arm strength. He is going to have a hard time finding passing lanes over our tall OL and I just don't know about his arm strength one way or the other; just know he isn't John Elway. Wilson and Drew Brees make it work but it isn't easy.
I saw him play a lot in HS and I agree with all of this.

This team is like if your record collection was stolen and you're stuck borrowing from your sister until you can build it back up again. Until then, it's Pablo Cruise for a while.

I did like our sudden get under center play against Pitt. We drew an offsides and got the first down run anyway, although we took the 5 yard penalty after gaining 3

Did anybody else want our guys to come to their school to play QB?
I think a guy who is recruited as an athlete can still play qb. However, it is not a sure thing and it takes a year or two longer for them to develop.

We have not given Graham or Johnson enough time to become what they cpuld be. Johnson is in sight but he is still only a soph. Graham is a freshman and looks two years away. So shame on any "fan" that sets unrealistic 2019 expectations on either one or chooses to throw either under the bus for anything they do this year.

We risk undercutting their self-confidence (especially Graham) and their physical health playing behind this line (particularly Johnson). Collins did what he could to protect them by trying to go with TO as long as he could but TO was never good for much other than keeping. So we are where we are.

I dunno the long range plans for Yates. I expect him to make about 20 starts on the flats, cuz I like him but not 4 years like him.. If Collins feels the same, expect Yates to get a taste this week, carry a mop against the Va schools, and watch vs the Cesspool.

JfL sagely listed Yates' homework he needs before the games, but I am not worried about that. Yeates is off the charts character. I bet sight unseen he can put us in protections by now and do simple reads. So send him out to read off a safety and ask him to get the ball out on time. Let him try to overthrow Brown, hand the ball off a few rimes, and then pat him on the butt.

Graham's performance with us reminds me a lot of RG III's performance with the Redskins his first year.

Clearly a gifted athlete but what worked against HS teams ain't exactly working against next-level competition. I like JG - kid has guts to go with his obvious talent. But, you can't revert to what worked in High School. Up your game and use your athleticism as a force multiplier and not as a primary option.

Last edited:
Our OL has done well. One of our QB’s is a sack waiting to happen and another can’t make a 15 yard pass within five yards of his receiver. Every other player but kickers has steadily improved. I am impressed with our coaching, but QB is a pretty important position.

Graham's performance with us reminds me a lot of RG III's performance with the Redskins his first year.

Clearly a gifted athlete but what worked against HS teams ain't exactly working against next-level competition. I like JG - kid has guts to go with his obvious talent. But, you can't revert to what worked in High School. Up your game and use your athleticism as a force multiplier and not as a primary option.

But RG 3 was great the first year besides injury.

Our OL has probably improved more than any position over the season. This is a credit to Coach Key. Yates is the type QB that while not super tall(around 6'0"-6'1") he has that intangible to find the passing lane ala Russell Wilson/Drew Bres. I would compare his skill sets with a really good point guard in BB able to get the ball to the right person and optimizing scoring chances. Will he do this in his first real PT? Don't know the answer to that but he needs PT to answer those questions. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Our OL has probably improved more than any position over the season. This is a credit to Coach Key. Yates is the type QB that while not super tall(around 6'0"-6'1") he has that intangible to find the passing lane ala Russell Wilson/Drew Bres. I would compare his skill sets with a really good point guard in BB able to get the ball to the right person and optimizing scoring chances. Will he do this in his first real PT? Don't know the answer to that but he needs PT to answer those questions. Looking forward to seeing him develop.
There is a huge jump from high school to college. The Brees and Wilson comparisons need to stop. If he were that good, he'd be taking every snap already.
One of our players said it years ago, can't remember who it was. It was something like this. "In high school, I was the best player on the team. When you get to college, almost every player was the best player on their high school team"
Graham and Johnson both put up great stats in high school

Unless we have a first and goal. I would like to see some TO at QB in these situations, or we could just motion him in to take the snap while keeping Graham/Johnson on the field.

If history is any indicator, it'll be Lucas on 3rd and 2 and Tobias on 3rd and 12. Because that's what no one expects from the offense that everybody runs or something.

There is a huge jump from high school to college. The Brees and Wilson comparisons need to stop. If he were that good, he'd be taking every snap already.
One of our players said it years ago, can't remember who it was. It was something like this. "In high school, I was the best player on the team. When you get to college, almost every player was the best player on their high school team"
Do you think Brees and Wilson coming out of high school were already anointed the next Doug Fluties or drew comparisons? Of course no one knows how well he will play on this level, but at the HS level he had some of those intangibles.

Do you think Brees and Wilson coming out of high school were already anointed the next Doug Fluties or drew comparisons? Of course no one knows how well he will play on this level, but at the HS level he had some of those intangibles.
DYY6eeA.jpg

Dude they said that's the STYLE of qb he is not that he's as good as freaking Russell Wilson, maybe the best QB in the NFL now.

Wilson redshirted his freshman year, too. Didn't win the starting job til halfway through the next year. When I brought up Wilson, I meant that's just the prototype of QB Yates projects as. That would obviously be if he reaches his ultimate upside.

I have seen the incoming freshman Gleason compared by different people to Tim Tebow or Alex Smith. It's more just about how they play, plus body type, and we will always compare them to well known QB's.

Last edited:
Collins went after Jalen Hurts, Brandon Wimbush from Notre Dame and a few more but they obviously went elsewhere. I think he would have liked to have a 1 year stud QB but was only going to take a grad transfer if the guy was a clear stud who could ease the transition. As it is, even though we're paying the penalty of an inexperienced QB right now, it will probably help those guys in the long run that they were baptized by fire this year.

"baptized by fire" or traumatized by stampeding defenders bearing down on them constantly

Back