Jordan Yates ATL

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Pat-a-dude says Yates is going in. Sometime. So there’s that.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
I don’t hold out much hope for Yates making a difference, but all Graham has proven is that he’s better than Toby and Lucas. Now that Yates is QB2, we should give him a chance like we did the others. It’s not like we’re playing for something meaningful at this point. Hell, it actually gives me a reason to watch this week.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
I'm assuming this means Lucas is out...

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I'm assuming this means Lucas is out...
I wouldnt say that at this point. Certainly not before Yates takes a snap.

This timing is all about the 4 game rule and Yates being able to play and still keep a redshirt. It would be crazy not to throw him out there and see what he is made of.

BranMart

Vegetables taste like sad.
I wouldnt say that at this point. Certainly not before Yates takes a snap.

This timing is all about the 4 game rule and Yates being able to play and still keep a redshirt. It would be crazy not to throw him out there and see what he is made of.
I think he was talking about Lucas being injured, not demoted.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
We converted two first downs last week. Anything is worth a try.

So a dumb question - is Yates a pocket passer or does he have some ability to move around? Not sure why I thought he was primarily a pocket passer. I'm just worried that Mendenhal is going to try to kill him. Virginia is in the top 30 in rushing defense, passing defense and 3rd down conversion defense. Yikes - here we go again.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
We converted two first downs last week. Anything is worth a try.

So a dumb question - is Yates a pocket passer or does he have some ability to move around? Not sure why I thought he was primarily a pocket passer. I'm just worried that Mendenhal is going to try to kill him. Virginia is in the top 30 in rushing defense, passing defense and 3rd down conversion defense. Yikes - here we go again.
Oh, Yates is certainly a runner, which is why CPJ recruited him to run the option. I wouldn't say he is lightning fast or anything, but he can run, for sure. His QB coach (who is Deshaun Watson's private QB coach) always compares him to Russell Wilson. Not saying he is going to be that good, just that he fits that mold in terms of the type of QB skill set he brings. Legit dual threat as opposed to an athlete playing QB.

At Milton last year, he threw for 2500 yards and ran for nearly a thousand.

Last edited:

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******

Walton

Damn Good Rat
He has been ATL for a while now. Did play 1 play against Duke. Probably best to play him the next 3 and not have UGA kill him (just a joke)

He "looked" like Russell Wilson in High school. Not super fast, not super athletic but a very good athlete that does a lot of things well at the QB position. He is a very engaged and focused young man. In High School, he was a strong leader and you could tell the rest of the team looked up to him and he delivered; makes a lot of big plays. I noticed he is very involved on the sidelines with play calls and always in the huddle. I expect he will be well prepared for a true freshmen if he gets a chance.

His issue is going to be his size and arm strength. He is going to have a hard time finding passing lanes over our tall OL and I just don't know about his arm strength one way or the other; just know he isn't John Elway. Wilson and Drew Brees make it work but it isn't easy.

gte490v

Dodd-Like
He has been ATL for a while now. Did play 1 play against Duke. Probably best to play him the next 3 and not have UGA kill him (just a joke)

He "looked" like Russell Wilson in High school. Not super fast, not super athletic but a very good athlete that does a lot of things well at the QB position. He is a very engaged and focused young man. In High School, he was a strong leader and you could tell the rest of the team looked up to him and he delivered; makes a lot of big plays. I noticed he is very involved on the sidelines with play calls and always in the huddle. I expect he will be well prepared for a true freshmen if he gets a chance.

His issue is going to be his size and arm strength. He is going to have a hard time finding passing lanes over our tall OL and I just don't know about his arm strength one way or the other; just know he isn't John Elway. Wilson and Drew Brees make it work but it isn't easy.
Agree with this. I assume he's the reason we have D Leonard on the roster and a PWO from Milton at long snapper / OL.

Curious to see if his arm strength has improved, I didn't think it was 'that bad' at Milton.

sowegajacket

Idiotsavant
Yates "willed" his team to victory against a powerful Colquitt County team in the state championship game. He was electric!!!