Jordan Yates

MACHETE

Dodd-Like
Let's wait a bit and see what develops. I remember seeing Fran Tarkenton in the Tech-Georgia freshman game many years ago. Tarkenton was basically a running QB at that point, barely adequate passer.
Damn, how old are you?

sthorfinnr

We The Vanguard Stockholders
I've seen Yates play in person maybe 20 times, he was a 3 year starter at Milton. He's improved every year and he is absolutely a polished, accurate QB with strong but not elite arm strength. Milton played an elite schedule against teams filled with power 5 talent with a roster not filled with elite talent and he obviously led them to the state championship where Russ Probst the legendary Colquitt coach said that he was the difference in the game. I questioned his running ability in the previous offense but anyone who says he isn't accurate is either an idiot or hasn't seen him play much.
Thing to remember in the Colquitt game. He wasn't playing against just any HS team. That Colquitt defense was LOADED with D-1 players, including at DB. That was no ordinary high school team.

684Bee

Varsity Lurker
Thing to remember in the Colquitt game. He wasn't playing against just any HS team. That Colquitt defense was LOADED with D-1 players, including at DB. That was no ordinary high school team.

That defense included a DB?!? Wow, Russ Probst is a genius!

Techbert

Dodd-Like
You guys would be a lot happier if you did not look at star ratings at all. The worst thing you can when evaluating players is take someone else's word.

The second worst thing you can do is scout off a highlight reel.

The third worst thing is look at old hs tape. The kids change too quickly. After that comes a small sample size of viewings.

Basically, we can get excited about a kid but we can't devote the resources to fully understand even one school's class. You either trust the coaches eval skills or you do not.

User 10337

You guys would be a lot happier if you did not look at star ratings at all. The worst thing you can when evaluating players is take someone else's word.

The second worst thing you can do is scout off a highlight reel.

The third worst thing is look at old hs tape. The kids change too quickly. After that comes a small sample size of viewings.

Basically, we can get excited about a kid but we can't devote the resources to fully understand even one school's class. You either trust the coaches eval skills or you do not.
I don’t trust the coaches eval skills for QB. But I do see his natural talent for the game, running ability, and I choose to speculate that he has good intangibles. I think he’ll be an important part of our team in the future from the slot rather than slanging.

The QB of the future is going to have to see over the massive line we are going to have.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I dont know jack on the specifics for Yates, but I need to add a fact. The top QBs today are absolutely capable of playing at a D1 level including reading defenses on day 1. This is a big change from even a decade ago. The QB instruction at top high schools has made huge strides but more important is the QB academies and personal QB trainers that are being paid to develop these kids much earlier than previously.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I dont know jack on the specifics for Yates, but I need to add a fact. The top QBs today are absolutely capable of playing at a D1 level including reading defenses on day 1. This is a big change from even a decade ago. The QB instruction at top high schools has made huge strides but more important is the QB academies and personal QB trainers that are being paid to develop these kids much earlier than previously.
FWIW, Yates worked with Quincy Avery, a pretty well known QB coach who developed Deshaun Watson, Josh Dobbs and others. His uncle is also NFL journeyman TJ Yates. He has gotten some top notch coaching. Wouldn't surprise me if he could play early.

RaiderJacket

Varsity Lurker
The QB of the future is going to have to see over the massive line we are going to have.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you're joking but someone needs to tell that to Drew Brees this Sunday in the NFC Championship.:bigthumbup:

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
I don’t trust the coaches eval skills for QB. But I do see his natural talent for the game, running ability, and I choose to speculate that he has good intangibles. I think he’ll be an important part of our team in the future from the slot rather than slanging.

The QB of the future is going to have to see over the massive line we are going to have.
Bring on Blake Bortles!!! Yippeee :facepalm:

johncu

Dodd-Like

Both of the last 2 Heisman winners are QBs shorter than Jordan Yates. One just went #1 overall in the NFL Draft, and the other will probably be top 10 in the next draft. I think he'll be fine at 6'1.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
If we end up recruiting a 6'5" pocket passer in the next class who is better than Yates, great. But it is an outdated view to think that is a must have.