Jordan Yates

AlaGold

Dodd-Like
Actually I doubt either Hamilton or Thomas was 5'10". We say height is an advantage, but the shorter, more athletic guys also have an advantage. They can run, and they don't have to be in an option oriented offense for this to matter (e.g., Russell Wilson).
Joe was 5-9, 183 at combine.

User 10337

I think we will play the best QB we have and call plays accordingly. Next year, barring a grad transfer, we will have a dual threat QB, so he will run a good bit. If we recruit a statuesque pocket passer, we will go with that. The main thing is accuracy. Think about Joe Ham and Godsey. Very different quarterbacks but that's what they had in common and I'd take a clone of either one, as we haven't really had that kind of accuracy since.

The main thing will be pre snap reads, post snap reads, and decision making. Being tall helps 2 of those things directly. I’d argue that it indirectly helps decision making by being able to see the field better (all things being equal).

Accuracy is important, but getting in the right play, setting proper protection, and understanding where the hot routes/sight reads are will be the most important things. All that stuff has to happen before delivery of the ball to the correct spot.

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.
How much does a QB need to run? How athletic do they need to be according to you?
Goose took offense at being called "not athletic", which, if you think about it makes sense; he was probably one of the top athletes on the field when he played HS ball, and I imagine he played multiple sports there as well. Just the fact that he wasn't as fast as some doesn't mean he wasn't athletic.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
The main thing will be pre snap reads, post snap reads, and decision making. Being tall helps 2 of those things directly. I’d argue that it indirectly helps decision making by being able to see the field better (all things being equal).

Accuracy is important, but getting in the right play, setting proper protection, and understanding where the hot routes/sight reads are will be the most important things. All that stuff has to happen before delivery of the ball to the correct spot.
I still think Yates could very well be the guy for us, but looking at the offers made so far for the 2020 class, I can see that CGC is probably thinking along the same lines as you.

Harrison Bailey: 6'4" 220, Pro-Style
Tyler Van Dyke: 6'4" 212, Pro-Style
Carson Beck: 6'4" 218, Pro-Style

We seem to be targeting pretty specific measurables across the board at every position, which is very reminiscent of Saban-style recruiting.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
I still think Yates could very well be the guy for us, but looking at the offers made so far for the 2020 class, I can see that CGC is probably thinking along the same lines as you.

Harrison Bailey: 6'4" 220, Pro-Style
Tyler Van Dyke: 6'4" 212, Pro-Style
Carson Beck: 6'4" 218, Pro-Style

We seem to be targeting pretty specific measurables across the board at every position, which is very reminiscent of Saban-style recruiting.
The best of the QBs offered might be the 9th grader from Thomasville

http://www.hudl.com/v/2A9pqS

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
I have no issue whatsoever with tall QBs, and I agree that height is an advantage. But so is mobility. I'd rather have a 5'10 QB that can run than a 6'5 QB that is a statue, if their arm strength and accuracy is the same. Look at our starting QBs since Joe Ham:

Marshall - 5'10
Thomas - 5'10
Lee - 6'1
Washington - 6'0
Nesbitt - 6'1
Bennett - 6'3
Ball - 5'11
Suggs - 6'4
Godsey - 6'2
Hamilton - 5'10

Arguably the 2 best QB's we've had in the modern era were both 5'10. We only had 2 QB's taller than 6'2, and they were the worst QB's we've had in at least 25 years. I just don't understand the fascination with a big QB, especially with our current personnel and our OC's expressed desire to run "multiple" systems. A QB that can't run dramatically reduces what you can do on offense in this day and age. I know tall =/= slow, but there's definitely a correlation.
FWIW Justin Thomas was not 5'10 he was just listed as 5'10 so CPJ was not a laughing stock for starting a qb that was 5'8... While Joe Ham is ...JT was probably 5'8 or 5'9.... Lamar Owens is 5'9.... In the photo below, Lamar, Joe and JT are watching a pro day.... Both Both Joe and Lamar look taller and JT is wearing a hat...

Link
https://www.google.com/search?q=Joe...AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=950#imgrc=3A83ByNB-f8wtM:

johncu

Dodd-Like

I agree with all of this. In terms of our previous offense, Tevin Washington was an average athlete and not a good passer at all, but our offense was extremely efficient under him because we rarely lost yardage and he consistently made good decisions with the ball.

Height, arm strength, and athleticism are definitely advantages, but I'd much rather have a QB with average physical abilities and elite accuracy and decision making than vice versa. Think George Godsey vs. Damarius Bilbo.

johncu

Dodd-Like
The best of the QBs offered might be the 9th grader from Thomasville

http://www.hudl.com/v/2A9pqS
Holy öööö. I'm impressed by his physical talent, but probably even more impressed that a freshman is stepping up into the pocket, sliding around to evade rushers, scrambling but keeping his eyes downfield, and not just throwing a dumpoff pass but slinging 40 yards bombs for TDs. We need to be ON this kid.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry

How short you gotta be to not see over the center pre-snap?