JUCO QB's..........WE NEED ONE

Re: JUCO QB\'s..........WE NEED ONE

Originally posted by 83jacket:

Wrong the QB position will be wide open in practice this spring. If Bilbo beats him out he will play and not Suggs. I have been to a number of practices. The problem with Bilbo at this point if for every great play he makes in practice he make two really bad ones. When it starts to click for him and it will click for him at some point (hopefully in the Spring) he will beat Suggs out because he is simply more talented than Suggs. Gailey is a football coach and does not play favorites..he will start whom ever he thinks give GT the best chance to win..it is as simple as that despite the elaborant theories posters weave on this message board to the contrary
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think you are probably right. It is hard for us b/c we believe it would be better to lose with Bilbo than with Suggs. And everytime we lose a game b/c of an iterception or poor throws it just makes us want the other guy.

Bilbo is VERY young. He will have 3 years of elgibility after this year. I just hope it clicks for him REAL soon. He has 2 weeks, LOL.

Godsey was an EFFICIENT qb who used his brains more than any other asset. He was also a leader and fierce competitor. We do not need a "flashy" qb - just one that can make the plays and will choose to throw ball away rather than to defender! If qb has intangibles like Godsey, we will be alright. Unfortunately, our current one is the antithesis.

I'm glad things are so obvious to some of you, it must be nice to live life with so many certainties. Unless you know enough about football to judge talent, to evaluate what kids do on the field and understand why things go right or wrong, none of your opinions matter. Neither do mine. The coaches are trying to win every game the line up for. In doing so they are choosing the players/schemes/plays they feel give them the best chance to do that.

Coaches hate inconsistency almost more than anything else. What we as fans see is more "obvious" physical talent. We don't have a clue what they are really supposed to be doing. From a coaches perspective they are willing to take less talent in some cases if they have more confidence in knowing what the kid will do. To me that's what is going on this year.

Next year will be a different story. Bilbo will have a chance to win the job but he will have to show he can handle enough of the package and execute consistently. I believe he has the talent, I hope he has the maturity to do it.

And as far as other QBs in the system who are at other positions, I would assume they will be free to ask for another shot at the position in the spring. CG has said many times that he believe a kid will play harder if they are at a position they really want to play. I would encourage any of those guys to give it another shot if they believe in themselves.

83Jacket, I think you missed my point. I am not saying we have to play Bilbo. Play camp or pull Landry/Logan back into the mix, whatever.

If Suggs is performing as the least effective QB in the conference or close to it, then it is not our observations only, there is plenty of proof.

With this in mind, put in the right offensive tackle at quarterback, whoever he is!

drinking.gif

PLENTY!!! Gosh awmighty folks, connect the goddam dots!
pat.gif

I can't understand why CG is so adament about giving all the meaningful playing time to AJ.
Did AJ catch CG in a compromising position or something? I could understand it if AJ was head and shoulders above DeBo but the controversy on both boards testify to the truth that this is not
so. He is just bull headed and in the end it is going to cost us.

Gailey really bothered me with going with Suggs. Suggs was sick all week. We knew we could win and this would have been a great development opportunity for both Camp and Bilbo. He is really afraid of the quarterback controversy. Lets compare schools - if Greene was sick all week do you think that his backup would have started. IMHO Shockley would have been the man because he was at 100%. Richt is secure and can handle the criticism while Gailey is wilting. I wish we had Richt, he will be a good coach for UGA for a long time while Gailey will be gone in 4 or less because of making decisions like this.

Originally posted by gtmg:
Gailey really bothered me with going with Suggs. Suggs was sick all week. We knew we could win and this would have been a great development opportunity for both Camp and Bilbo. He is really afraid of the quarterback controversy. Lets compare schools - if Greene was sick all week do you think that his backup would have started. IMHO Shockley would have been the man because he was at 100%. Richt is secure and can handle the criticism while Gailey is wilting. I wish we had Richt, he will be a good coach for UGA for a long time while Gailey will be gone in 4 or less because of making decisions like this.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I had to post to this... first off.. I dont give a DAMN about what they do in Athens... dont care what Richt would or would not have done... I do know this.. .Richt made some stupid calls last year, calls that lost them games... but the fans stuck by him... I cant say the same for some on this board in terms of Gailey, in fact, our level of support in terms of Gailey reminds me alot of Georgia and Donnan. Richt went 8-4 at Georgia last year and is "secure".. Gailey is one game from 8-4 and is "wilting" ??? Well, he is not wilting in my eyes... while this season has not been as smooth as I would have liked... the kids and coaches have done a good job... it would have been easy to have lost this team but Gailey didnt... the kids didnt quit.. this is nothing like 10 years ago... its nothing like last year !! I think the coaches are going to play the kids that give us the best chance to win ... afterall, it is easier for the coaches to get a bump in salary when they are winning !! Am I pleased with the play of QB this year.. no.. but I do trust the coaches to make the right decisions...

I remember an incident during my college days when I went out to grab a beer with a couple of ME majors, (no offense intended here).. and I sat in a booth with them while the two of them tried to plot the parabolic arch formed while pouring beer from a pitcher.... I thought to myself.. why the analysis, why not just enjoy the beer, and the women... I decided that sometimes you can overanalyze things ... I think many are overanalyzing the QB situation, Gailey, etc.. did they really find witches in New England? They thought they did.

I know what you are trying to say but I would have to believe that the reason Richt is so secure is because he knocked off two of their three biggest rivals (UT & GT). He also has caught plenty of grief for his silly mistakes but winning against your rivals is huge. Also, he has a tendency to own up to his team's mistakes. Gailey at times has shown a tendency to be too defensive. Frankly, I haven't made up my mind on Gailey yet (still too early in the game) but I don't think you can completely compare the two situations.

When we beat UGA next week I have a feeling that everyone's opinion of Gailey will change a little. That is just the nature of the beast.

The only time I can really think of Gailey being defensive is when people attack players. Other than that I wouldn't think criticism would bother him after all he's been through in Dallas.

The question was posed, "do you think a coach would not play a player if he was the best player?"

Yes, I do. I think a coach that is hard-headed and thinks he is sending a message will do that. As someone has already mentioned, Carson was hard-headed, Donnan was hard-headed, Pepper Rodgers was hard-headed, Lewis was hard-headed. It has happened.

There seems to be a common thread among these type of coaches. They self destruct and take the team with them. Evidently, they couldn't see it in themselves, so they never tried to change.

Am I saying Gailey is one of these types? No, I cannot make that judgement, but many have attested to the fact he has been rather testy to some of the fans with his answers. That, within itself, generally exhibits a defensive posture by a person.

Time will tell.

wink.gif

Originally posted by gtmg:
I wish we had Richt, he will be a good coach for UGA for a long time while Gailey will be gone in 4 or less because of making decisions like this.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Though I can't complain about the year UGA's having and I think that Richt is a good overall coach, I will always disagree with the 2 QB rotation thing that's going on, and I will always believe the 4th down call in the Clem game was stupid, not to mention some of the calls last year.

In theory the opposing D has to prepare for more, and the rotation was intoxicating against weak defenses like Vandy and the Bluegrass Mildcats, but in real games it has not worked and may have even cost UGA the Florida game. It disrupts the starter's rhythm and it puts too much pressure on both QBs to make plays when they are in the game, causing them to force the ball to covered receivers as evidenced by DJ's "pick six."

Too early to give up on CG. My initial reaction to his hiring was that it was a good move and would attract players who want make it in the NFL. But then came the stories about him being soft and not running a disciplined offense at Miami, and now I am hearing that he's not doing a good job recruiting in Georgia.

That remains to be seen, but it would be a mistake not to recruit this state hard with all the talent, as long as he can find academically qualified players, but GT has had success in the past recruiting in-state and I can't believe that all of a sudden there aren't any talented and qualified players in this state. After all CG is a Georgia native and I thought his in-state connections were part of the reason he was hired in the first place.

Lombardi was hardheaded

Bear Bryant was hardheaded

I hear what you are saying Ahso... but I think the biggest problem is that there are too many who have "not yet decided" to support our current staff... would I have chosen Gailey... probably not, the primary reason being that I dont follow pro football and didnt know anything about him... but I think this guy is going to do a great job here...

Dore-Dawg.. I agree with you about the 2 QB rotation... Richt is playing politics with Shockleys Dad... you guys lost to Fla because of it too.. . there shouldnt be a team from the West that will be UGA, earning Georgia the SEC championship.. but they cant afford to take the same strategy into that game that they took into Florida... They better let Greene play...

Originally posted by jacketguy:

I hear what you are saying Ahso... but I think the biggest problem is that there are too many who have "not yet decided" to support our current staff... would I have chosen Gailey... probably not, the primary reason being that I dont follow pro football and didnt know anything about him... but I think this guy is going to do a great job here...

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't confuse criticism with nonsupport. Everybody on this board with the exception of one, has at least given Gailey a chance to prove himself. I for one, will not make a call on whether I think he is a good hire until after this recruiting year. I have my doubts about him and I am disappointed that we did not win some more games, but I really want to see what he is going to do with our 25 scholarships.

Thanks wrecked, you are really on target. Criticism is good in many cases.

Some things have to be kept in the proper perspective. A coach is just that. He should know more about his team than others on the outside, but that does not insure he knows more about life, relationships, and many other matters over a casual bystander.

In other words, just because a person is a coach does not always make him right about his decisions. It is true the decisions are his to make, but also true he has to answer for those decisions. Some of the people he ultimately has to answer to are the fans who pay his salary.

Just because a coach has a team, does not mean he possesses the ultimate understanding of all things. There are possibly others he could learn from. Criticism is very good if it can get a person to look within and examine motives and actions.

Without criticism, a person may go their whole life and make the same mistake over and over again. However, if they reflect on the criticism and honestly consider it, they might come up with a better method of accomplishing their objectives.

The wise person considers the instructions of the counsel. It appears to me, many are giving their counsel either pro or con. A coach does not have to follow the counsel, but he is wise to consider it. He eventually has to answer to the fans giving the counsel.

There may be many posters giving advice in hopes it hits a nerve and causes the coaches or players to consider their actions. If the advice or criticism is offered in the proper perspective, it may be enhance the coach or players to become more effective.

You never know for sure, some coaches and players may read the boards to see what the fans are saying about different situations. It is possible, many players are in agreement with some of the statements. It is also possible the coaches are in agreement with some of the statements.

Sometimes, a combination of some of the pros and some if the cons on a subject can lead to a much better view of the subject and solve a problem to a better degree.

smile.gif

Back