Just Curious

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Last year after O'Leary half-heartedly approached the Georgia game and we got spanked 31-17 - I moved on.

This year, after the worst defeat in Georgia Tech history, I am not moving on.

That in and of itself was simply the culmination of a complete collapse. Except for John Tenuta's defense, this team showed absolutely no improvement in the other phases of the game - clock management, catching the ball, turnover ratio, etc. You guys may move on and talk about recruiting but eventually you have to ask specific questions about competency. I would say if anyone is a "pseudo Yellow Jacket fan" or Bulldog in disguise it is those posting for business as usual. I, for one, fully would expect that we can hire a staff that does not have rings coached around it by Wake Forest, gives a game away vs. Clemson, gets blownout on national tv vs. Maryland, and cannot muster enough enthusiasm to even give a game to our arch-rival. I will move on when someone can explain how we go into the future so nonchalant about this performance. As for credentials, ask Nate Stimson for his, for he has stated much the same thing as we have, and privately other ex-Tech players are voicing the same.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">OK Wasp. Let's all just sit around and mope and make Chan jokes for the next 6 months. And anyone who doesn't like it...we'll just call them a Dawg or something along those lines. Yea, sounds like a winner to me.

I give up. Bash away.

Originally posted by bugboy:
[OK Wasp. Let's all just sit around and mope and make Chan jokes for the next 6 months. And anyone who doesn't like it...we'll just call them a Dawg or something along those lines. Yea, sounds like a winner to me.

I give up. Bash away.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No, no, bug, you evidently just don't understand: a squealing baby is a squealing baby: he wants his way NOW! Why should little katzenjammer move on while he still has poo-poo in his diaper that he can spread on his face and on the GTAA?

HIS FEELINGS ARE IMPORTANT!! In fact, they are near about the only thing in the world, and the rest of us just have to put up with them. Apparently, we're even supposed to pretend they make sense.

Suggesting we move on! Good grief!

Belly, like it or not this small Tech fan base is already a small one, so better not run any away. I do believe Wasp has been posting a long time so I think he must be a geuine fan, who just happens not agree with some of you. We need to face up to a not a good situation! What happens if we loose 10% of the season tkt holders? With the status quo you won't be able to make those you loose up! THIS IS A BAD SITUATION RIGHT NOW. I have personaly talked to a couple who are not going to renew if he stays 1 more year. Thats not counting this board.

techrod, you're right, we are a small fanbase, but I can't imagine that my puny remarks will run anyone off! Cretainly no one else's are going to run me off.
I am only hoping that some posters will hear what they sound like if some of us point it out. And if they hear it, maybe they'll moderate it a little bit.
There is NO CHANCE our head coach is going to be fired after one season, even if he had gone 0-12. Big-time programs don't work that way. So it is unreasonable to keep harping on that, as some have done. In bugboy's words "it's time to move on." Those who need to vent have had the opportunity, so let's sure enough, move on.

I don,t want any body to feel they are not wanted. It is hard to move on when I go into a local restraunt and the owner[in front of a business client] holds up the score of the game and makes a snide remark! It is definately going to be hard to live down.

t'rod I feel your pain;hopefully the client realizes that you have more class than the restaurant owner! Next time GT pounds UGAg into the hardwood we will all show up wearing Old Gold as a practice run for when we kick their ass next year!

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Originally posted by GTYELLOWJACKET:

Have you coached a college team to a national championship or a bowl game? Have you coached an NFL team to the playoffs? Have you been a head coach, offensive coordinator, or defensive coordinator in the NFL? Have you recruited division 1 players?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTYELLOWJACKET, why don't you tell us which coach was right when O'Brien wanted keep Bilbo in the Wake Forest game and Gailey overruled him?

GTYELLOWJACKET, I did answer your question. I said it does not make any difference regarding the poster's football background.

All opinions are equal on the board. If a poster has an opinion, it is up to him to prove, defend, or ignore any responses.

It would be rather foolish for a poster to come on the board, give his opinion, and each time give his qualifications for his opinion. Personally, I believe it best to leave all qualifications alone, and just post your opinion.

I don't believe it would help the board for us to get into an ego contest to determine who has the best qualifications to post.

wink.gif

It'll be interesting to see if Gailey makes any moves in the offseason. We've all vented. It's been a tough year.

To Belly and others. My point was the act of "patience and moving on" started long ago. When I watched O'leary and Roof stand stubbornley as Clemson ran the QB draw 6-8 times without making an adjustment. When we made numerous little league mistakes like Joe Burns running out of bounds vs. Maryland. Our annual missed shot vs. FSU capped by a lackluster performance vs. UGA at home. I moved on.

When Gailey was hired that was me amongst 15 or so regulars watching spring practice. I was amazed at the nonchalant attitude and pep coming off a fantastic effort in the Seattle Bowl. But, I said to myself this is just spring practice, give the guy a chance to move in.

UConn and Vandy told me nothing. But Clemson and Wake Forest surely did. This team did not lose games due to lack of talent but some questionable play calling, horrendus personnel decisions, lack of cohesive clock management or bench control (too many players on the field, plays coming in late, timeouts needing to be called after a timeout, and even calling timeout for Tommy Bowden allowing him to score a touchdown vs. a field goal!) Wake Forest's staff put on a coaching clinic, showing exactly what how a less talented team can perform on the road (see Tech Vs. Ga 2002).

Tenuta's defense kept us looking far more competitive than we usually were. They tackled and fundamentally performed better than previous years. They could not hold the dam back vs. Georgia against the offensive ineptness and turnovers.

NC State was an aberration. Hindsight shows State was overhyped. Virginia was the highlight of the year.

Some 7-5 years are fine. If you are Wake or another program on the upswing. Coming off of Lewis, O'Leary at least instilled some fight so that win or lose, you never went to a game expecting that debacle in Athens last Saturday to take place. This 7-5 year is not fine. Supposedly we hired someone who had the credentials and experience to keep things running at least at a competitive level. 51-7 and a blowout to Maryland - both coming after off weeks is not indicative of improvement.

As for what could have been or can be, look at Georgia and Ohio State. Donnan had all the Atlanta media up in arms about his departure after an almost .800 winning percentage. Ohio State always went after the big names, until finally right under their nose they gave an up and coming young guy from Youngstown State the ball. Look at where they both are now. Ok, so we dont have the academic license, facilities nor resources those two do. Let's look at someone right up the road. I've seen Wake Forest, with 4,000 students, no crowds and no tradition beat Tech with Joe Hamilton, and this year Grobe has established himself and staff as the best in the conference with the possible exception of Groh at Virginia. These are schools that hired well. Coaches are out there.

Again, I began moving on long ago, but as the years go on there fast becomes a place where there is nothing to move on to except the crap heap. I think it is great we have a golf team that is good and I am a fantastic baseball fan. But this is football, and I don't think going out and getting in basketball arguments with people erases 51-7. Like Paul Revere, I and a few others were amazed at the lack of intensity BEFORE the game and before the season. I just kept waiting, trying to give this staff the benefit of the doubt, and they never give the public anything to hang onto.

People are different with different opinions and credentials. Some of you guys are content to move and try to forget. I guess I would like to move on also, to a better place. A place where we never, ever again witness 51-7 to Georgia of all people. If you think that was just a "bad day at the office" and things are really OK behind the scenes and Tech will beat them next year, well, forget it. I may be the last one out here, but I know TECH can beat their ass, and certainly should beat Wake, and certainly can recruit a coach on par with Virginia. Some may be fine and dandy paying to see a once proud program slop the field vs. Duke, but as a long time supporter expect better - and again, I'm not going away so get used to a different viewpoint.

I am glad folks like Father Wasp are NOT going away. I don't know why we can't fire Gailey after this year. He is a joke. He cannot inspire a football team to beat Weak Florist on their own field. If this year is the example of what we have in store for the next few years, then God help us. The gold colored glasses crew wants everybody to just get over this massacre we witnessed a week ago. Like a bucket of poop, let it crust over and it won't stink much anymore. Don't stir the bucket anymore and it won't stink. Well it stinks and always will. Chan Gailey couldn't inspire his football team to run out of a burning building. I am amazed more than anything else that the current Tech "nation" is as it seems not up in arms more. Everybody wants to just let it go and things will be better next season. There is NO justification for believing that anything will be better next season. I think this season will prove to be CGs best. Don't criticize anybody like that can't stomach that. Complacency with this coaching regime will take us to even lower lows than last Saturday's massacre. I only wish that every Tech alum and fan were as outraged as me and Techrod and Father Wasp. If that were so, then something might get changed. And don't think that we are the types that just sit around and bitch all the time. But this season has been a disaster, even if it was 7-5 in my opinion. And it doesn't have to be that way.
puke.gif

Father Wasp, as usual you are correct. The only defensive lapse I saw was playing one player who got burned on passes and missed tackles all year. Other than that the defense played well considering how the offense wouldn’t move the ball an the D was constantly protecting our goal line.

I can live with guys getting beat deep all day long. And that is why I give Tenuta credit. He improved. After the initial 3-4 games with our usual 10-15 yd cushion he pulled up the DB's and adjusted. Again, this is about improving, not perfection. The defense got better, the offense, special teams and bench got worse. I am fine with a guy getting beat like against FSU, at least he was trying and we were adjusting.

Father wasp, the best post I have ever read!!!! And I wholehardedly agree with all you said.

My point has always been in not the team's record but in how it carries itself and conducts its business. I agree with some post that this team has missed leadership the last two years. It happens more often than we may notice. High School programs always seem to rise and fall on their head coaches. K-State's Bill Snyder is the epidomy of what a leader can do for a program that never had any hope though we surely are not in that category. Fridge leaving left a void in leadership (not to mention technical skill) that Coach O'Leary was not able to fill by himself and that Coach Gailey has absolutely showed nothing. I firmly believe you are or you are not a leader. All of you in management must agree with this. Coach Gailey can't go from being not a leader of young men one year to being a leader the next. That we are 7-5 instead of 10-2 or 11-1 is not the measurement that must be considerd but how the coaches and players conducted their business in arriving at that record. And that falls sorely on the head coach, which in this case is Coach Gailey.

Back